Options

Thumnails partially unresponsive after browser resize.

DJDigitalDaveDJDigitalDave Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
edited August 30, 2013 in Bug Reporting
In the Smugmug gallery style, the thumbnail block becomes partially unresponsive after enlarging my browser to full-sreen and/or reducing the browser from full-screen back to a smaller size.

Clicking the thumbnail navigation arrows will cause the pagination display to change and the main photo will also change to display the first photo on the corresponding page of thumbnails. But the thumbnails, themselves, do not change from whatever thumbnail page was being displayed prior to resizing the browser. Clicking on one of the thumbnails seems to "refresh" the thumbnail block, effectively fixing the problem, but I'm not confident that site viewers will figure that out necessarily.

This behavior is occurring on Safari 6.0.5, Firefox 22.0, and Chrome 28.0, all on a 15-inch MacBookPro Retina running OSX 10.8.4. Haven't yet tried on a PC.

- Dave

Comments

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    In the Smugmug gallery style, the thumbnail block becomes partially unresponsive after enlarging my browser to full-sreen and/or reducing the browser from full-screen back to a smaller size.

Clicking the thumbnail navigation arrows will cause the pagination display to change and the main photo will also change to display the first photo on the corresponding page of thumbnails. But the thumbnails, themselves, do not change from whatever thumbnail page was being displayed prior to resizing the browser. Clicking on one of the thumbnails seems to "refresh" the thumbnail block, effectively fixing the problem, but I'm not confident that site viewers will figure that out necessarily.

This behavior is occurring on Safari 6.0.5, Firefox 22.0, and Chrome 28.0, all on a 15-inch MacBookPro Retina running OSX 10.8.4. Haven't yet tried on a PC.

- Dave

Hi Dave, this is working fine for me on a 27inch iMac. I will test tomorrow from my 15inch MB Pro.
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    I'm seeing somewhat related behavior on a PC using Firefox 22.0 and a 24" HP monitor. When I move to full screen, which requires both closing the bookmarks sidebar and hitting F11 to get rid of the menu bar, the thumbnails do not necessarily reposition themselves correctly. Refreshing the page realigns them. Sometimes the thumbnails get misaligned if I just change the width of the sidebar. My going-to-be-unveiled-one-of-these-days homepage has a little note on it, "Best viewing: go to full screen mode (F11 on a PC), close sidebars, refresh the page".

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hi Dave, this is working fine for me on a 27inch iMac. I will test tomorrow from my 15inch MB Pro.

Thanks, Michael. Please post your results with your MB Pro. I will test on my girlfriend's MB Pro and post back with results.

BTW, if it makes any difference, my site is not yet unveiled.

- Dave
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Jtring wrote: »
    I'm seeing somewhat related behavior on a PC using Firefox 22.0 and a 24" HP monitor. When I move to full screen, which requires both closing the bookmarks sidebar and hitting F11 to get rid of the menu bar, the thumbnails do not necessarily reposition themselves correctly. Refreshing the page realigns them. Sometimes the thumbnails get misaligned if I just change the width of the sidebar. My going-to-be-unveiled-one-of-these-days homepage has a little note on it, "Best viewing: go to full screen mode (F11 on a PC), close sidebars, refresh the page".

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com

Jim, the thumbnail repositioning sometimes happens on my end as well, in addition to the behavior I described in my OP. What happens when you click on the thumbnail navigation arrows after you resize your browser?

- Dave
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Dave, I can reproduce exactly what you described in your first post. Changing the size of the part of the screen available to SmugMug can leave the thumbnails inappropriately sized (too small) and not always arranged to fill the left side of the space as they should. Hitting the navigation > or < arrows does nothing to resize or rearrange them. Doing so just moves to another block of thumbnails with the same size and alignment. Selecting an individual thumbnail forces the refresh that launches the necessarly resizing and rearrangement. What seems odd is that there is no consistency I can see in how regarding when the thumbnails become inappropriately sized. It seems to depend not just on the previous screen state but how you got there a few steps before. The misalignment seems most commonly generated if one opens a gallery with sidebars on and in less than full screen mode and then moves to no sidebars/full screen. But going back and forth from there is sometimes problem-free. I don't claim a full picture of the behavior.

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    One more quirk, again applicable to the SmugMug gallery theme under Firefox on a PC. Sometimes when removing the Firefox sidebar but not going full screen, SmugMug resizes the main image as if the browser was in full screen mode. The main image lops off the bottom. A refresh (or going full screen) makes all healthy again. BTW, I don't know if it should make a difference but my monitor uses a 16x10 aspect ratio (1920 x 1200). -- Jim Ringland
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    This seems to be related to this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=239162

I have seen this behavior as well...but haven't found a pattern to consistently reproduce it. I did get it to happen in both Chrome and Firefox.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    Dave, I can reproduce exactly what you described in your first post. Changing the size of the part of the screen available to SmugMug can leave the thumbnails inappropriately sized (too small) and not always arranged to fill the left side of the space as they should. Hitting the navigation > or < arrows does nothing to resize or rearrange them. Doing so just moves to another block of thumbnails with the same size and alignment. Selecting an individual thumbnail forces the refresh that launches the necessarly resizing and rearrangement. What seems odd is that there is no consistency I can see in how regarding when the thumbnails become inappropriately sized. It seems to depend not just on the previous screen state but how you got there a few steps before. The misalignment seems most commonly generated if one opens a gallery with sidebars on and in less than full screen mode and then moves to no sidebars/full screen. But going back and forth from there is sometimes problem-free. I don't claim a full picture of the behavior.

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com

Jim, thanks so much for testing this. The only difference in what I experience vs. what you describe is that when I click on the navigation arrows the thumbnail block doesn't change at all, i.e., it continues to display the same block of thumbnails even though the pagination widget shows the page numbers changing and the main display photo changes correspondingly. I should also point out that clicking on a thumbnail actually refreshes the entire page, thereby resetting the thumbnail block.

-Dave
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    pbandj wrote: »
    This seems to be related to this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=239162

I have seen this behavior as well...but haven't found a pattern to consistently reproduce it. I did get it to happen in both Chrome and Firefox.

It certainly seems to be, at the very least, a variation on what's described in that thread. As far as reproducing it, it happens as described in my OP 100% of the time on my end (at least on my MBPr).

- Dave
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    Thanks, Michael. Please post your results with your MB Pro. I will test on my girlfriend's MB Pro and post back with results.

BTW, if it makes any difference, my site is not yet unveiled.

- Dave

Michael, I tested on my girlfriend's 15" MBPr (exact same configuration as mine) and the behavior reproduced precisely as reported in my OP. I'm curious to see if you find the same on your MBP.

Also, I checked Andy's Moonriver site, which is unveiled, and the behavior persisted. So the problem is not likely related to whether or not a site is unveiled.

Thanks again for following up on this.

- Dave
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    As far as reproducing it, it happens as described in my OP 100% of the time on my end (at least on my MBPr).

- Dave

I was able to reproduce this behavior consistently as well. After a resize, clicking the thumbnail navigation arrows doesn't refresh the thumbnails. Broken in both Firefox and Chrome.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013

Michael, wondering if you tested on your MBP yet. Curious to know if you see the reported behavior.

- Dave
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Michael, wondering if you tested on your MBP yet. Curious to know if you see the reported behavior.

- Dave

Hi Dave,

It actually turns out I lost my MBP charger. 11doh.gif

I have another one being delivered tomorrow. Please bump this thread in the early afternoon if you don't see a response from me.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    I thought I'd mention that I'm on the most up-to-date version of Chrome; windows PC and this is very broken. Current version of Firefox as well where I can reproduce the behavior.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Hi Dave,

It actually turns out I lost my MBP charger. 11doh.gif

I have another one being delivered tomorrow. Please bump this thread in the early afternoon if you don't see a response from me.

Hi Michael, per your request, I'm bumping up this thread. Hope you were able to procure a charger for your MBP!

- Dave
  • Options
    starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Same bug occurs on an iPad when switching from portrait to landscape mode (or vice versa). I've found one site that did not show this bug, but it was one that had a 4 X 2 grid of thumbnails that did not re-size as the window was re-sized (i.e. always a 4 X 2 grid). I can't find it now, but it was one of the sites in the "show us your unveiled sites" thread.
  • Options
    starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    I'm wrong -- the site I thought worked doesn't:

http://photos.terrylowe.com/Photography/Bird-Pics-41913

It's just that it doesn't re-size the thumbnail flow unless the window is made very narrow.

Very glad to see the "< >" for next previous picture is back in the gallery view.
    Same bug occurs on an iPad when switching from portrait to landscape mode (or vice versa). I've found one site that did not show this bug, but it was one that had a 4 X 2 grid of thumbnails that did not re-size as the window was re-sized (i.e. always a 4 X 2 grid). I can't find it now, but it was one of the sites in the "show us your unveiled sites" thread.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Tested on a PC (15" Toshiba Satellite, Chrome browser), same behavior as on the two MBP Retinas I previously tested on. Thus far, I have yet to see a (new) Smug site in the Smugmug-style not exhibit this problem.

mbonocore, have you tested on your MBP yet?

Anyone else able to reproduce this behavior?

- Dave
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Here's another variation on the theme. If I have a gallery with multiple pages of thumbnails, below the thumbnails is the text listing the number of thumbnails pages with the arrow. After a resize, if I click those page numbers to navigate to, say, page 3 of 15, the thumbnails do not refresh. Side note - it's irritating that I have to click the number to make the list drop down, and clicking the arrow (which is what I try intuitively) doesn't do anything.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    pbandj wrote: »
    Here's another variation on the theme. If I have a gallery with multiple pages of thumbnails, below the thumbnails is the text listing the number of thumbnails pages with the arrow. After a resize, if I click those page numbers to navigate to, say, page 3 of 15, the thumbnails do not refresh. Side note - it's irritating that I have to click the number to make the list drop down, and clicking the arrow (which is what I try intuitively) doesn't do anything.

Yes, indeed, that is another symptom of this bug. (And I agree that it's completely counter-intuitive that the down-arrow is not clickable - it's the only arrow in the gallery UI that doesn't function.) headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Found one site that doesn't exhibit the borked thumbnail behavior, but that site is fixed-width, not stretchy, so none of the gallery content resizes along with the browser.

Would sure like to know if anyone at Smugmug can confirm this bug...

- Dave
  • Options
    moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    There is a fix for this in the works. The brokenness is basically that if you do a resize that causes a page-size change to the thumbnails, all sorts of things did not update and broke (as starrynight pointed out)
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Found one site that doesn't exhibit the borked thumbnail behavior, but that site is fixed-width, not stretchy, so none of the gallery content resizes along with the browser.

Would sure like to know if anyone at Smugmug can confirm this bug...

- Dave

Dave, we have a fix for this on the way!
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Dave, we have a fix for this on the way!

Excellent, thank you for verifying that you guys are aware of the bug and a fix is in the works. If possible, please post back to this thread when the fix is deployed as I'm holding off on my unveil until then.

Thanks again for your attention to this; I know you folks at Smugmug are slammed with support matters at the moment. You're all doing a great job!

- Dave
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Excellent, thank you for verifying that you guys are aware of the bug and a fix is in the works. If possible, please post back to this thread when the fix is deployed as I'm holding off on my unveil until then.

Thanks again for your attention to this; I know you folks at Smugmug are slammed with support matters at the moment. You're all doing a great job!

- Dave

Thanks for the kind word Dave! Anddddddd, this should be fixed live! Can you verify it is now working for you? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Thanks for the kind word Dave! Anddddddd, this should be fixed live! Can you verify it is now working for you? Thanks!

It works just exactly *perfect*!

Thanks for replying back with the update, Michael.

- Dave
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    One more quirk, again applicable to the SmugMug gallery theme under Firefox on a PC. Sometimes when removing the Firefox sidebar but not going full screen, SmugMug resizes the main image as if the browser was in full screen mode. The main image lops off the bottom. A refresh (or going full screen) makes all healthy again. BTW, I don't know if it should make a difference but my monitor uses a 16x10 aspect ratio (1920 x 1200). -- Jim Ringland

I've tested the various screen re-sizing issues since I too posted earlier on this thread. The basic thumbnail handling is much improved. However, the extra quirk that I noted in item #7 on this thread, quoted above, remains. Both the main image and the thumbnails can still lop off the bottom of the screen when I remove the Firefox browser sidebar but don't hit F11 to remove the menu bar up top. If I scroll up so the blue "NEW SMUGMUG PREVIEW" bar goes away, just the main image caption and the page box under the thumbnails get lopped off. A screen refresh doesn't necessarily fix things. I think that's a change from the earlier behavior. Going into full screen mode (F11) makes all look right.

Jim Ringland
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    I am not seeing the "stuck" thumbnails anymore on resize. I am getting inconsistent size thumbs and sometimes not filling the thumbs page all the way (only sixteen thumbs when showing 5 thumbs across). Sometimes get 4 across; then 5 then 4 etc. See this thread for more (this thread points back to the thread here) http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1903084#post1903084

So THUMBS STILL BROKEN
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2013
    I've been doing a fair amount of testing prior to unveiling. All the sizing problems I had are gone. For my needs, this bug has been nicely swatted. Thx. -- Jim Ringland
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    That's weird, my last post (about 5 minutes ago) isn't showing up here to me. Seems my "16 thumb issue" is resolved with MAc/Chrome! Probably just as well it is missing as I did not catch earlier up the post that a fix HAD been implemented - my bad. Yahooo! One step closer to unveil.

EDIT: Was told nothing was done yet (cause they could not figure it out) on my particular issue; but it appears to be fixed perhaps with something in the new code they did. I do want to say that Moiraine has been working with me through PM very diligently and with great effort to solve my problem. Thank you Moiraine for your SUPER support!