[IMG][/img]9551905199_fd3f4d46c4_c.jpg

[IMG][/img]9551893541_5161f36f55_c.jpg

[IMG][/img]9554691618_2b9ca71bf9_c.jpg

[IMG][/img]9554733242_6fef944abd_c.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Nice exposures and captures. Too bad the shortstop is back there, but sometimes you can't avoid it. For the shots of the batters, it looks like perhaps you were standing? I'd say get lower, and also I'd like to see less DOF. The fence and bg are a bit distracting.

Of course getting shots of the front of the batter is always a good idea, but this year I spent more time on the other side getting the follow-through, and I'm glad I did. Got any like that?

5D3_6165-X2.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    OK, a follow-up on the previous post. If you're taking photos for parents, shots of the batter are a common "safety" shot. As a sports image though, they are often not very compelling. It's like a photo of a free-throw in basketball or a serve in volleyball. They can be compelling when you capture a great facial expression. The shot Jack posted has a nice facial expression so it's more compelling. In general, though, as sports photos you want to capture more unique action in the field - plays at bases, catches, etc. The hard stuff to capture. Those are much more compelling sports images. So, even if you still have 'safety' shots of players at the plate, try to capture some of the more compelling action.

On that point, shot 2 is a more compelling shot of the pitcher than shot 1. Again, 100s of opportunities to capture a pitcher during a wind-up so rarely something compelling about such a shot. But it is still a "safety" shot if shooting for the parents.

You obviously know the technical setup of your gear and have the basics down. Now concentrate on capturing more compelling action or expressions during the game (and expressions can certainly be compelling).
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    John is absolutely correct, but field action is 100x harder to capture. Seems like 7 times out of 10 the batter either strikes out or walks. Out of the 30% remaining, it seems like half the time the fielders do not make the play, or there is no play to be made. Out of the 15% remaining, about half the time I either miss the shot or I forget to resist spectating. So.... odds of catching anything but safety shots in youth baseball are pretty rare!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Yes I would Love to get base action photos ! however defensive photos from our team are rare to get (we had three hits against on the Tournament ) I coach them team (and 3rd base) I did take an inning off 3rd to shoot some rightside batters (for parents on FB and our org website) . The Pitcher is my son .Since I had the opportunity to do all the team/player photos for the Org this year (sport mates and player cards) I was willing to share a few actions on FB however if I a printing them in quality there is a cost. #2 is my Favourite of this 4 . I do appreciate your input as I am still a student of this world and loving it !!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    NICE SHOT!!thumb.gif
    Nice exposures and captures. Too bad the shortstop is back there, but sometimes you can't avoid it. For the shots of the batters, it looks like perhaps you were standing? I'd say get lower, and also I'd like to see less DOF. The fence and bg are a bit distracting.

Of course getting shots of the front of the batter is always a good idea, but this year I spent more time on the other side getting the follow-through, and I'm glad I did. Got any like that?

5D3_6165-X2.jpg
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    yeah, it's not really possible to be a good photographer and good coach. You have to pick and choose and your primary job is coach. So, any snaps you can capture as well is just a bonus.

Without the time to dedicate to shooting the entire game it will be tough to get unique photos. Otherwise, once you have 2 or 3 photos of a player at the plate you pretty much start getting redundant. Fast pitch is like that.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    jmp2204 wrote: »
    NICE SHOT!!thumb.gif

Thanks! Hey I don't think I've ever seen you post a shot of your son pitching taken from the side. Have you done that? The fast softball pitch is a beautiful thing from the side...

5D3_1230-X2.jpg

5D3_2188-X2.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Thanks! Hey I don't think I've ever seen you post a shot of your son pitching taken from the side. Have you done that? The fast softball pitch is a beautiful thing from the side...

5D3_1230-X2.jpg

5D3_2188-X2.jpg
    nice shots again ! yes I do have side shots but like front better , I'll post some later