Options

Removing mold from lenses and mold prevention

MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited August 18, 2013 in Accessories
Hi,

I have a couple of lenses that have developed mould on the inner glass. I have had a Canon lens inspected and it will cost over HK$2000 to replace one of the elements. Is replacement my only option?

What is the best way to prevent mould in the future. I am in Hong Kong and the climate is hot and humid and most things will go mouldy. I have tried to be careful with my equipment. I store in ziplock bags with large amounts of silica gel but this hasn't stopped the problem. I have just found new mould on a Tamron lens.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    edited August 16, 2013
    Lens mold/mildew/fungus is insidious once it takes hold.

Prevention is as easy as "fresh" desiccant to keep the container dry inside. Not all containers are equally impervious to moisture infusion, so be sure to use a proper container to work as a "dry box", and then everything you wish to preserve needs to be stored in the dry box with the fresh desiccant when not in use.

Most desiccant (silica gel and Bentonite clay) can be regenerated. http://www.sorbentsystems.com/desiccant_regeneration.html Follow the directions "exactly" for proper results. (This includes how the desiccant is cooled.)

In really difficult environments, I suggest doubling the suggested desiccant per unit volume.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Also, light is your friend. Expose the lenses to UV, even just direct sunlight for the UV content, to inactivate the current extant fungas, and store the lenses with the caps off, if possible, to inhibit further growth and sprouting of more spores.

Ziplock bags are better than nothing, but solid clear plastic boxes with 0-ring type seals might be better for humidity control.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Lens mold/mildew/fungus is insidious once it takes hold.

Prevention is as easy as "fresh" desiccant to keep the container dry inside. Not all containers are equally impervious to moisture infusion, so be sure to use a proper container to work as a "dry box", and then everything you wish to preserve needs to be stored in the dry box with the fresh desiccant when not in use.

Most desiccant (silica gel and Bentonite clay) can be regenerated. http://www.sorbentsystems.com/desiccant_regeneration.html Follow the directions "exactly" for proper results. (This includes how the desiccant is cooled.)

In really difficult environments, I suggest doubling the suggested desiccant per unit volume.

Hi Ziggy,

the link is down. I get 403 - forbidden. Get the same error for the root address.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    I did think the ziplock bags would work. They are heavy duty/industrial, not sandwich bag types. I buy the silica gel wholesale and use plenty.
    It looks like I need to invest in proper storage.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    edited August 17, 2013
    Martyn wrote: »
    Hi Ziggy,

the link is down. I get 403 - forbidden. Get the same error for the root address.

Link works fine here.

Just do an Internet search for "silica gel and Bentonite clay regeneration".
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Link works fine here.

Just do an Internet search for "silica gel and Bentonite clay regeneration".

It might be a location thing.

Just tried recharging some of the gel. The outer bag started melting!
    Not doing very with any of this. lol.