Options

Smugmug Gallery Page Button

RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
edited August 23, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
OK, so we lost the page numbers above the thumbs, but is there any way to replace the page selection arrow under the thumbs? It looks like something from the 80's. I love the way my site looks, but that arrow is terrible. I don't mind the drop down box with page numbers. I can't believe that's the best icon they could come up with.
A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    RKnecht wrote: »
    ... I can't believe that's the best icon they could come up with.
    Obviously whoever designed this is new and has no idea what the legacy site used for this.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    The arrows under the thumbnails go from image to image, the ones on the sides of the thumbs go from page to page... or am I missing your point? Do you have a screenshot?

Thanks,

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    aschendel wrote: »
    The arrows under the thumbnails go from image to image, the ones on the sides of the thumbs go from page to page... or am I missing your point? Do you have a screenshot?

Thanks,

Andy

Andy, I'm using the Smugmug style for thumbs. Here's a link to a page with the awful arrow:

http://www.richknechtphotography.com/Gallery-Index/DogAgility2013/Dog-Training-Club-of-Chester/Saturday-Colors-Levels-345/i-wN7HpHV

Every timeI look at it I want to sing that song..." which one of these things is not like the other....which one of these things just doesn't belong.....". IMO, it really ruins the whole new look.

• Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Oh, and to make matters worse, when there are more than 9 pages of thumbs, the second digit is visible after the arrow box. This looks awful IMO.

Link:
    http://www.richknechtphotography.com/Gallery-Index/DogAgility2013/Dauphin-Dog-Traing-Club-AKC/Saturday-Excellent-3/i-JrC5ZKW

OK, I was able to get rid of the page numbers "hiding" under that awful arrow. I used this code:

.sm-gallery-tiles-pagination-total {
    display:none;
    }

I also got rid of the second down arrow by using this code:

.sm-fonticon.sm-fonticon-small.sm-fonticon-AngleBracketDown {
    display:none;
    }

• Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    I'm sorry, I misunderstood your concern, you were (obviously, now that I reread your post) talking about the poorly styled dropdown box / page navigation under the thumbnails. Yes, that is a stylized version of a "stock" HTML control (so mid-90's), whose actual look varies between OS and browser versions. The paging < > arrows beside the thumbnails and image < > arrows under the bigger image are what I thought you meant.

I think there is a feature request or bug report for that area of the screen, I think it's supposed to show the total number of pages. If you remove their CSS you can get it to look like the attached...

Andy
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    I'm sorry, I misunderstood your concern, you were (obviously, now that I reread your post) talking about the poorly styled dropdown box / page navigation under the thumbnails. Yes, that is a stylized version of a "stock" HTML control (so mid-90's), whose actual look varies between OS and browser versions. The paging < > arrows beside the thumbnails and image < > arrows under the bigger image are what I thought you meant.

I think there is a feature request or bug report for that area of the screen, I think it's supposed to show the total number of pages. If you remove their CSS you can get it to look like the attached...

Andy

What CSS needs to be removed/ altered?
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013

Andy

Oh, you seem really informed on the code end of things... any idea on how to replace those arrows?
    Both sets pagination (next to thumbs) and image change-ination under thumbs?
  • Options
    einateinat Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    If you remove their CSS you can get it to look like the attached...

What CSS has to be removed? I did not enter any CSS that has to do with the thumbnails, the digits dont hide the arrow, but my dropdown doesn't look as nice at the one you attached.

Here's a gallery (or rather - all photos of a certain keyword) with more than 9 pages:
    http://einatix.smugmug.com/keyword/people
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    What CSS needs to be removed/ altered?
    einat wrote: »
    What CSS has to be removed? I did not enter any CSS that has to do with the thumbnails, the digits dont hide the arrow, but my dropdown doesn't look as nice at the one you attached.

Ah, just some of their goofy formatting of that area, I did it temporarily via Firebug by un-checking various style rules that seem like they would apply to the problem at hand (margins, padding, widths, etc.). It actually looks great in IE10 on Win8 so anything we try to do would have to be browser-specific... IIRC, this has been submitted as a bug so maybe waiting for them to release a bit more universal HTML/CSS would be the best course of action (inaction, technically).

Oh, you seem really informed on the code end of things... any idea on how to replace those arrows?
    Both sets pagination (next to thumbs) and image change-ination under thumbs?

Thanks, but they are using more advanced techniques (custom Fonts?) than I really know about - Lamah did some magic though on the download Icon so maybe he can provide something for these too.

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    After putting the code in that I listed above, I checked other browsers. In FF it looked fine. However, in Safari and IE, it did not. So, I am back to the overlapping box/numbers. I think SM should just go back to the old page number info. Why they changed this is a mystery to me. It's a huge step backwards IMO.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    einat wrote: »

Here's a gallery (or rather - all photos of a certain keyword) with more than 9 pages:
    http://einatix.smugmug.com/keyword/people

My question was to Andy, based on his comment... sorry.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    RKnecht wrote: »
    After putting the code in that I listed above, I checked other browsers. In FF it looked fine. However, in Safari and IE, it did not. So, I am back to the overlapping box/numbers. I think SM should just go back to the old page number info. Why they changed this is a mystery to me. It's a huge step backwards IMO.

Mine looks good in FF also, after adding your code. IE10 is b0rked regardess of your code...headscratch.gif
    Who codes this crap? It took me forever to build my legacy site because I checked 4 differnet browsers for compatibility every time I customized... they were all browsers that SM said they supported mind you... I guess SM developers don't/ didn't do the same...ne_nau.gif
    End of Rant... sorry. Just tired of buggy code being the answer to things... SOunds like a Micro Soft release.:D