Comments

• Options
    RovingEyePhotoRovingEyePhoto Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    dank-photo wrote:
    is this good bokeh?

265399643_BoaYF-M-1.jpg

265399264_o2ECM-M-1.jpg

is the background too distracting in the one below to be considered good bokeh?

264299411_qukqx-S-2.jpg

I welcome critiques and criticism! Thanks!

-DK

www.dank-photo.com
    I believe that bokeh should remain recognizable in all but image-filling portraits, should add to the contextual uniformity of the shot, help explain what the subject's doing there. That way you get dual purpose, intended subject "pop" plus interest. In the wedding shot, I think the subject, obviously bride and groom, should be more fully up-close and personal (what could be more personal than a wedding day?), should be taken from a lower perspective to avoid the "water wall" look), but otherwise the bokeh is fine, soft but still fully recognizable, and to the subjects I'm guessing fully in context with the event, adding interesting meaning without competing or distracting. Making the subjects more fully up-close and personal will, of course, increase their real estate and decrease that of the background, but in total the image will present a more pleasingly proportioned and meaningful shot.
    See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited April 5, 2008
    While we're talking about Dank's wedding shot:D - the cyan cast needs to be mentioned also, the blue and green channels are significantly higher than the red in the wedding dress, which I bet is a variant of white.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    CajunKimCajunKim Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Would this be considered bokeh? This is like one of this first pictures I ever took with my NikonD40x.

DSC_0148-1.jpg

Kim
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    Bokeh is described as the appearance of the out of focus areas of an image. Bokeh can be described as "good bokeh" when the OOF areas are smooth, buttery soft, with smooth, even, round, ( not polygonal ) highlights.

So yes your image has bokeh, just not great bokeh in my opinion. Not bad, but not great either.

• Options
    dank-photodank-photo Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    While we're talking about Dank's wedding shot:D - the cyan cast needs to be mentioned also, the blue and green channels are significantly higher than the red in the wedding dress, which I bet is a variant of white.

Thanks jimphotog, and Pathfinder! This is actually a scanned film print from my first wedding that I shot for a friend a few years ago(before digi equip and business). It was taken with an older Pentax K1000...and I handed the film off to the bride and groom. (I generally would not have done this, but it was more of a favor to a friend) I haven't done any post processing on them, hence the cyan cast.

-DK

www.dank-photo.com
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2008
    Canon G9 bokeh
    This is quite good I think. mwink.gif For a G9 I mean ... isn't it ?
    275408391_K38Qh-M.jpg - 275407863_jgvag-M.jpg
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    Yes I think so Antonio.

There has been very little discussion of bokeh with regard to smaller sensor cameras - point and shoots - like the G9. Because it is usually pretty poor, I suspect. I even made a joke about it (earlier in this thread). I expanded on the discussion a little further in another thread.

Typically, it is very hard to get an Out of Focus background due to the inherent greater DOF of smaller sensors. Your shots with the G9 show that one must be careful with these generalizations. Nicely done Antonio.

It will be easier to get OOF backgrounds with the G9 with a larger aperture, a longer focal length, and a closer camera to subject distance - just like your shots, Antonio.

• Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    ... It will be easier to get OOF backgrounds with the G9 with a larger aperture, a longer focal length, and a closer camera to subject distance - just like your shots, Antonio.

I thought I had done the pictures with Aperture priority having in mind the shallow DoF but the EXIF (EXIF for the bee) doesn't say so.

I am mistaken then.

Do you think that the exposure mode Aperture priority changes to auto when in Macro ? Huuummm. I suspect just looking at the other pictures I shot this morning...

Have to re-shoot and confirm. Because I am almost sure I was using Aperture prioriry...ne_nau.gif
    :Dbowdown.gifthumb

But in picture of the car you have cropped and blurred the background, haven't you ? :D I've done nothing at all. Just shot the picture.:D
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    I thought I had done the pictures with Aperture priority having in mind the shallow DoF but the EXIF (EXIF for the bee) doesn't say so.

I am mistaken then.

Av, Tv, P - all are really not relative when speaking about bokeh - The only thing that matters in the final analysis is what aperture was actually used for the shot, and the bee was shot at f3.2 - so a pretty large aperture like I suspected.

But in picture of the car you have cropped and blurred the background, haven't you ? :D I've done nothing at all. Just shot the picture.:D

Yes, I did select the car, and apply a Gaussian blur to the background. That was why I said I was joking about the bokeh of a G9. My G9 bokeh was 'fake', but yours was the real deal!! Nice work, Antonio!

• Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Can I play too?

This is my favorite effect and I haven't been able to capture it until I got my E-410. I've had a little practice and here is one of my fav's. Please, C&C so I can get better.

2397462214_18305b15f0_b.jpg
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    FuronoFurono Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    By far the best Bokeh - STF lenses
    I own a 135 STF (Smooth Trans Focus) which is the best Bokeh you can get on a lens. Notice there is NO lines or shapes in the out of focus areas. It comes at a cost - Manual focus only and about a stop and a half of light.

276613065_eVrRX-M.jpg

276613137_Z53KM-M.jpg
    Steve Nelson
    Tour Leader - DPRK
    Uri Tours
    SmugMug - photos.japanphotos.jp
  • Options
    KennySKennyS Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2008
  • Options
    mwaltersmwalters Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Here's one from a Lensbaby, with the star shaped (appx f4) aperture:

279994049_cDrgx-M.jpg

Matthew
  • Options
    mosallmosall Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    ginger_55 wrote:

42233156-L.jpg

This is wonderful.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    I think it has something to do with pelicans and their effect on light rays....:D .

257335678_i2UQV-L.jpg

Good long glass tends to produce pretty good bokeh.

Ginger shot with an EOS 400 f5.6 which is a very nice piece of glass. Lots of us here were privileged to know Ginger and her work. She is missed.

My pelican was shot with a 400 f4 DO IS, which some folks disparage for less than stellar bokeh.

• Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Here's one of my favorites with my Canon 180mm f3.5 macro glass. The OOF or bokeh on this lens is one of the best in my arsenal.

86697062_zUsAN-L-3.jpg
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2008
    Canon 20D + 70-200 f/2.8 IS L USM
    The bokeh is not as smooth as the Canon 400 f/5.6 or even the Canon 180 f/3.5 above but very good anyway.:D
    I think macro lens are designed to close shots and - when they are really good - they give nice bokeh ...

285216951_A89xy-L.jpg
  • Options
    smantromsmantrom Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 26, 2008
    Ahh, Bokeh...
    First let's find that darned soapbox...

:soapbox

Let's approach this three ways...

Bokeh the word... Bokeh as a word is Japanese. It translates roughly into "blur". It's pronounced "BOH-kay", and yes, the deprecated long "ay" sound is very hard for English speakers, that's why most people pronouce it like the spanish word for mouth, "boca".

Bokeh the concept... Bokeh is the photographic property produced by limiting depth of field and producing backgrounds out of focus such that the center of attention is the part of the photograph that's in focus.

Bokeh the science... Bokeh is produced by the diaphram of the lens being used to create the aperture of the exposure being made. In a wide aperture, the points of light in areas out of focus expand, conflict with their neighbors and lose detail. Now here's the cool technical bit... If your lens' diaphram has curved petals that construct a circular or nearly circular opening during exposure, the shape of the blurred points of light in the area out of focus will be circular. If the petals of your diaphram are straight, the shape of the bokeh will be a polygon with straight edges, the number of which will equal the number of petals in your diaphram; when these bokeh points are made by bright spots, they will be clearly seen as polygons in the background.

Last the word of warning, Cassegrain reflector lenses (Phoenix makes a very cheap one) produce donut-shaped bokeh (with a hole in the center) because of the location of the reflector mirror. Although these lenses seem to make a very cost effective alternative for long telephoto glass, they should be avoided due to their effect on the quality of bokeh.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    Many people think that good bokeh can only be achieved with
    expensive lenses. See what the inexpensive Tamron 70-300mm/4-5.6
    can do:

1536333091_0d3dfe16e1.jpg?v=0

2102609171_9f6eb80211.jpg

1274964998_a7a7b75599.jpg?v=0
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    ReeflectionsReeflections Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2008
    Hmmmm... would this fit?

5874121-md.jpg
    Aloha!
    Mike

Just one more thing to buy and I'll have everything I need. ;)

Reeflections Gallery
    Underwater Photography Workshops & Ikelite equipment
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    I've always liked the effect and try to compose a shot using it as part of the picture almost as much as the main object. Sometime gradual as in the first photo. And then again, sometimes as a sharp contrast to make the central subject stand out even more as in the second example.

D70 - 18-70 mm in Macro mode.
    292788978_EphSM-M.jpg

D70 70-300mm in Macro mode.
    292788994_PksBu-M.jpg

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    51468093_HuAbU-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    VelvtRide wrote:
    51468093_HuAbU-Th.jpg
    Please, don't forget to post your photo here.
    :D
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    This is bokeh too :D

2493540971_45c423b604.jpg?v=0
    Tamron 180mm Macro at f4
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    336718831_zYYiF-L.jpg - 335953427_T7uX3-L-1.jpg
    Canon 5D + 24-70 at 70mm f/2,8 + natural morning light + Lightroom
    I love this 5D !iloveyou.gif
    --
    And Canon G9 at f/4,5 + macro position + natural morning light + Lightroom, also very good bokeh.

Do you agree ? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Taken with a 70-300 Af-S VR

292411896_DZd4K-L.jpg
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Such a funny term for something that has been around since lenses were made. I really am not understanding this phenomenon??! It's just a shallow depth of field. What is the huge deal here?! ne_nau.gif
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    Such a funny term for something that has been around since lenses were made. I really am not understanding this phenomenon??! It's just a shallow depth of field. What is the huge deal here?! ne_nau.gif

:D:D Indeed. No deal whatsoever.
    Just an argument to show our background hard blurred pictures.

:D:D
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    This is nice bokeh :D

301555927_EoY32-XL.jpg
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    :D:D Indeed. No deal whatsoever.
    Just an argument to show our background hard blurred pictures.

:D:D

Ahhh.... I see. Over the last few years, "bokeh" seems to become sort of a photo cult. Regardless, nice photos!!! Love the ladybug. :D
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed