Options

New camera combo - opinion

AMSAAMSA Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited August 26, 2013 in Cameras
Hello people
I'm new to the forum and I would like to have your opinion about buying a new camera and lens.

My first dSLR was the 300D for half year and then I bought a 350D in Sept 2007, which I have it since then. About the lens, I got the EFS 18-55 mk2, Sigma 70-300 APO and recently I bought the 50 1.8 mk2, which I already had the chance to make some shots with her in order to confirm the IQ, according to several reviews and comments on the net.

Now, after 6 years shooting with the 350D and same I'm interested on buying a new body and at least one all round lens with greater IQ than the 18-55 (which is not difficult!).

I'm definately not a professional photographer, but I'm thinking of getting into the photography business with a friend, step by step, making some small works, like couples, etc.

I've been reading on the net many reviews, many comments and so on, and I came across with the APS-C 7D and 24-105 f4L IS USM. Both items would cost around 1700€. Can you tell me what you think about this combo ? For the kind of work I mentioned above.
By the way, since my budget is not that high, the full frame cameras (5D3 I say) are out of my plan for now, but which concerns the lens, I want one that would also fit on a full frame camera, if you know what I mean.
For example, the 17-55 2.8 IS is also a great lens, but she's an EFS. If I buy this one, I would have to sell it later in case I switch for a full frame in the future.

I guess this is all right now.
Thanks in advance!
Regards

Comments

• Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Don't imagine anyone would say that 7D and 24-105 is anything other than a good choice.

I looked into the choice between 17-55 EF-S and the EF 24-105 myself a few years ago for my crop camera and came down in favour of the 17-55. I never regretted the decision in the slightest, not even now when I am thinking of moving to full frame. Should I decide to sell the 17-55 there is a good second-hand market and meanwhile I have enjoyed the f. 2.8. The f2.8 is used by the centre point for high precision focussing which might be useful for your work should you intend working with very shallow depth of field. And you have an extra f stop.

Perhaps the decision you really need to reflect on is if and when you want to move to full frame. The value of a new 24-105 in a 6D kit is roughly equivalent to the price I have been offered to trade-in my five year old 17-55 which should tell you something about comparative value of the two lenses. My feeling is that 7D+17-55 would be a wonderful choice and likely keep you satisfied for a few years.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited August 22, 2013
    ... My feeling is that 7D+17-55 would be a wonderful choice and likely keep you satisfied for a few years.

15524779-Ti.gif The Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM really is that good of a lens.

If you feel that you "must" purchase a FF lens in a similar range, I recommend a Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM. You give up a bit of range, the larger aperture and optical stabilization, but it's still an excellent lens and holds it value well too.

If you're really strapped for cash, the Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP Aspherical (IF) in Canon mount has the larger aperture and very nice image quality. While not in the same league as the above two lenses, it's an excellent value and capable of professional results.

Still, I cannot stress enough how good the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is. It's a lens that I would rapidly replace if anything happened to it. It is my first recommendation.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Don't imagine anyone would say that 7D and 24-105 is anything other than a good choice.

I will. I think the 70D has made the 7D basically obsolete. And 24mm (38mm) is not wide enough on APS-C. AMSA has spent enough time with his 350D that I think he's earned something new.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    If you know you're going to upgrade to FF what about buying a 17-55 2.8 used? That way you pay less now (750-800 right now looking around the internet if you buy from a well known vendor like KEH or B&H) and can get back most of it when you go FF, same holds true for the 17-50 Tamron.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    I will. I think the 70D has made the 7D basically obsolete. And 24mm (38mm) is not wide enough on APS-C. AMSA has spent enough time with his 350D that I think he's earned something new.

I agree. The 7D is long in the tooth, and in my opinion, the fact that you can take 8 frames a second
    isn't going to help you while taking portraits.

The fact that you have used a Rebel for so long, and have no complains about it, I's suggest staying
    with the Rebel line. A T4i or T5i will probably do everything you want it to.

Lenses are really a personal choice.
    You have a portrait lens, the 50 F1.8, you have a long range lens in the 70-300.
    Maybe you should look for something in-between.

The lens on a budget is a Tamron 28-70 F2.8.
    Is can be used on a crop or FF camera, and has f2.8 speed, but, no i.s.

Good luck in your quest.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    AMSAAMSA Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2013
    Thanks for all your anwers! They made my mind more clear.

Because of the budget I have, I guess I won't be moving to FF in a few years - let say 3 years at least - unless the "thing" (profitable works) that we (me and my friend) are gonna start to do, allow us to upgrade the gear. So for now I'll forget the FF cameras and L lens.

Turning to APS-C options, I have the Canon 7D or the newer Rebel ones 650D/700D like davev said, but comparing them to the 7D they don't really seem to motivate me - vs 1/8000 shutter speed, 8 FPS, 100% VF, 19 focus points for 7D. I think the 7D will give me a huge jump over my 350D.
    jmphotocraftm mentioned the 70D, well I already took a look over her after the announcement, she doesn't seem to be a bad choice either because, compared to the 7D, the major differences are - 98% vs 100% VF, less FPS but this is not a problem, higher resolution and swivel LCD that it could come handy sometimes. It's been said that 70D is more turned to movie shooters than for photo shooters, this is true ? But talking overall, she well serves both public right ?
    If 70D turns out to beat the 7D in real tests, I might consider buying her. The only thing that bothers me A LOT is the fact the 70D uses SD cards rather than CF (7D/350D) :(

Now talking about the lens, I haven't decided yet.
    The Canon 17-55 2.8 IS USM would fit on the 7D like a charm, as you say, but I think her too expensive for now :(
    The Tamron would be a nice option too, but what you think of Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS HSM for 444€ ? The reviews says she has similar IQ as the Canon, better vignetting and CA a bit higher. I think she would lose for Canon on the 5mm difference and QC. What you think ?
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    It looks to me like the 70D has a noticeably superior sensor. The 7D's sensor wasn't that great. I had one.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    It looks to me like the 70D has a noticeably superior sensor. The 7D's sensor wasn't that great. I had one.

I agree, and I had two of them, one when they first came out, one about six months ago.
    I forgot about how poor my keeper rate was with the 7D, but it came to me quickly after a few outings
    with the second one.

I've owned a lot of Canon cameras. I think the 18 mp sensor through the T3i are the worst that Canon
    Has made.

That's not to say you can't get good shots using these cameras, but you have to do more post work on the shots.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    davev wrote: »
    I agree, and I had two of them, one when they first came out, one about six months ago.
    I forgot about how poor my keeper rate was with the 7D, but it came to me quickly after a few outings
    with the second one.

I've owned a lot of Canon cameras. I think the 18 mp sensor through the T3i are the worst that Canon
    Has made.

That's not to say you can't get good shots using these cameras, but you have to do more post work on the shots.

Laughing.gif !

Actually those 18MP models are probably the best (and best selling) of the crop models

e.g. one from this past weekend with an old Canon 60D 18 MP sensor

9595719162_286e69467f_c.jpg