Options

How To: Full Screen/Width Slide-show

bachampbachamp Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited August 15, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I have had a few people ask me how I created my Full screen / width, stretchy slide-show. Here is how I did it.

www.benchampion.net

First and the thing that took me a while to work out is that the images need to be available in the bigger sizes. Mine were set to XLarge but if you want full width on a larger monitor it needs to be bigger. I created a gallery called sideshow and added images that are only 3:1 aspect ratio and set the max size to 3X Large (in Organize -> Organize Site -> Settings -> Security and Privacy -> Maximum Display Size).

Then to add the slide-show to your homepage - Customize -> Customize Site -> Homepage and add a slide-show content block to the body, and use the settings shown below.

9510591102_4da38301d3.jpg

If you are using different aspect rations change it here.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Ben

Comments

• Options
    hendiehendie Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Thanks for sharing, I was wondering about this as well.
  • Options
    electrolyteelectrolyte Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    That is brilliant, thanks for sharing. Love your homepage and the slideshow (helps that the photos are amazing too!).

I'm also interested what theme you used and how you got the social icons bar to be always at the bottom of the screen.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Slide Show flicker
    Nuts, I went to the slideshow area and the only change I made was aspect from 4/3 to 3/1 like you had. I was using Popular Photos. Saved and Published. Did not go to full screen. (Saw later you created a new folder of specific images at 3x - so guess I messed up). Now the smaller slideshow (which is on my homepage, has a flicker in it. Sometimes you can tell after placing the new image, the flicker is a very fast previous image. Put the 3/1 back to 4/3 and still have the flicker. So, seems I broke something doing this. Still not unveiled, so you can't see it. Any one know how to solve this? Will bew looking through threads.
  • Options
    krashedmykarchkrashedmykarch Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Stretchy Slideshow
    Thanks for sharing, Ben, and for your email. If anyone has time/interest I would appreciate a look -esp. if you've been able to make 'Ben's Slideshow' work. I've followed all the same settings and although from the start I have used a single image stretched for my home page I have wanted the slideshow a la Ben, with no luck. I will leave it as is now (for a short while). My opening home page shows a slideshow (4 images) which I cannot get to full screen. Below that I have left my normal home page image which is full screen. The current settings are just for editing purposes and I will return to the single image if I cannot get this to work. Where is js when we need it!
    ~Ciao
    Charles
    Brampton, Canada
    www.charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    Thanks for sharing, Ben, and for your email. If anyone has time/interest I would appreciate a look -esp. if you've been able to make 'Ben's Slideshow' work. I've followed all the same settings and although from the start I have used a single image stretched for my home page I have wanted the slideshow a la Ben, with no luck. I will leave it as is now (for a short while). My opening home page shows a slideshow (4 images) which I cannot get to full screen. Below that I have left my normal home page image which is full screen. The current settings are just for editing purposes and I will return to the single image if I cannot get this to work. Where is js when we need it!

Odd,

I also have some css code, but I didn't think it affected this. But you could try it.
    In customize -> entire site -> add a css block to the very top of the page.

Put this in it:
    .sm-page-layout-region .sm-page-layout-region-top {
      max-width: 90%!important;
    }

.sm-page-layout-region .sm-page-layout-region-bottom {
      max-width: 90%!important;
    }

• Options
    edited August 14, 2013

I think it might be that your images are to tall, seems that smugmug is making it fit height wise as well. On my home page if you reduce the height of the browser it also shrinks the photo. Maybe there is a setting so it can go below the browser.

Ok, think I worked it out after writhing all that. Turn Content Aware Height off in the slideshow settings. Should fix it.
  • Options
    JimClarkJimClark Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    my site is jimclark.smugmug.com Can't figure out how to get these images to fill the screen . I have uploaded images that are 3362X2402 so they should be big enough. Can't find where it is to force using the full size images.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance

Jim
    "Christianity, if false, is of no importance,
    and if true, of infinite importance. The only
    thing it cannot be is moderately
    important." C. S. Lewis
    http://www.photosbyjimclark.com/
  • Options
    charlesdalycharlesdaly Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    bachamp wrote: »
    I think it might be that your images are to tall, seems that smugmug is making it fit height wise as well. On my home page if you reduce the height of the browser it also shrinks the photo. Maybe there is a setting so it can go below the browser.

Ok, think I worked it out after writhing all that. Turn Content Aware Height off in the slideshow settings. Should fix it.
    I put that css in and it changed the width of the top of the page but had no affect on the SS. Turning off the content aware made the images much wider but not close to full screen although I really don't mind it like that. I then cropped an image very exaggerated 18" x 6" witch had no affect in SS width so it must be the container. I also have the container width at 100%

-I just went back into the tools and the control panel for single photo provides for input 'fill width' which is how I got my one image full screen. The control panel for slide show does not have that option and I think that is the problem.
    Isn't this fun?
    Thanks!
    Charles
    Port Credit. Canada
    http://charlesdalyphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    ok, I've changed dimensions on four copies of the same image and only the extreme ratio fills fullscreen but only on my laptop. On the desktop it still a no go.
    C
    Thanks!
    Charles
    Port Credit. Canada
  • Options
    hendiehendie Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2013

Did you try to set the top, bottom, left, right margin to 0, default is 12?
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    hendie wrote: »
    Did you try to set the top, bottom, left, right margin to 0, default is 12?
    Thanks Hendie. Yes I had all the margins set to zero and that messed up (reduced in size) the container for the header and navs so I returned to slightly less than default. I'm thinking my tweak of a few minutes ago will do until SM comes up either with js or a full screen workaround. Disappointing.

Does anyone know where I can find and delete the default NoRightClick? Turning it off in organize also shuts off my custom NRC. Perhaps I have too many instances of NRC but what I get is:
    my custom NRC works alone only when I click on 'Galleries'. On home page slide show and when opening any gallery it shows my custom NRC and the default NRC together. I need to remove the default one.
    Thanks -and please check out the latest ver. and send feedback if you don`t mind and oh, yes, has anyone seen my cameras lately.
    Thanks!
    Charles
    Port Credit. Canada