Options

eye shots

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited December 10, 2005 in Technique
i really love the abstract-ness of those macro shots that people do if Iris'. i think it is absolutely stunning how complex peoples eyes are. i would really love to experiment in this "field" and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what exactly i would need. i realize i probly need something involved with macro.:D thanks again guys. you haven't failed me yet:thumb
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    A good place to start would be the 100mm f/2.8 macro. But you may even be able to do something with the 50mm you have.
    DanielB wrote:
    i really love the abstract-ness of those macro shots that people do if Iris'. i think it is absolutely stunning how complex peoples eyes are. i would really love to experiment in this "field" and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what exactly i would need. i realize i probly need something involved with macro.:D thanks again guys. you haven't failed me yetthumb.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2005
    A good place to start would be the 100mm f/2.8 macro. But you may even be able to do something with the 50mm you have.
    how much would i have to crop it thone_nau.gif to really get detail.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited December 10, 2005
    DanielB wrote:
    how much would i have to crop it thone_nau.gif to really get detail.
    any other tips from the pros at Dgrinne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    You could always try it with the 50mm since you already have the lens.

The 100mm will fill the frame with the eye/sclera and the iris is about 1/4 of the frame or so.

A 180mm macro would probably fill the frame with the iris or at least come the closest to any of the lenses to do so.
    DanielB wrote:
    any other tips from the pros at Dgrinne_nau.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    A couple of my favorites in this genre:

Natalia Worthington

Jim Fuglestad
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    A couple of my favorites in this genre:

Natalia Worthington

Jim Fuglestad
    how does this work? lol. when i first saw someone do this, i dragged my girlfriend over who has magnificent eyes and told her to hold her eyes open. lol. i tried to do them justice with the blue hue. but hers are just gorgeous.

its a tad over-sharpend tho. BTW this was taken with my little point and shoot because at the time i did not have a D-SLR
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 10, 2005
    I use an 80-300 Telephoto that has a macro switch built in on my KM 5D. This combo lens does well and allows you to switch on the fly. I love the results. Keep in mind that even animals have interesting iris :-)

One thing to remember is to keep in mind what is behind you as it will can reflect in the iris and ruin a shot if that is not what you are after.

Also watch the ambient light as it will cause the pupils to restrict and give you pinholes. Not enough light and you will not see the color of the eyes well.

I am going to try some shots with a Cokin Star 8 filter to see what results come out.

39331921-L.jpg

Oh, and a cooperative subject really helps. :-) Bugsy loves cheese.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com