Folders, Galleries, & Pages content blocks do not allow editing of selections

2»

Comments

  • leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,723 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 22, 2014
    I want to be able to mix folders and galleries in the order of my choice.

    I concur that the FGP block should allow mixing of folders, galleries and pages in any order of your choosing. The only time the display will be Folders, then Galleries, then Pages, is if it is set to "Organizer Position" since the Organizer displays in this manner.

    Currently:
    - When Folders are set to sort by "Organizer Position" there's an issue that prevents the display from matching the organizer position. This will need to be fixed.
    - When Folders are set to anything else it allows the display to be mixed. This should stay as is.

    I agree that there should be an easier way to select the sort order for "Items I Choose" and that it must allow for mixing of the items.
    SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    Website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoRegistered Users Posts: 9,787 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »
    ...
    I agree that there should be an easier way to select the sort order for "Items I Choose" and that it must allow for mixing of the items.
    I see no problem with the initial choosing of items. Just a matter of browsing around the site choosing items.

    The problem is the order is frozen after initial selection. Sorting after the initial choosing of items, other
    then adding another at the end, the whole order must be re-chosen. Or at least from at the point,
    insertion of new item, to the end.

    All I see is we need the Organizer sort to be activated.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website | My Blog
  • coastphotocoastphoto Beginner grinner Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2014
    ""Perfect. This is the feedback I'm looking for. The organizer always requires FOLDERS first, GALLERIES second, PAGES last, so when sourced by "Folder" and sorted by "Organizer" position it will always be FOLDERS, GALLERIES, PAGES. I've seen a lot of people mix these by using the "Items I Choose" method and I want to make sure we don't lose the functionality you guys so desperately want if we try to standardize.""


    So i am trying to fix this on my site, at http://www.coastphotostore.com/Events we have a number of events , some in folders and some in galleries, and we want them all sorted so the newest are at the top. currently the newest folders are listed then down below the galleries.

    I am not sure how to change this to am "items i choose" method, will this change all of the links to my current galleries?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks
  • leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,723 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 30, 2014
    coastphoto wrote: »
    So i am trying to fix this on my site, at http://www.coastphotostore.com/Events we have a number of events , some in folders and some in galleries, and we want them all sorted so the newest are at the top. currently the newest folders are listed then down below the galleries.

    Excellent question coastphoto. For you the simplest thing would be to use a "Folders, Galleries, and Pages" Content Block. To do this:
    1. Open the customizer.
    2. On the right, under "All Folders" click "Make this Folder Custom" so it doesn't effect your other folders.
    3. Under the "Content" -> "Navigation" section find the "Folders, Galleries and Pages" content block and drag it above "Folders" (and below your breadcrumb). It will pull all the Folders, Galleries, AND pages from the current location. Right now you have 3 separate content blocks: one that displays all the folders, followed by one that displays all the galleries, followed by one that displays all pages.
    4. Customize the settings of the Folders, Gallery, and Pages Block you just added (make it Medium sized photos, 3:2 aspect ratio, 24pixel spacing, etc.
    4.b. Make sure to set the Sort By to "Date Added". This will display the most recent items first.
    5. Delete your old content blocks.
    6. Click Done and Publish!

    Let me know if you have any other questions.
    SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    Website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • coastphotocoastphoto Beginner grinner Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 10, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »
    Excellent question coastphoto. For you the simplest thing would be to use a "Folders, Galleries, and Pages" Content Block. To do this:
    1. Open the customizer.
    2. On the right, under "All Folders" click "Make this Folder Custom" so it doesn't effect your other folders.
    3. Under the "Content" -> "Navigation" section find the "Folders, Galleries and Pages" content block and drag it above "Folders" (and below your breadcrumb). It will pull all the Folders, Galleries, AND pages from the current location. Right now you have 3 separate content blocks: one that displays all the folders, followed by one that displays all the galleries, followed by one that displays all pages.
    4. Customize the settings of the Folders, Gallery, and Pages Block you just added (make it Medium sized photos, 3:2 aspect ratio, 24pixel spacing, etc.
    4.b. Make sure to set the Sort By to "Date Added". This will display the most recent items first.
    5. Delete your old content blocks.
    6. Click Done and Publish!

    Let me know if you have any other questions.

    This worked perfectly how i wanted it. Thanks so much
  • leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,723 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 10, 2014
    We pushed a fix today that fixes the sort order of the Folder, Gallery, Pages content block: when set to display by "organizer position" it will now mimic the sorting set in the Organizer.
    SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    Website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 12,674 moderator
    edited November 11, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »
    We pushed a fix today that fixes the sort order of the Folder, Gallery, Pages content block: when set to display by "organizer position" it will now mimic the sorting set in the Organizer.
    It appears that this has not helped the situation for me. It has continued the problem of the elements in the content block being shown in an order other than the order I want with no way to specify the order.

    In organizer, the top level of my site is set to sort manually. One level down, some folders are set to sort manually, some are set to sort by date created.

    I need to be able to manually order the elements in a Folder, Gallery, and Pages content block. I have a block on my Kaleidoscope page that is intended to be in the order the galleries or folders were added to the site with the newest shown first. That's OK for right now (given that it only has 2 galleries highlighted) but I just played with a similar content block on a test page. The items shown in that block are in some kind of random order. They are not in the order in which I selected the elements. They are not in the order of date last uploaded. They are not in alphabetic order.

    I need control over the order of elements in a Folder, Gallery, and Pages content block. I want to be able to look at the elements in the content block and move them around to achieve the desired order.

    --- Denise
  • leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,723 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 14, 2014
    It appears that this has not helped the situation for me. It has continued the problem of the elements in the content block being shown in an order other than the order I want with no way to specify the order.

    Would you be able to provide me a few links to galleries that aren't behaving as they should? I agree that we still need a way to organize FGP content blocks to easily display in an order you specify; we're not there yet.

    The release we pushed last week fixes one of the smaller issues: if you set an FGP block to display by Organizer position, it now actually displays in that same order, rather than the random order it was set to before. Let me know if you're not seeing this on your pages.

    Items in the FGP Block by chosen by "Items I Choose" will still have the same concerns as before.
    SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    Website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoRegistered Users Posts: 9,787 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2014
    The big problem with Items in the FGP Block chosen by "Items I Choose" is after choosing they
    remain in the choose order. We'd like to be able to manually arrange them in Organizer.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website | My Blog
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 12,674 moderator
    edited November 17, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »
    Would you be able to provide me a few links to galleries that aren't behaving as they should? I agree that we still need a way to organize FGP content blocks to easily display in an order you specify; we're not there yet.

    The release we pushed last week fixes one of the smaller issues: if you set an FGP block to display by Organizer position, it now actually displays in that same order, rather than the random order it was set to before. Let me know if you're not seeing this on your pages.

    Items in the FGP Block by chosen by "Items I Choose" will still have the same concerns as before.
    Sorry, I was traveling and missed your post.

    Display by Organizer position doesn't meet my needs - I need the entries in the block to show in a date published order. I use the Kaleidoscope page (http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Kaleidoscope/) on my site to highlight my most recent galleries or folders. Ideally I want the newest entry to be first, and I usually have between 3 and 5 entries in the content block. The page currently only shows 2 entries - when I last changed it re-adding the third entry shuffled the entries on the page.

    I plan to add an entry in that content block this week, not sure which day. I will try to remember to come back here and report on the behavior of the content block when I change it.

    Note that I am using Items I Choose. It used to be that I could select an additional item and it would add to the end of the list. That meant my entries were in the reverse sequence from my desired newest first - but I could live with that. Unfortunately at some point that behavior changed; it feels random right now.

    Ideally I would like to be able to move the items in the content block on the page.

    --- Denise
  • leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,723 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 17, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    The big problem with Items in the FGP Block chosen by "Items I Choose" is after choosing they
    remain in the choose order. We'd like to be able to manually arrange them in Organizer.

    Yep -- I think we're all in agreement that something like that would be better. :)
    SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    Website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,723 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 17, 2014
    Display by Organizer position doesn't meet my needs

    When I first got on to tackle this I saw 3 issues:
    1) When the FGP Block is set to "organizer position" it wasn't following the organizer's position.
    2) When the FGP Block is set to "Items I Choose", it can randomly re-order if a user doesn't do anything except click "Done" and "Publish"
    3) When the FGP Block is set to "Items I Choose", there's no easy way to set the order.

    Everyone is in agreement that #3 is needed, however, it's not as simple as fixing a small bug. We'll want to do it right and just rushing something out isn't going to make everyone happy. We want to do it right. Sadly, I can't tell you when we can get to this as we have to manage priorities.

    Fixing #1 was something we felt we could do right away and that's why we pushed the minor bug fix.
    We still need to fix #2 so that the order doesn't change without making any changes.
    SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    Website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 12,674 moderator
    edited November 17, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »
    3) When the FGP Block is set to "Items I Choose", there's no easy way to set the order.

    Everyone is in agreement that #3 is needed, however, it's not as simple as fixing a small bug. We'll want to do it right and just rushing something out isn't going to make everyone happy. We want to do it right. Sadly, I can't tell you when we can get to this as we have to manage priorities.
    That's what I expected.

    As a stepping stone to the final "allow the order to be set interactively", is there any possibility of the entries sticking in the order in which they are chosen? If I understand how the order is determined I have few enough entries that I am willing to deselect all and reselect in the order I want each time I add an entry.

    --- Denise
  • leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,723 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 17, 2014
    As a stepping stone to the final "allow the order to be set interactively", is there any possibility of the entries sticking in the order in which they are chosen?

    I think that's reasonable ... that's what I considered #2 at least :)
    SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    Website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 12,674 moderator
    edited November 17, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »
    I think that's reasonable ... that's what I considered #2 at least :)
    Excellent!

    --- Denise
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 12,674 moderator
    edited December 4, 2014
    leftquark wrote: »
    When I first got on to tackle this I saw 3 issues:
    1) When the FGP Block is set to "organizer position" it wasn't following the organizer's position.
    2) When the FGP Block is set to "Items I Choose", it can randomly re-order if a user doesn't do anything except click "Done" and "Publish"
    3) When the FGP Block is set to "Items I Choose", there's no easy way to set the order.

    Everyone is in agreement that #3 is needed, however, it's not as simple as fixing a small bug. We'll want to do it right and just rushing something out isn't going to make everyone happy. We want to do it right. Sadly, I can't tell you when we can get to this as we have to manage priorities.

    Fixing #1 was something we felt we could do right away and that's why we pushed the minor bug fix.
    We still need to fix #2 so that the order doesn't change without making any changes.
    Related to #2, I'm still seeing what may be a variation of this. I deselected one entry and added a new entry to my Kaleidoscope page. When I clicked Done the order was random. I needed to deselect all entries on the page and reselect in order to get a reasonable order.

    --- Denise
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 12,674 moderator
    edited January 11, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    When I first got on to tackle this I saw 3 issues:
    1) When the FGP Block is set to "organizer position" it wasn't following the organizer's position.
    2) When the FGP Block is set to "Items I Choose", it can randomly re-order if a user doesn't do anything except click "Done" and "Publish"
    3) When the FGP Block is set to "Items I Choose", there's no easy way to set the order.

    Everyone is in agreement that #3 is needed, however, it's not as simple as fixing a small bug. We'll want to do it right and just rushing something out isn't going to make everyone happy. We want to do it right. Sadly, I can't tell you when we can get to this as we have to manage priorities.

    Fixing #1 was something we felt we could do right away and that's why we pushed the minor bug fix.
    We still need to fix #2 so that the order doesn't change without making any changes.
    The behavior of this is still inconsistent when the FGP block is set to "Items I Choose". I just added a gallery to the block on my Kaleidoscope page (http://www.denisegoldberg.com/Kaleidoscope) and the order the elements are shown is not the order in which they were selected. I have deselected and reselected the entries multiple times and I haven't been able to get them to show in the desired order.

    What are the chances of getting the ability to re-order the entries (and hopefully SOON)?

    --- Denise
  • leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,723 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 11, 2015
    What are the chances of getting the ability to re-order the entries (and hopefully SOON)?

    There's 2 trains of thought:
    1) Just got something out that's better than what's there. Don't worry about how it integrates or if it's the best tool ever but in the interest of time, put something out. Will require redoing so that it integrates with future features.
    2) Do it the right way, figure out how it will play in with the rest of the site, take longer and properly integrate it so that a second version is not needed.

    On this one we'd like to do it right so the timeframe is going to be not as quick as we'd all like.
    SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    Website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 12,674 moderator
    edited January 11, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    There's 2 trains of thought:
    1) Just got something out that's better than what's there. Don't worry about how it integrates or if it's the best tool ever but in the interest of time, put something out. Will require redoing so that it integrates with future features.
    2) Do it the right way, figure out how it will play in with the rest of the site, take longer and properly integrate it so that a second version is not needed.

    On this one we'd like to do it right so the timeframe is going to be not as quick as we'd all like.
    I would agree that the 2nd option is the right way to go.

    The thing that is really getting to me right now is that at one point the entries stuck the way I selected them. That meant I needed to deselect all entries and select them again in order to add a new entry where I wanted it. That no longer seems to be the case. With the change I made tonight it doesn't matter what I did - the order is not the order I want. The entries in that block are not showing in the order in which I selected them.

    --- Denise
  • leftquarkleftquark SmugMug Product Team Administrators, Vanilla Admin, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 3,723 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 12, 2015
    The thing that is really getting to me right now is that at one point the entries stuck the way I selected them. That meant I needed to deselect all entries and select them again in order to add a new entry where I wanted it. That no longer seems to be the case. With the change I made tonight it doesn't matter what I did - the order is not the order I want. The entries in that block are not showing in the order in which I selected them.

    That's a good reminder -- thanks. I was going to grab a Sorcerer and see if we could hash out that small bug. Stay tuned.
    SmugMug Director of Product / dGrin Afficionado
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    Website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 12,674 moderator
    edited January 12, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    That's a good reminder -- thanks. I was going to grab a Sorcerer and see if we could hash out that small bug. Stay tuned.
    Thanks! Let me know if I can do anything to help.

    --- Denise
  • JtringJtring Major grins CaliforniaRegistered Users Posts: 559 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2019

    @leftquark said:

    When I first got on to tackle this I saw 3 issues:
    1) When the FGP Block is set to "organizer position" it wasn't following the organizer's position.
    2) When the FGP Block is set to "Items I Choose", it can randomly re-order if a user doesn't do anything except click "Done" and "Publish"
    3) When the FGP Block is set to "Items I Choose", there's no easy way to set the order.

    Everyone is in agreement that #3 is needed, however, it's not as simple as fixing a small bug. We'll want to do it right and just rushing something out isn't going to make everyone happy. We want to do it right. Sadly, I can't tell you when we can get to this as we have to manage priorities.

    Fixing #1 was something we felt we could do right away and that's why we pushed the minor bug fix.
    We still need to fix #2 so that the order doesn't change without making any changes.

    I'd like to bump this ancient thread because, all these years later, #3 remains the biggest bugaboo in managing my site on a week-to-week basis. The only way to change the order or entries in an FGP block is to blow away the whole selection and build it again from scratch. I do that every time I re do my Featured Galleries page. Despite the name, that page often includes some featured folders so I need an FGP block. I do that every time I want to add a new gallery to one of my middle level mixed folder-and-gallery lists, like this one. The workaround of rebuilding from scratch gets the job done, but it is a pain. When the lists are long, I generally have to write them out on paper before doing the live rebuild since there is no opportunity to fix an error except by starting over.

    As for the others, Number 1 got worked, although there was some follow-on discussion noting that it would be nice if the organizer allowed folders, galleries, and pages to be interleaved rather than placing all subfolders first, then galleries, then pages.

    Number 2 is still around but you have to be inattentive to mess up. The FGP widget can reorder entries with no input from the user if you just bring up what looks to be the mechanism to edit the list. But to go live with the scrambled list a user has to hit a "DONE" button twice (rather than "CANCEL") when the scrambled list is visible ... and then hit "PUBLISH".

    Suffice to say, the issues Leftquark summarized, and which were worked through in this half-decade old thread, remain to point. Maybe now that the new lightbox is in more-or-less final form, this one could float back to the surface?

    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • AllenAllen "tweak 'til it squeaks" St. Louis, MoRegistered Users Posts: 9,787 Major grins

    One trick I learned, before changing, is open the FGP page in a new tab and don't touch it. The order of items is frozen so you have something to check without writing it all down.

    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website | My Blog
Sign In or Register to comment.