Options

Screen shot-grabbing right click protected photos by saving your cell phone screen

sabberdabsabberdab Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited August 20, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I don't know if this can be fixed? Didn't think about this happening. But my right click protected photos are not as safe as I thought. When you try to download or long press you get a black window. I thought cool this is great! But if you save your screen on your phone you have the picture.

My wonderful NIECE- frown face >:\ - enlightened me to this problem by sharing photos on Facebook that I didn't WANT on Facebook. So now what??? We are not that protected after all? That means watermarks all over the pictures again? Nothing is sacred I guess.

I might be ripping my Smugmug back down... Was just getting used to it and excited.

Frustrated again,

Sab

Comments

• Options
    DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Watermarks are the only way. I say that, but I know how to super easily get the images from SmugMug anyway WITH Watermarks, but as long as a user can see an image on their screen with nothing infront, they can get the picture.

Anyway, there is no way to prevent the screen grabbing native on mobile phones.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited August 20, 2013
    Your right click protected photos are not protected anywhere. I'd love to see that property renamed to right click warning. If an image is viewed in a browser it can easily be grabbed from the browser cache.

ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    I would at least like to be given credit for my photos. Does anyone know if watermarks are working again?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited August 20, 2013
    sabberdab wrote: »
    I would at least like to be given credit for my photos. Does anyone know if watermarks are working again?
    Watermarks are working.

--- Denise
  • Options
    DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Watermarks are working.

--- Denise

SmugMug's implementation of watermarks are working, however they are very easy to bypass. At the present time, that's the only option available to you though, because self-fulfillment of orders is not possible yet.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    Watermarks are working.

--- Denise
    Thanks!
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    We are not that protected after all?

Welcome to the internet - nothing is sacred; not the CSS we borrowed or the HTML we reverse-engineered or the music we listened to while taking from others for our own advancement! :bluduh

IMHO, if you post it assume that it will be stolen. I try to be flattered that it was good enough for them to go to the trouble of stealing.

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2013
    aschendel wrote: »
    Welcome to the internet - nothing is sacred; not the CSS we borrowed or the HTML we reverse-engineered or the music we listened to while taking from others for our own advancement! :bluduh

IMHO, if you post it assume that it will be stolen. I try to be flattered that it was good enough for them to go to the trouble of stealing.

Andy

The little smiley you chose was the look I had on my face this morning. Perfect! :bluduh
    Thanks Andy-- I am trying very hard to be flattered. umph.gif
    I'm going to have to come in here more just so I can play with these little guys. ROFL:seamus
    So this topic is like beating a dead horse?:deadhorse lololol :lol4
    Don't mind me I've been in front of the computer too long!yelrotflmao.gif
    --Sab
  • Options
    OjaOja Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    My wonderful NIECE- frown face >:\ - enlightened me to this problem by sharing photos on Facebook that I didn't WANT on Facebook. So now what??? We are not that protected after all? That means watermarks all over the pictures again? Nothing is sacred I guess.
    You do know that all OS's have this built in right? You don't even need to go to a phone and can just use the OS built in screenshot function. If people are happy with low-res screenshots, there is absolutely nothing you (or smugmug) can do to prevent this except slather ugly watermarks over your images and of course you can sue people that do it. If you can see it in a browser, you can get a file from it. Not pleasant but a little bit of a fact of life. In general, it might be better to use the sharing to your advantage and have social share buttons that at least link back to you and attribute the images. Also might be a good idea to have a small watermark in a corner and of course make sure the metadata is all filled out with your copyright info.