Options

Feeds content block

carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
edited August 20, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Is anyone using the feeds content block?
I've never really understood feeds but would like to see examples of how this is being used on new Smugmug sites :)

Caroline
Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Why don't you just try it :)
    You can always delete it.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Why don't you just try it :)
    You can always delete it.
    You're right as usual Andy thumb.gif

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    caroline wrote: »
    You're right as usual Andy thumb.gif

Hmmmm presumably it does away with the need to customise a blog to match the site?

[/URL]
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited August 20, 2013
    Hmmmm presumably it does away with the need to customise a blog to match the site?
    It probably depends on what you are after. I believe that a feed from a blog would only show the blog content and not the navigation. That's fine if viewers want the current contact but likely to be a good thing if they want control to go back to previous entries or sets of entries. And it might be fine for your needs.

I don't believe it would be difficult for you to adjust your current blog to match your current site. You don't need to change the names of the divs but you may need to make some minor adjustments. After all it did match a previous version of your site.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    I have a feed on my homepage to my blogger site. I have to it set to just the latest post. Using statcounter I could see where I had some folks who'd go to my old Smugmug site, and then go to my blogger to read the latest. I figured I'd save them a step. The things I've noticed about Feeds is, if you've rounded you corners in SM, they will not be rounded in the Feed. If you happened to format any links in Blogger with tags, they will not work in the Feed. If you embedded any sort of iframe, it will not appear in the Feed.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Denise I'm really not sure what I want or even if I can go back to maintaining a blog, but I wanted to see how it might work and if that would inspire me to make the effort:)

Darter02 it seems to work nicely for you:)

Ann - Schmoo's is really so beautiful but way beyond what I could contemplate and yours looks very nice too!

I've made a test page http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/Places/Feeds-Test so you can see what it looks like. I don't understand why the date looks like it does and I'm not sure how to proceed with any further customization? Should it be a block with other content or just stand alone - if so how to fill the large amount of space to the right?

Ann, where did you get the feed url from please?

Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited August 20, 2013
    I've made a test page http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/Places/Feeds-Test so you can see what it looks like. I don't understand why the date looks like it does and I'm not sure how to proceed with any further customization?
    I'm not sure why it is showing like that but the date is in a standard ISO date format.
    2013-02-15T15:22:13.627Z is... year - month - day T hour : minute : second . millisecond. And Z as the time zone indicates GMT
    I don't know why blogger is giving you the date in this format in the feed but not in your blog. It might be worth checking the blog settings though.

--- Denise