Sweetgrass

jpope42jpope42 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
edited August 18, 2013 in Street and Documentary
Recently, when driving route 17 in South Carolina we came upon the sweetgrass basket makers, who traditionally sell from the side of the highway. We randomly picked one, stopped and were lucky enough to get meet a really interesting craftswoman named Anna Dawson. She had been taught the art by her grandmother, and as is the tradition, is teaching her granddaughter. She told my kids how the baskets are made, what the materials are and where they came from.

_JHP2579_e2_850_sh-L.jpg

_JHP2583_e2_850_sh-L.jpg

_JHP2584_e2_850_sh-L.jpg

_JHP2590_cr_e2_850-L.jpg

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Interesting shots. Nice conversion work.

I stopped at a similar setting on US 17 in Georgia last year. I started firing off a few frames to document the weaver's activities when, suddenly, most of the weavers jumped up and fled the scene. One of the two ladies that remained started mumbling something about the other ladies not having any " papers ". I had to laugh.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    I think the first two are quite nice, love the composition in #2. For #1, I feel it's good to get the camera down to eye level or just below with the subject. Also, it's fine to have eye contact in these types of situations.