Options

Client asked for B&W prints!

AlanWilliamsPhotoAlanWilliamsPhoto Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited August 30, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Simple option to allow for B&W prints ordering?
Thx

Comments

• Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    It's a little shocking it's not available. Everyone's wanting B&W now... (for the last 5 yrs maybe??!) I mean, Mall-Wart has it...
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Automatic conversions to greyscale generally suck, so were this option available, I would definitely not use it and would hope it would be optional. Conversion to black and white is an artistic process that'll be different for each of your photos, IMO.
  • Options
    AlanWilliamsPhotoAlanWilliamsPhoto Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    snip . .Conversion to black and white is an artistic process that'll be different for each of your photos, IMO.
    I would entirely agree, it is subjective, but surely an easy option to allow clients to make that call themselves thumb.gif
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Aren't there some "good" tools out there that take tons of things into consideration to "automatically" convert to B/W - not just a switch to greyscale. And then couldn't SmugMug purchase the rights to use this software on a server side basis? Perhaps not perfect, but maybe better.
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Simple option to allow for B&W prints ordering?
    Thx

Using automatic desaturation isn't the most flattering form of B&W compared to manual conversion. I understand some want the option though. You could make a copy of the image and convert it real fast using the 'Apply Color Effect' feature via your SmugMug gallery. You'd only have to do that to the photos that were wanted and it takes less than 30 seconds. Just open your photo in lightbox while signed in. Then click the tool icon. Click edit. Click 'apply color effect'. There's a few options besides B&W. Just don't do this to the original photo. Always copy. There's also a feature request that is currently in 'under review' status you can vote and comment on here: http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/266523-add-ability-to-order-prints-in-black-and-white-or-
    Photographic Artist Amber Flowers of Soul Gaze Photography, LLC.
    SmugMug setup & customization services. Contact me! :D
    Proud & helpful Smugger since 2009. Please hire me for Support Hero!!
    I first contacted Jill V. in April 2011 & I even wrote a poem.

• Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Why should anyone go to YET STILL ANOTHER PLACE to make requests? There are too many places. Obviously, the FEEDBACK area is not perused or answered by SmugMug OR the Heros as reflected in over 3 years of people asking for B/W conversions at FEEDBACK and SM has not had the decency to even use their own STARTED/DECLINED method there. So, SMugMug is not implementing this feature, because the output may not look like someone with years of B/W conversion experience and hours of fine tuning the conversion did it. I am sure that generally speaking, the general public can't tell the difference anyway unless it was REALLY bad. Yes, some of us could tell. But this is not stopping MANY other sites from providing this feature. If the conversions were so bad for them and they were getting more returns than it was worth, they would have turned the feature off. So, SM, get on the playing field.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    This is and will still be a feature request and will investigate to see if adding this during a cart update could be viable
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    FEEDBACK area is useless right now. Limited number of issues you can vote on per person because you have a finite number of votes to use. Too many issues to be limiting our voting rights. Remove the voting limitation.
  • Options
    Soul Gaze PhotographySoul Gaze Photography Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    Why should anyone go to YET STILL ANOTHER PLACE to make requests? There are too many places. Obviously, the FEEDBACK area is not perused or answered by SmugMug OR the Heros as reflected in over 3 years of people asking for B/W conversions at FEEDBACK and SM has not had the decency to even use their own STARTED/DECLINED method there. So, SMugMug is not implementing this feature, because the output may not look like someone with years of B/W conversion experience and hours of fine tuning the conversion did it. I am sure that generally speaking, the general public can't tell the difference anyway unless it was REALLY bad. Yes, some of us could tell. But this is not stopping MANY other sites from providing this feature. If the conversions were so bad for them and they were getting more returns than it was worth, they would have turned the feature off. So, SM, get on the playing field.

I am so sorry you're having trouble. I noticed you're still using the legacy SmugMug. Is there anything I can do to help you? I understand your obvious concern regarding the Feedback site. Please have faith in SmugMug. Like a fine wine, some things take time. Updating the UI was among the highest requested feature. Many doubted they would complete this request, but they did deliver. It wasn't perfect, but there are literally millions of customers with unique requests. Any request that is feasible has always been quickly implemented and the rest monitored for interest via the Feedback site. Considering the amount of requests, I'm sure the cart will be among updates once they've had time to determine the opinions from a variety of Smuggers. :D

• Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    FEEDBACK area is useless right now. Limited number of issues you can vote on per person because you have a finite number of votes to use. Too many issues to be limiting our voting rights. Remove the voting limitation.

I also understand your frustration regarding the limitation of voting. Please realize that were limitations removed (if even possible), people could abuse the system. If there is a feature you love, try sharing the link on social media or your SmugMug friends. That's the best way to ensure your feature is implemented. The more votes from Smuggers, the faster results. Of course, I've seen some implemented with hardly any votes at all. I'm sure once SmugMug has gotten caught up from the 'new' SmugMug that you'll see a big difference in that area too. :)

• Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    Soul Gaze, I will have nothing to say against what you say. But too much koolaid really does damage. The system does not work right now (the voting). Limited voting when there are so many issues at hand displays Sm's non-understanding of the issues at hand. Ok, I stop here because I like you and what you are trying to do to help us all. You ARE a HERO, vs some who have been given the title and should have it revoked ASAP.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2013
    Soul Gaze, I will have nothing to say against what you say. But too much koolaid really does damage. The system does not work right now (the voting). Limited voting when there are so many issues at hand displays Sm's non-understanding of the issues at hand. Ok, I stop here because I like you and what you are trying to do to help us all. You ARE a HERO, vs some who have been given the title and should have it revoked ASAP.

First, I apologize for the delay responding. I normally try to respond within 24hrs at the latest. One of my 10yr old cats has been extremely ill so I've been focusing on her care and have been offline.

I understand the frustration with wanting to feel that your ideas and requests have been listened to. Please don't think that no one is listening. Even one vote can be enough to warrant an idea becoming reality. I've seen some ideas approved with very few votes or even just due to a tiny forum thread. We just have to be patient and realize that SmugMug is working 24/7 to implement as many requests as possible. Of course with a new system, that implementation must be handled gently to prevent setbacks. I do agree that it would be nice to have unlimited votes, but it may not even be up to them. It may be up to the host of the feedback website which looks to be an unbranded UserVoice account. Please realize too that there is an unknown amount of amazing photographers using SmugMug. Each with their own preferences and unique requests. As I've been with SmugMug (over 3 years!) I've watched a company work hard to provide to be the 'genie' for everyone, but sometimes even a genie must get some sleep. By enabling utilizing a voting system, SmugMug is better able to isolate and focus on the highest requested tasks and then work from there towards the smaller ones that aren't able to be quickly implemented. Just as with a presidential election, there voting is limited for fairness. There's always the forum's request section and you can share the link to a feature request that is posted on the feedback system and encourage other Smuggers to vote. It's amazing what can be accomplished that way.

Thank you very, VERY much for your support and compliments to me. I absolutely appreciate it and I truly hope that I can one day be employed as a Hero with SmugMug so that I may be of better assistance to our community of Smuggers. Please be patient with the changes and your frustrations...I am always glad to help and hope to see you here in the future! thumb.gif

• Options
    edited August 29, 2013
    I understand all you said...especially that the voting system in use is actually not SmugMugs. I get it much better now. However, with political elections, you get to vote for a candidate for each position:D
    Cheers and keep up the FANTASTIC support!
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    I understand all you said...especially that the voting system in use is actually not SmugMugs. I get it much better now. However, with political elections, you get to vote for a candidate for each position:D
    Cheers and keep up the FANTASTIC support!

Awesome, glad to have been helpful! You do have a valid point, of course I was never one to argue about the nature of politics! deal.gif Thank you, I will be around here doing the best I can. Take care! thumb.gif