Email link set up...

sunsetrocksunsetrock Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited November 17, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
This is a really great solution, but it's not evident yet. Luckily I asked about it in the webinar I attended. Sooo much easier than the old CSS coding we had to do on the legacy site...

So, you want a link for your audience to email you? Just a few clicks:

This one is actually completely simplified. No CSS required.
1. click customize
2. click customize site
3. select "entire site"
4. select "menu"
5. click the wrench
6. select "links"
7. click the + sign to add a new link.
8. for the name, type what you want the link to say "email the photographer" or "email Smitty" or "email Bob Smith Photos"
9. for "link to" select "contact form"
10. click "done."

Wow! So much easier than the old CSS technique. Plus the contact form features your bio photo. Looks great!

Comments

• DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Thanks for sharing. I found this a while ago but was quite disappointed that you still can't customize the form.

If anyone wants just a standard link that opens up a new email to you in their email client, you can just use:

E-Mail Me

In a HTML Content block.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,336 moderator
    edited August 20, 2013
    DanCarl97 wrote: »
    ...link that opens up a new email to you in their email client, you can just use:
    <a href="mailto:me@mydomain.com">E-Mail Me</a>
    Keep in mind that this only works if the viewer has email configured on the computer they are using. This would not be usable from a public computer or from one without an email client defined.

The smug contact form does not have this restriction. A Wufoo contact form also would not have this restriction.

--- Denise
  • mthibodeaumthibodeau Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Those instructions were very helpful - thanks!
  • fabthifabthi Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2013
    Keep in mind that this only works if the viewer has email configured on the computer they are using. This would not be usable from a public computer or from one without an email client defined.

The smug contact form does not have this restriction. A Wufoo contact form also would not have this restriction.

--- Denise

You are right Denise but, as I highlighted already in another thread, a mail link can be useful in many ways througout a website.
    Just for instance, I might need to add email links within pages where events and activities are described and for which the mail link needed is different from the one set up in contact form. And, of course, it would be much better to have the option to add "spam safe" email links as we were able to do in the Legacy version....rolleyes1.gif
    I do hope the marvellous SM staff will sort this out asap!!