Canon Lens Question...

jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
edited December 13, 2005 in Cameras
Hi...
I have been thinking about purchasing the
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Lens.
Does anyone have any thoughts about the lens ?

Thanks - jr
:scratch

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 10, 2005
    I'm going to push this over to Cameras for a bit better exposure.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    jerryr wrote:
    Hi...

Thanks - jr
    headscratch.gif
    Affordable, yes. Large zoom, yes. however, of all the reviews i have read, most of the pictures come out very soft and sometimes out of focus. i am in the same dilemma, i went to the camera store to try it out. it didn't seem like it had nearly the fast autofocus a USM should, and when i took photos. i could only crop it very slightly and still retain some sharpness. overall, if you are needing a zoom, i would go for the 100-300 USM canon puts out. it is an overall better zoom, and the USM is much much faster for it. i'm getting it until i can save for a 70-200 f/4L

just my .02thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• kenken Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    DanielB wrote:
    Affordable, yes. Large zoom, yes. however, of all the reviews i have read, most of the pictures come out very soft and sometimes out of focus. i am in the same dilemma, i went to the camera store to try it out. it didn't seem like it had nearly the fast autofocus a USM should, and when i took photos. i could only crop it very slightly and still retain some sharpness. overall, if you are needing a zoom, i would go for the 100-300 USM canon puts out. it is an overall better zoom, and the USM is much much faster for it. i'm getting it until i can save for a 70-200 f/4L

just my .02thumb.gif
    I have been looking at the same lenses, it look like the new 70-300 IS usm has been getting some good reviews this one even calls it "a hidden L" http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_70300_456is/index.htm

Fred Miranda reviews are also positive.

Any one else have any experience with this lens?
    Life is too important to take seriously, no one gets out of it alive.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    I'm pretty happy with my 70-300 mm IS.

See this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=22891
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    jerryr wrote:
    Hi...
    Its fine if you are on a budget or cannot afford the 70-200/4L lens. That is a much sharper, much better lens. More money, and only 200mm though. I used to have the 75-300 USM lens. The USM is really pretty slow on that lens, it does NOT focus fast. The images are a bit soft as others have noticed. On the other hand it is inexpensive, compact and light.

It depends on the size of your wallet and how crisp you need the photos to be. For the small price tag its a nice lens.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • kenken Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Its fine if you are on a budget or cannot afford the 70-200/4L lens. That is a much sharper, much better lens. More money, and only 200mm though. I used to have the 75-300 USM lens. The USM is really pretty slow on that lens, it does NOT focus fast. The images are a bit soft as others have noticed. On the other hand it is inexpensive, compact and light.

It depends on the size of your wallet and how crisp you need the photos to be. For the small price tag its a nice lens.
    I beleive that the 70-300 IS USM is a new lens that may improve on some of the poor perfromance of the 75-300. You get an extra 100mm and IS for about the same price as the 70-200 L. So it is not an inexpensive alternative. That why I'd like to know if anyone has real wold experience with it.
    Life is too important to take seriously, no one gets out of it alive.