Options

email forwarding

AlliOOPAlliOOP Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
edited August 23, 2013 in Mind Your Own Business
My domain host routes every mail coming in to chris@mydomain to my gmail box. I use gmail to collect all my mail both business and personal and from some legacy addresses that are also set to forward to gmail. From gmail I can reply using any of my addresses.

One advantage in future is that I can easily move from gmail without having to change addresses. The same goes when you own your own domain name - you can move domain hosting company if need be. You might want to check with the Godaddy plan should you go with them - when I looked a while back I was not convinced that I would actually own my domain name and be able to move it to a different host without hassle - but I may be wrong.

At the moment I use my domain for my business website as well as email forwarding. So I have no link between my domain and my smugmug site. I am actually thinking of opening a second smugmug account to replace what I maintain myself on my domain because the new Smugmug looks much better than my Rapidwriter web site does. I will then leave my current Smugmug site as is, primarily for friends and family.

Hope this helps...

I took this outside the other posting so not to hijack the other person's questions.

This is much the same as what I do. In fact, it is almost entirely the same as my setup. One question for you Chris, where do you access inside gmail the ability to select any of your email addresses as a reply? Is it part of the linking feature inside the gmail setup?

I currently do the same aggregation for my personal email addresses using Outlook Express on my desktop but need a way to do the same for my business accounts when I am on the road using Webmail.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited August 22, 2013
    I use Thunderbird to read email. I DL the contents of several mailboxes into their respective folders. T-bird keeps track of the account details and uses the correct "from" address. I would assume gmail does the same thing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    AlliOOP, in gmail you set email addresses you own by clicking the gearwheel on the far right of the gmail page and selecting Settings. You can then add any email address you own and set the default for replying.

When composing or replying gmail will insert your default in the "from" field. There is a small down arrow next to the field which enables you to change to one of your other addresses if you wish.