Options

[New Smug] Collecting Private images displays Remove option in Public Gallery

VanlippeVanlippe Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited August 21, 2013 in Bug Reporting
I just concluded a short email exchange with someone after noticing a strange problem with one of the galleries on their site. It is being fixed but here is a quick overview of what we believe happened.

A gallery was created and the images added were collected from another location.
That other location was a private gallery.
The owner of the site saw no problems with this gallery, most likely because the different browsers he and his wife used had each cached the password from past access to the private gallery.

When I saw the gallery link, I first noticed there was no image on the gallery thumbnail (which I’ve seen happen before when someone uses an image from a private gallery).
The bigger issue, however, was the behavior when I clicked on that gallery.
The gallery was using the SmugMug default style and, since all the images in the gallery were collected from the private gallery, the thumbnails and displayed image was black for everything in the gallery although titles and descriptions were displayed. Confusing but, by itself, that wouldn’t be terrible.

Here’s where it gets nasty though ...
On the far right, in addition to the Like, Info and Download buttons, there was a Settings tool. And if I clicked on that - I had the option to Remove.

While this is partly “user error” - some additional trapping seems to be required to at least hide the settings tool if the user doesn’t have password privileges.

Ideally, of course, images which were collected from a password protected gallery wouldn’t be shown. That would still have resulted in a strange looking gallery - but it would seem to be the correct behavior.