Options

Why are all my CSS codes now formatted into one giant Horizontal line of text??

pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
edited August 23, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Has anyone experienced the following issue:

I had all my used CSS codes organized and listed one after the other, even with the /*comments and titles*/ for easy reference in the CSS block for "Entire Site".

I then go back into my CSS block today to add a code, and I see *all* of my previous codes squashed into a big horizontal line of text, no spacing, with those reference comments gone! I obviously did not do anything to cause this, since I had not been playing with anything today. It was fine yesterday.

I don't like having to search for code to edit by scrolling sideways.
I may have to just copy and re paste the codes I used (which I'd saved in a text file), but it's a pain and I want ensure it doesn't happen again, but I don't know how it occurred in the first place.

Anyone have any idea as to how or why this has occurred? Is this a "bug"? :dunno
pmb images
Film/TV Stills Photography
"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser

Comments

• Options
    einateinat Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    I don't see that on my theme CSS. FWIW, I put all of my CSS in a text file (Notepad++), so I just copy/paste the whole file to my theme's CSS box.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    It looks like SmugMug don't store your original CSS for CSS blocks, they only store a minified version which removes all your comments and linebreaks. The global theme CSS is stored unmolested, though.

Report it in the bugs forum, this behaviour is dumb enough to be called a bug, especially when it results in the erasure of all your comments.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    I don't see that on my theme CSS. FWIW, I put all of my CSS in a text file (Notepad++), so I just copy/paste the whole file to my theme's CSS box.

Hi Mike.
    Oh, for sure, I already replaced my codes that way with my back-up text file. I was just puzzled as to why this happened, and if it's something we can prevent/avoid.
    Whether it's in the "Theme" CSS or the "Entire Site" (or whichever) CSS block, it shouldn't have happened to begin with. There are people who probably have tons more code/comments than I do.

Maybe there shouldn't be an "Entire Site" block then, if he Theme one works the same? I dunno...ne_nau.gif

I logged out then back in and it seems to stick well, for now. I'll take note of using the Theme CSS for all site-wide stuff then. That "Entire Site" block has me nervous now.
    pmb images
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    It looks like SmugMug don't store your original CSS for CSS blocks, they only store a minified version which removes all your comments and linebreaks. The global theme CSS is stored unmolested, though.

Report it in the bugs forum, this behaviour is dumb enough to be called a bug, especially when it results in the erasure of all your comments.

Thanks Lamah! I will report it there. thumb.gif

I wish I knew about that truncating of the code lines thing. I would not have used that section then, for my site-wide/global stuff.
    pmb images
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    pmbpro wrote: »
    Hi Mike.
    Oh, for sure, I already replaced my codes that way with my back-up text file. I was just puzzled as to why this happened, and if it's something we can prevent/avoid.
    Whether it's in the "Theme" CSS or the "Entire Site" (or whichever) CSS block, it shouldn't have happened to begin with. There are people who probably have tons more code/comments than I do.

Maybe there shouldn't be an "Entire Site" block then, if he Theme one works the same? I dunno...ne_nau.gif

I logged out then back in and it seems to stick well, for now. I'll take note of using the Theme CSS for all site-wide stuff then. That "Entire Site" block has me nervous now.

I use that for everything, be it site-wide or just one page or gallery.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    I use that for everything, be it site-wide or just one page or gallery.

In that case, think they should just get rid of the CSS block then, and keep CSS Theme version if it works for everything. What's the purpose of dragging CSS blocks on the pages then? Perhaps removing that may reduce confusion and the "Which CSS section should I paste this..." questions too? ne_nau.gif
    pmb images
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    pmbpro wrote: »
    In that case, think they should just get rid of the CSS block then, and keep CSS Theme version if it works for everything. What's the purpose of dragging CSS blocks on the pages then?

CSS blocks are an easy way of making CSS that only applies to one page. It's a pain to target just one page in the global Theme CSS.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    CSS blocks are an easy way of making CSS that only applies to one page. It's a pain to target just one page in the global Theme CSS.

Okay. That makes sense. My original plan after discovering this bug was to just keep my global stuff in the Theme CS anyway, which I'd ended up doing after all, tonight. The only codes I have that are different are for my home page (slideshow stuff).

I'm wondering about Allen's HTML block issue too.
    I do hope this bug gets fixed then, because it'll be a hassle even to just re-paste codes back in again.
    pmb images
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Just a note to say I noticed this yesterday as well. I have to admit, I used my CSS in a site-wide footer because that's how we did it in Legacy. I'll move my stuff to the theme tab...
  • Options
    snakeey11snakeey11 Registered Users Posts: 88 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 23, 2013

I mentioned this in another thread, but this was a bug that should be fixed as of a week or so ago. Please let us know if you are still seeing your comments being removed when you go back to edit a CSS block.

Note that comments in CSS blocks that are older will be gone, but you should be able to add them and have them stick now, when you go back to edit the CSS block.

-Mike
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    (and an avid landscape photographer - view my website)
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    snakeey11 wrote: »
    I mentioned this in another thread, but this was a bug that should be fixed as of a week or so ago. Please let us know if you are still seeing your comments being removed when you go back to edit a CSS block.

Note that comments in CSS blocks that are older will be gone, but you should be able to add them and have them stick now, when you go back to edit the CSS block.

-Mike

Thanks Mike! thumb.gif
    pmb images