Options

70D ISO Test, Straight from the Camera, JPG's

2»

Comments

• Options
    WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    In other news, I had the good pleasure of testing the 70D's RAW performance the other day with the Sigma 18-35 1.8, and suffice it to say that image quality does indeed deteriorate roughly the same as all other Canon 1.6x cameras between 3200 and 12800, with maybe a marginal improvement. But certainly no leap or bound has been made. Test results coming soon.

=Matt=
    Yes, 3200 and below gives clean results. Surprisingly clean. The noise increase is linear and pretty faint through that range. There's a bigger jump in deterioration (not just noise. Detail loss, color fade, etc) between 3200 and 6400 than 1600 and 3200. I will probably never use iso 6400+ except possibly on something for personal use.

IMO, just the improvements in focusing would be enough to justify the body. The iso improvement over other bodies in this range (that I've used to compare to) is just added on. I haven't had the least bit of buyer's remorse - yet. I may when/if the 7d replacement arrives though.
  • Options
    Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    If you think the NFL / Superbowl is not big enough to time a camera release on an international scale, well, I dunno what to say without sounding like an annoying American. Suffice it to say, the US is a pretty well-populated country, with a serious addiction to consumerism. Even if the corporate goal is only to sell beginner DSLRs, the fanfare of releasing a flagship in time for any fall sports season, or any sort of highly televised championship, makes this a very likely scenario actually. If not the NFL in particular, at least the combination of the NFL plus other sports which seem to all get underway around the same time in late summer / fall...

=Matt=

It may well be the big sports events create release dates, but I would expect it not to. And I certainly ain't gonna dig out major sporting events that were around the release dates of manufacturers models, of any brand.

To say the NFL is big enough (or any other sport in the world) is like saying Prince William & Kate Middleton are having a baby so we'll launch the next version of diapers (nappies in England).

Not being argumentative, just saying it's not likely that one event in sport means anew model released specifically for them to launch simultaneously.

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2013
    DPP applies noise reduction by default unless you turn it off.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2013
    Paul Iddon wrote: »
    It may well be the big sports events create release dates, but I would expect it not to. And I certainly ain't gonna dig out major sporting events that were around the release dates of manufacturers models, of any brand.

To say the NFL is big enough (or any other sport in the world) is like saying Prince William & Kate Middleton are having a baby so we'll launch the next version of diapers (nappies in England).

Not being argumentative, just saying it's not likely that one event in sport means anew model released specifically for them to launch simultaneously.

Paul.

Fair enough, I understand that from an international, corporate viewpoint it seems impractical and not very worthwhile to plan a release around a single sport. However on the other hand, it doesn't hurt either. (Or, like I said, a common season in general does seem to be a trend among releases. Lots of flagship sports lenses get released right about now, in the fall...)
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2013
    Update: I posted my sample RAW images here: http://www.slrlounge.com/canon-70d-raw-high-iso-field-test

There's also a sample video at ISO 6400, but it's pretty darn grainy!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum