Options

Can you make this in new SM?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited August 17, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I use this type of gallery display (see image below) frequently for showing categorized views of large events. In old SM, I use a single piece of javascript that takes a single category or sub-category of many galleries and formats it this way automatically without any manually constructed HTML. With no custom JS in new SM, can this be done in new SM?

FYI, live operating version of this in old SM here: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/Family/John-Muir-Trail
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Yes, this is actually pretty easy to achieve in the new SmugMug. You can create a new Page, then add several Galleries blocks to the page (Scenery, People, Other, Days). For each galleries block, you can choose to have it show every gallery from a given folder, or to show precisely the galleries you choose.

My browse page is set up like this, I've manually picked galleries to create "Photos", "Japan places and events", "Travel" and "Events" blocks:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/browse

Instead of adding this as a new Page, you can instead customise a folder in your hierarchy and just begin by removing the default gallery navigation block (which shows all of the galleries at the current level).
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    Yes, this is actually pretty easy to achieve in the new SmugMug. You can create a new Page, then add several Galleries blocks to the page (Scenery, People, Other, Days). For each galleries block, you can choose to have it show every gallery from a given folder, or to show precisely the galleries you choose.

My browse page is set up like this, I've manually picked galleries to create "Photos", "Japan places and events", "Travel" and "Events" blocks:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/browse

Instead of adding this as a new Page, you can instead customise a folder in your hierarchy and just begin by removing the default gallery navigation block (which shows all of the galleries at the current level).
    So you constructed your Browse page somewhat manually? By placing text boxes and gallery boxes onto a page and selecting which galleries should display in each gallery box? So, if I have 30 pages like this, I'd have to construct each one manually and maintain them manually as I add galleries?

FYI, this is how I display photos from large events where I've broken a large number of photos into categorized galleries. Between my two accounts, I probably have 30 of these types of displays. Right now in old SM, I add one line of metadata to a javascript table and the whole page is constructed automatically by script from a single subcategory page of galleries. Today, I just decided to add a capability to these pages and I simply added it to the script and all the pages using the script were automatically updated.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    jfriend wrote: »
    So you constructed your Browse page somewhat manually? By placing text boxes and gallery boxes onto a page and selecting which galleries should display in each gallery box? So, if I have 30 pages like this, I'd have to construct each one manually and maintain them manually as I add galleries?

I've only placed Galleries boxes, not text boxes (they have a built-in title). If you just want to display the contents of complete folders, you can just pick the folder and it'll list every gallery inside it (instead of picking those galleries individually). It would probably only take 2 minutes to make each page, so you can be done in an afternoon. It'd be faster to do manually than rewriting your script for the new SmugMug API, even assuming you could run JavaScript on the new SmugMug.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    I've only placed Galleries boxes, not text boxes (they have a built-in title). If you just want to display the contents of complete folders, you can just pick the folder and it'll list every gallery inside it (instead of picking those galleries individually). It would probably only take 2 minutes to make each page, so you can be done in an afternoon. It'd be faster to do manually than rewriting your script for the new SmugMug API, even assuming you could run JavaScript on the new SmugMug.
    OK, thx for the ideas. I guess I'll have to try a prototype in a test account and see how well it works. I'd still rather write a script and have the presentation all automated, but maybe there's a work-around for this script.
    --John
    HomepagePopular