Client login page . . . . easy! . . .no?

OwenMathiasOwenMathias Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
edited November 10, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Firstly, very welcoming and thankful to the Smugmug team for their upgrade. The display of galleries to clients is important, and the old style just looked . . . . well, OLD!

I, like many, moved my main site away from Smugmug in order to present a professional appearance to prospective clients, SEO and ability to easily customised. Although I had spent months getting smugmug to look something like a real website, I was able to build a smarter wordpress site in less than 4 hours.

I'm very happy with my main site being Wordpress based upon my own server and I use smugmug for client viewing of their galleries.

Unfortunately, during the upgrade, javascript abilities have gone, and I can no longer find a way for my clients to log into their gallery.

I do not want to link them to a page with a list of all my other galleries, that's just not how I work. I want a single page where they can enter their nicename or nicename/password and they're taken straight through.

Is this too much to ask for?

Many thanks

Owen Mathias

Ps. I don't want to have to find and adjust a html page manually everytime I set up a gallery, which seems to be one daft suggestion I've heard.

Comments

• thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    The only option I've seen so far is this customisation of mine:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Client-login-system

I'm hoping that SmugMug will create their own redirect system to replace this.
  • OwenMathiasOwenMathias Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    Nicholas Sherlock's solution isn't perfect, but it works well and provides a great support service.

It's a pity this feature isn't standard in a product like smugmug, especially when they call their pricing structure 'professional'.

Another step towards Zenfolio . . . :/
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »

I to am really hoping Smugmug will create this built in. Is there a current feature request for this? I'd love to add my vote.

Meanwhile I'll likely try your workaround out soon… still working on odd & end stuff to complete first. Thanks for providing this!!! thumb.gif
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »

It's terrific that you have created a work around so that smugmuggers can have some type of client login system. Your tutorial on your website says something about how one could host this themselves if they have a server with php access. While I very much appreciate that you have gone through all of this trouble and have shared this with us, I would like to be able to do this on my own. so how does one set up php web server hosting? How can we do this ourselves?

Thanks,
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2013
    I don't have any PHP webhosts to recommend, as I don't use one myself. I think my friend is using One.com for hosting of his PHP site, so you could give them a look. Just register a new domain name with them (don't try to transfer your current one) and get the cheapest plan.

If you already have website hosting elsewhere, they might already support PHP, so take a look.
  • seanc85seanc85 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 4, 2013
    This is great, much cleaner than having a list of everyone's galleries all thrown on one page.

Has anyone come up with a way to implement this so that repeat customers can see all of their galleries on one page? I've tried just listing 2 galleries under the same name but it just opens the last one. This is with the self hosted option.

CynthiaM, I have hosting with Hostgator and they have always been great.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    edited November 6, 2013
    No one? I can't imagine I'm the only one that would want this.

I have managed to link to an unlisted folder rather than a gallery, but I'm almost positive the unlisted galleries in that folder wouldn't show up when logged out. My ability to test ideas is limited since I haven't unveiled yet.
    The only thing I can think of is an unlisted page with links to the galleries but that seems like a lot of work and I don't think it would present as nicely.
  • MotorsportsMotorsports Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2013
    Owen, Sean

I do it without any PHP or HTML so just using the standard functions; I make a folder for each client, password protect the folders, put the galleries in the folder making sure they are NOT unlisted. Then for those galleries change the properties so they are not searchable - this way nobody can find them. Your client just goes to the page, enters their password and will see all their galleries.
    Mike

http://photos.gridshots.com
    edited November 6, 2013
    Thanks Motorsports, that's similar to what I do currently in legacy and is one of my fallback options if I can't get this to work.

The biggest appeal of this is being able to send every client to a single page and keeping everything nice and clean.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    edited November 10, 2013
    Just in case anyone else is trying to accomplish this; I have solved this, for now, using Sharegroups. I don't think this is an ideal solution but it meets my requirements for now. Hopefully we will be able to edit sharegroup pages in the near future.