1200mm L zoom!!

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited December 11, 2005 in Cameras
someone posted this on FM and i found it hard to believe. but theres only 5 known in existence. my fellow Dgrinners, i give you. the 75,000 dollar zoom!!

:rofl this is the most cumbersome lense i have ever seen! couldn't you just slap a 2x converter on a 600 and you would only have f/8L. PLUS you would have IS on your side.
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited December 10, 2005
    DanielB wrote:
    someone posted this on FM and i found it hard to believe. but theres only 5 known in existence. my fellow Dgrinners, i give you. the 75,000 dollar zoom!!

rolleyes1.gif this is the most cumbersome lense i have ever seen! couldn't you just slap a 2x converter on a 600 and you would only have f/8L. PLUS you would have IS on your side.
    Just think of the candids you could shoot...:lol4
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    I could see it now
    You see these people toting their boats on trailers......why not a lens the size of a small row boat?

Looks more like a weapon than a lens!!!

I'd like to see the moon shots you could get with that!!
    Imagine the filters for it.....would hafta be the size of a garbage can lid.
    Filter would cost as much as a normal L glass lens.
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Harryb . . . stop drooling on your keyboard.

:heh
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    So what are the specs on this monster? What is the zoom range? How fast is it?

I suppose this is great if it's exactly what you need and you don't have to pay for it yourself. Think Sports Illustrated.
    If not now, when?
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    So what are the specs on this monster? What is the zoom range? How fast is it?

I suppose this is great if it's exactly what you need and you don't have to pay for it yourself. Think Sports Illustrated.
    its a f/5.6L USM lens and is compatable with the 1.4 and 2.0 TCs. Hmmm, 2400mm with the 2.0 TC. Be still my foolish heart. Maybe a home equity loan?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited December 10, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    its a f/5.6L USM lens and is compatable with the 1.4 and 2.0 TCs. Hmmm, 2400mm with the 2.0 TC. Be still my foolish heart. Maybe a home equity loan?

Is it really a zoom, then?
    If not now, when?
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    No, its a telephoto.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    No, its a prime. I think sometimes people (my mom for examplene_nau.gif) use "zoom" and "tele" interchangeably.
    edited December 10, 2005
    Well, I guess that makes it better for birds and wildlife than for big field sports. I was thinking how cool 600-1200 would be for major league baseball. Or downhill skiing for that matter.
    If not now, when?
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Isn't there a nikkor 1200mm, f/alot too?
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    ivar wrote:
    Isn't there a nikkor 1200mm, f/alot too?
    to answer my own question, i was wrong. The one i was thinking of is actually a 2000mm. rolleyes1.gif
  • graeme_7799graeme_7799 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    where did the information come from that there are (supposedly) only 5 of these monsters in existence? I've only seen 2 other photos of this lens, one with a guy holding it in a factory, the other with a man with TWO of these monsters side by side mounted on 1D series cameras.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Maybe a home equity loan?
    Maybe the lens or the home?