Options

Recent Photos option to exclude unlisted galleries

billwbillw Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited August 17, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Following from threads on the behaviour of Unlisted and Private galleries, I gather that, on launch, images from Unlisted galleries did not show up in photo content blocks. A lot of users (rightfully) didn't like this as they used Unlisted galleries for various purposes including site banners and such. This has now apparently been changed.

My issue is that images from Unlisted galleries show up in Recent Photos. I don't want that. I want visitors to be able to click an image in Recent Photos and go to the photo. I don't want them to end up in an unlisted gallery.

Even images from Private galleries show up there. The latter is bad as 1) the image shows up (!!!) but has "PRIVATE" across it, and 2) clicking on the image gives a 404 error. (That is probably worth a bug report which I will do separately).

It seems to me that the place to resolve this is with an option in Recent Photos:
[] Include images from Unlisted galleries

That way the user can choose which behaviour works for them. It should be off by default. This option may also be useful in other photo content blocks.

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    As a logged in user you will see everything on your site. Logged out and visitors will not.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Are you sure that they're not just appearing to you because you're logged on? Because I can't see any photos on your Recent Additions page that have "Private" written on them.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    Are you sure that they're not just appearing to you because you're logged on? Because I can't see any photos on your Recent Additions page that have "Private" written on them.
    I swear I was seeing them when logged out! ne_nau.gif I keep Chome open so I can check what a visitor sees. You're right, I'm now not seeing them. Nor am I seeing the images from Unlisted galleries when logged out.

Sorry for the false alarm.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    billw wrote: »
    I swear I was seeing them when logged out! ne_nau.gif I keep Chome open so I can check what a visitor sees. You're right, I'm now not seeing them. Nor am I seeing the images from Unlisted galleries when logged out.

Spoke too soon! Here's a screenshot of visitor view of my Recent Additions:
    i-4BTx9Fr-L.jpg

Whew! I'm not seeing things.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Spoke too soon! Here's a screenshot of visitor view of my Recent Additions:

Whew! I'm not seeing things.
    Don't trust visitor view where ever you clicked that.
    Are you really referring to "Preview" on customize page?

This can only be seen clean when logged out after "unveiling".
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Don't trust visitor view where ever you clicked that.
    Are you really referring to "Preview" on customize page?

This can only be seen clean when logged out after "unveiling".

I "unveiled" days ago. By "visitor view" I meant that I have have a second browser open (Chrome -- Firefox is my primary browser). In Chrome I am a "visitor" (not logged in). I do not see the "owner tool bar" in Chrome so I'm sure that I'm not logged in when viewing in Chrome. I cleared the cache in Chrome before taking that screen shot.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    OK, this appears to now be working as expected. Was it something I did differently or was a bug actually fixed? Don't know. Anyway, from testing I've done this morning (which involved creating a "Test" page with a Multiple Photos block and doing "Item I Choose" for that block) ...
    1) The "Multiple Photos / Choose from recent photos" block does not show images from unlisted galleries to logged out viewers. Choosing "Visitor View" in the settings overlay correctly shows this.
    2) The "Multiple Photos / Photos I choose" block does show images from unlisted galleries but does not show images from Protected galleries to logged out viewers. There is apparently no "Visitor View" option in the overlay so you have to check this while logged out.
    3) If a viewer accesses a Protected folder or gallery with the password, then goes to a page displaying a "Multiple Photos / Photos I choose" block, they will see the images from the Protected galleries that they have entered a password for.

Nice! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    3) If a viewer accesses a Protected folder or gallery with the password, then goes to a page displaying a "Multiple Photos / Photos I choose" block, they will see the images from the Protected galleries that they have entered a password for.

Nice! clap.gif
    Something else needs to be checked please.
    Add a couple keywords to a passworded gallery. Go to the gallery logged out and enter the password.

Open the keyword page /keyword and see if they showed up when still logged out.

It has been requested in past that anytime visitors enter the password to enter a passworded gallery
    the keyword cloud of this "password" is added to the site keyword cloud and shows in the keyword
    page list. This is extremely important to families and Pros.

As a logged in user you do see all these hidden KW's so they must be added to the site keyword cloud.
    So adding hidden KW's is already done.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Something else needs to be checked please.
    Add a couple keywords to a passworded gallery. Go to the gallery logged out and enter the password.

Open the keyword page /keyword and see if they showed up when still logged out.

I hope I checked this properly.

I already have many passworded galleries. They are in Geneaology/family-name/ ("family-name" is also a folder). The password is on the Geneaology folder. Many photos in the contained galleries have keywords.

When viewing logged out, having entered the passworded folder (then the family-name folder, then one of the galleries), I do not see keywords from galleries inside Geneaology/family-name/ in the keyword cloud. When viewing the /keyword page logged-in, I do see keywords from those galleries.

The "family-name" folder has "Smugmug searchable" set to "No".

If you'd like me to create a test gallery at the root level that is passworded in order to test this again, let me know.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    The "family-name" folder has "Smugmug searchable" set to "No"...
    If you have a password on the gallery every settings could be on. The password would keep people out
    but for you logged in you'd see everything on any system pages like keyword, search, etc..

On my legacy site every PW'ed gallery was set to public settings except for the password. The password
    stopped searches, web crawling from seeing into the gallery. But I could post direct linked photos to
    blogs, forums, etc. External/embeddable links on.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    If you have a password on the gallery every settings could be on. The password would keep people out
    but for you logged in you'd see everything on any system pages like keyword, search, etc..

OK, I've set the Genealogy and the family-name folders to "Web Searchable - Site Setting" and "Smugmug seachable - Site Setting" and one of the galleries to "Web Searchable - ON" and "Smugmug seachable - ON". Still no keywords from the gallery on the /keyword page when logged out. Since I'm seeing those keywords when logged in I'm guessing that this is not an issue with waiting for keyword indexing to catch up?
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Back in June when viewing a demo I mentioned to Baldy about adding the keyword cloud of passworded
    galleries when the KW is imputed. He liked the idea but not in this release. So if we keep reminding him
    maybe this could happen in the future. :D