Options

Nav Bar with Hidden Folders

kidego32kidego32 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited August 25, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hello,

My Nav Bar is as follows:

HOME GALLERIES SEARCH TO SHARE BACKUPS

The last two menu items (TO SHARE and BACKUPS) are links to hidden folders, meant to only show when logged in.

Right now, visitors to the site can see those two menu items and can click on them. This leads them to an empty page, which gives the visitor the impression of an unfinished site.

Ideally, those menu items that link to hidden folders should not be displayed at all. Any way to achieve this?

Comments

• Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Given this, "meant to only show when logged in", I'd take them out of the primary nav and add links in an HTML block wherever you wanted, which you can then show/hide based on the logged in class "sm-user-loggedin".

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    aschendel wrote: »
    Given this, "meant to only show when logged in", I'd take them out of the primary nav and add links in an HTML block wherever you wanted, which you can then show/hide based on the logged in class "sm-user-loggedin".

Andy

Thanks for your reply Andy. Ok, so let's assume I didn't use the words quoted above. The question then is why are hidden folders displayed in the navigation for visitors? This defeats the purpose of hidden folders. Visitors click on them and are led to an empty page. We should not have to "hack" the navigation to actually hide "hidden" folders.
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    kidego32 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Andy. Ok, so let's assume I didn't use the words quoted above. The question then is why are hidden folders displayed in the navigation for visitors? This defeats the purpose of hidden folders. Visitors click on them and are led to an empty page. We should not have to "hack" the navigation to actually hide "hidden" folders.

Too big of a question for me, and hard to know if it's a bug or a feature at this point. If you can describe how you think it should work better a Feature Request might make sense...

Andy
  • Options
    DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Mine are actually hidden when unlisted. I haven't tried folders set to "Private" but the links say "My Link (Unlisted)". When viewing logged out, they aren't there.

I can't try folders set to private right now though.
  • Options
    einateinat Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    This is not a solution but something you can do in the meanwhile - there's a way of customizing 404 pages (error pages). I admit - I haven't tried it myself, but maybe it could be of some help to you.

http://news.smugmug.com/2013/07/31/smug-tip-customize-your-404-search-page-and-more
  • Options
    snakeey11snakeey11 Registered Users Posts: 88 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 20, 2013
    This is by design. If you manually select (using the "Page I Choose" option) an unlisted folder/page/gallery as a link in a menu content block, it will show up to visitors. Private items will not.

The exception to this is when you choose a folder and then toggle the "Include Folder Contents" option to on. In that case, any automatically included children that are unlisted will not show up to visitors.

-Mike
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    (and an avid landscape photographer - view my website)
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    snakeey11 wrote: »
    This is by design. If you manually select (using the "Page I Choose" option) an unlisted folder/page/gallery as a link in a menu content block, it will show up to visitors. Private items will not.

The exception to this is when you choose a folder and then toggle the "Include Folder Contents" option to on. In that case, any automatically included children that are unlisted will not show up to visitors.

-Mike

Mike, you've described exactly how this is working now. In my case, I've manually selected "Page I Choose" and chosen an unlisted folder. I've also chosen to "Include Folder Contents". With these settings, even though the main navigation links to an unlisted folder, visitors still see the link in the navigation menu. When visitors click on the link, they are taken to an empty page, since the folder and it's contents are unlisted.

In my opinion, this is not the way it should work. Menu links to hidden/unlisted folders should not be showing in the navigation menu unless you are logged in.

I've solved it with a few CSS hacks, but this shouldn't be required.
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Just went to your website kidego32 ... and in the nav bar are these two entries:
    "To Share"
    "Backups"
    ... both of these take me to a blank page (it has header, nav menu and a breadcrumb - rest of screen is your background grey)
    Not sure if this is what you wanted fixed.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    Just went to your website kidego32 ... and in the nav bar are these two entries:
    "To Share"
    "Backups"
    ... both of these take me to a blank page (it has header, nav menu and a breadcrumb - rest of screen is your background grey)
    Not sure if this is what you wanted fixed.

Yes, that's the problem. "To Share" and "Backups" are unlisted folders. They should not be displaying to visitors, but they are.

What's strange is that I put some CSS hacks to hide them, but it appears it's not working for all browsers.
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Until the code wizards come up with a solution, if you're comfortable with leaving the navbar links visible, you could create a page and link to those items in the navbar. Then the page would have either a welcoming photo or helpful instructions for sharing and backups on the page and then they can click a button or link that is on the page to 'enter' the full share and backup pages and sign in.
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• Options
    PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    I'll pile on here... it would be nice to be able to hide menu items when not logged in.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    Follow up... I was able to hide the Browse link from visitor view by using the css in this thread...
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1902989#post1902989

I also created similar css for hiding it on the mobile site as well and I've posted the code to that thread.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited August 25, 2013
    PilotBrad wrote: »
    Follow up... I was able to hide the Browse link from visitor view by using the css in this thread...
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1902989#post1902989

I also created similar css for hiding it on the mobile site as well and I've posted the code to that thread.
    You've removed it from your menu but everyone should be aware that removing it from the menu doesn't remove the usability of the URL. I'd guess that all smug users know that /browse exists; don't assume that no one will access your site using that link.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    I'd guess that all smug users know that /browse exists; don't assume that no one will access your site using that link.

I agree, if someone implements this they need to understand it isn't a method of securing content.

in my case this is a useful tool which allows me to guide guide visitors to my Portfolio without having them become distracted by all my public folders and galleries. If they want to "browse" my public content that's OK, but I'd rather lead them to my Portfolio galleries which are collections of content from other public galleries.