Options

3-year-old photos

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
edited August 23, 2013 in Weddings
I shot a friend's friend's son's wedding a couple of years ago...had never before done a wedding, but since they said it would be outdoors, and I wouldn't have to worry about scary lighting problems, I agreed. I did encounter scary lighting outdoors, as the sun was pretty harsh.
Am just now getting around to posting, and would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

i-w6rdC67-L.jpg

i-MFGtqPK-L.jpg

i-hmPCktF-L.jpg

i-Mhx8H7V-L.jpg

i-2Hm6jTj-L.jpg

i-zHbK4j3-L.jpg

i-MRtPDmK-L.jpg

i-wZpBbL3-L.jpg
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    Loving the images!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    Well, she is just the cutest thing! Love these! Nice work.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Thank you, Sam, Matt and heatherfeather. Coming from you, that means a lot!
    Kate
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Love! and i totally want to be her!

my only comment is they seem to be a little warm/green going down the line. try to make all your processing the same for a set!
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Love! and i totally want to be her!

my only comment is they seem to be a little warm/green going down the line. try to make all your processing the same for a set!

Nicole, that's a good observation...thanks! I'm really new at processing (don't know what I'm doing!) I have Lightroom and PhotoShop, and am having fun playing. Is there a way to adjust color balance for an entire group of photos at once??
    Kate
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Nicole, that's a good observation...thanks! I'm really new at processing (don't know what I'm doing!) I have Lightroom and PhotoShop, and am having fun playing. Is there a way to adjust color balance for an entire group of photos at once??

I set up my actions (sharpen, color balance, etc.) and use the previous button when editing photos in Lightroom. 90% of the time I don't need to do any other tweaking of color balance. I don't color balance in PhotoShop.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Ohmygod...how could I have not noticed that button?! It works like a charm. Thanks a million--this'll save me hours.
    Kate
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    kdotaylor wrote: »
    Ohmygod...how could I have not noticed that button?! It works like a charm. Thanks a million--this'll save me hours.

There's two ways that you can edit photos in batches and avoid having to do the same adjustment twice.

First, you can simply select multiple photos at once, and turn on "Auto Sync" in Lightroom. This way as you edit the first photo in the group, it will automatically edit all of the subsequent photos. This also works in Adobe Camera Raw, (Bridge) by the way for those of you who think Lightroom is just light years beyond anything else. It's not that special of an editing method; I've been editing this way since before Lightroom was even a 1.0 beta version...

The second method, however, is pretty cool for Lightroom only and that is the "Previous" button that was just mentioned.

However, I take this a step further and I program my mouse's little side-button to perform that hotkey, which on a PC is CTRL+ALT+V I believe. Most Microsoft Mice can be programmed this way easily using the universal MS keyboard & mouse app that you can download, and many Logitec etc. mice are also programmable. Anyways, this way when I edit I can simply edit one photo at a time, and any time I come to the next photo and it is similar to the previous photo, I just hit that side button on my mouse and boom, it pastes the previous settings onto that photo.

This way I can go through a set of photos and edit them quickly without ever having to do the same adjustment twice, yet if I come across a significantly different image I can also quickly correct that one to taste, and then just keep on going.

The "Paste Previous" option is a great way to cut and paste in general, because all you have to do is click back to the other photo you want to copy the settings from, and then click on the photo you want to paste to. This works great for when you're going through a set of photos and making black and whites of a select few or something.

Lightroom does also have a "cut and paste" option, by the way, so you can permanently add an images' settings to your clipboard just like any other program's copy/paste system. This way you don't have to worry about which photo was previously selected, so if you want to go through a group of photos and first make a virtual copy and then paste a B&W / fade on that virtual copy, you can.

Anyways, good luck! BTW, there are oodles more tutorials on these techniques on my site, SLRLounge.com. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum