Options

Subgalleries

pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
edited August 15, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
More levels was a great addition, but it doesn't work the way I'd like.

Folders and Galleries shouldn't be treated differently. If a gallery could have folders inside it (or if we just placed photos inside folders and the concept of galleries went away), it would be far more powerful. It could also eliminate the need for having a separate Events feature.

I already have a folder structure that works for me. But in some cases, I might want to be able to drill down a little deeper. If i have a particularly large gallery, it might be helpful to split it up by date for example. To do that now, I would have to add a new folder to put the galleries inside. That kind of ruins the existing folder structure because where I have always had a list of galleries, I would now have a list of galleries and a folder listed separately. It would be far preferable if the folder was listed right alongside the galleries seamlessly. My visitors shouldn't need to know that it's a folder and not a gallery unless I want them to. This would work if folders and galleries were the same thing, like they are in Windows. I can keep photos in folders, and have additional folders inside those folders. Mimicing that idea in smugmug would make it so much easier to organize.

Then if you add all those nice Events features to all folders, like the ability to select favorites, you could just do away with the separate, confusing Events feature altogether.

Dave