Options

Tablet views.

BloozeBlooze Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited August 21, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
My wife and I were in a store the other day looking at tablets so I thought I'd check my site to see what it looked like. Now, it looks fine on my android Galaxy Nexus phone, but with tablets it was all over the board depending on the model. Size didn't seem to make that much of a difference. On one 7" it cut off the logo and double lined the navbar as well as put double rows of the homepage photos, then would cut any single photo on half unless I went to a slideshow in a gallery. On another 7" it did the same thing with the logo/navbar/homepage, but photos showed exactly like on my computer as far as layout in galleries with thumbnails to the left and a larger photo on the right. On one 10" it showed just like on my computer, logo fine/navbar fine/homepage fine, galleries laid out just like on my computer, while on another 10" the homepage was fine, but when I opened up a gallery it only showed the thumbnails, no larger photo to the side.

All of these was using chrome on android tablets, and safari on iPads. I checked the default browsers on the android tablets and they seemed to respond about the same as chrome. The only tablet that looked exactly like my computer was one of the 10" Windows models.

I've come to the conclusion there ay be no way to make it look good on most tablets.

Comments

• Options
    jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Are you using new SmugMug or old SmugMug?
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    jhofker wrote: »
    Are you using new SmugMug or old SmugMug?

The new Smugmug. Isis template. Never had a problem with my legacy one.
  • Options
    steveLsteveL Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Looking at your site with my iPad makes me wonder if you have the mobile view turned off in customization. Your layout just doesn't fit the screen size, it is too big.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    steveL wrote: »
    Looking at your site with my iPad makes me wonder if you have the mobile view turned off in customization. Your layout just doesn't fit the screen size, it is too big.

AFAIK I do. It goes to a mobile view on my phone. I added this bit of CCS a minute ago removing the hide forms part so it is only @media only screen and (max-width:1536px). I don't know if it will help or not.

/* Hide the search form and social media links for mobile browsers */
    @media only screen and (max-width: 640px) {
    .sm-search-form, .sm-page-widget-social-links { display: none; }
    }
  • Options
    steveLsteveL Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    I don't see all of the Rolling Hills on either the ipad or my 15 inch vista laptop. I wonder if your logo and the menu are interfering with each other as they seem to be on the same plane. It seemed to me like I had to be careful about that. Also, the mobile switch being turned on or off is something that I turned to "on" in customization but I can't find where I did that now. I think your knowledge is beyond me.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    steveL wrote: »
    I don't see all of the Rolling Hills on either the ipad or my 15 inch vista laptop. I wonder if your logo and the menu are interfering with each other as they seem to be on the same plane. It seemed to me like I had to be careful about that. Also, the mobile switch being turned on or off is something that I turned to "on" in customization but I can't find where I did that now. I think your knowledge is beyond me.

I had that problem on some tablets and not on others. I'll need to sort that out. Phones seem to be a non issue so far. The only place I remember seeing anything about mobile settings was for the navbar (collapse for mobile).