Bay Colony Cluster Dog Show

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited December 12, 2005 in People
My wife, who is actually a good writer came with me this time and I hope to post her story about this event along with the shots she selects. Until then, I liked these.

47782466-L.jpg

47782552-L.jpg

47782698-L.jpg

47782841-L.jpg

47783018-L.jpg

47790977-L.jpg

47791140-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    It's a fun topic, it really made Best in Show come to mind. I like the shallow DOF you're using in these images.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • DilemmaDilemma Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    The amount of time that goes into the grooming of some of these breeds is staggering. Bichons and Poodles in particular. Aside from photography, this is my other hobby. (It actually pays, but not NEARLY enough.)
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    I think it is the third one I like best, Rutt. That and the husky. I used to own huskies, way back in the early sixties. Love those dogs.

But I am not crazy about dog shows. Skye was actually the pick of his litter, his breeder wanted me to show him. We went to a show here in Charleston, saw the breeder, checked out all the dogs and just introduced Skye around, with his sister.

Skye and I didn't like it. All those big people and my little dog!

No, I couldn't afford it, I did all I could to discourage the breeder, it worked. We all ended up happy I think. Now Skye has dysplasia, and I think "he was the pick".

The photos bring back those memories. I did get a cool sweatshirt at a show a few years ago, when we met the breeder again with poor anxious Skye.

ginger

Good photos, memories...............

I think I would photograph a dog show from the dog's eye view.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited December 10, 2005
    Skye and I didn't like it. All those big people and my little dog!
    Some dogs just dont enjoy this kind of thing. Socialization is the key for them. From day one, true show dogs are out getting socialized.
    Now Skye has dysplasia, and I think "he was the pick".
    I am sorry to hear this. However, "Pick" as you say, generally doesnt go to non show types. Most, and I stress MOST breeders who have a dog they feel is "Pick" will only send that dog to a home where he will be shown. In other words, so called "Show homes." Assuming these people are not back yard types in it for the money, in which case they wouldnt know "Show quality" from"Pet quality."
    No, I couldn't afford it
    It's getting out of hand. Entry fees, searching for "Majors" handling fees, (This is where I come in):D

All in all, most people involved in it are in it for the love of dogs. There is a bad element in most pursuits I am afraid,,,,,,,,
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Rutt they are lovely shots, they really show it as it is, and could be in any country. I'd never go "there" again, I showed Basenjis lots of years back. A few years was enough, I could never really relate to the whole dog-show scene. Now I've come back to being a dog owner I have opted for happy cross-breds, and I guess competing in the Flyball team has now also become a bit of an obsession - that was never my intention, but it crept up. Anyway please tell Mrs Rutt we are looking out for her photo-choices, and her matching words on showies and showing.
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I think it is the third one I like best, Rutt. That and the husky. I used to own huskies, way back in the early sixties. Love those dogs.

No, I couldn't afford it, I did all I could to discourage the breeder, it worked. We all ended up happy I think. Now Skye has dysplasia, and I think "he was the pick".

The photos bring back those memories. I did get a cool sweatshirt at a show a few years ago, when we met the breeder again with poor anxious Skye.

ginger

Good photos, memories...............

I think I would photograph a dog show from the dog's eye view.

ginger, sorry to hear your baby has dysplasia. i have a chessie who had that when we got him at 11 months of age. he had surgery on both hips and now is 8 and you would never know he'd had it...

i used to show my other chessie, but in obedience, and always got a kick out of the ones who needed all the grooming. i, too, like photo number 3. i think it really captures the essence of showing from the dog's point of view.

:):
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    I had a little trouble figuring out whether the dogs like being shown. The "agility" dogs certainly do like it. Certainly the "beauty contest" dogs like the pre-show attention.

I'm thinking of entering that #3 shot in the FM WA, "Occupational Portraits". I have some others, but this one has a better ambiguity as to whose occupation is in question.
    If not now, when?
    edited December 11, 2005
    I had a little trouble figuring out whether the dogs like being shown.
    The great ones, absolutely LOVE it and know they are in the ring. I have seen it time and time again. A big winning "Special" doenst win big without loving the show,,,,,,
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    That third one makes me laugh!

There are certainly dogs who enjoy shows. I belong to a list where all this is discussed. An interesting part of this discussion recently was that the best dogs for agility, flyball and other performance "sports" might be the ones who have the best conformations for show.

I read most, if not all, the posts on that subject, found it very interesting and I would agree that a dog who is "put together" well has a diffinite advantage in the world of performance.

And, of course, you could get mixed breeds who are put together well. Or not.

The third photo made me laugh, the others did not. I would use the third photo.

And thanks, Livingnoz for your comments re Skye. He is 4 now, surgery is not being discussed, but I have no plans for him other than as a rather sedentary pet. He is in a good home for that, smile. I do not take him with me in my photography endeavors. Too many chances for any dog to get hurt with the cars, gators and whatall.

Other activities such as the beach, well, they will just be shorter. It is just one of those things. And, as one of those things, it is interesting that he is the first dog I bought after a longish waiting period, whose parents had been tested, and everything possible had been done so that this would not be the case with this dog. On the other hand, I have owned many dogs from backyard breeders, whatever, nary a problem such as this. I find some sick humor in this.

I will say, he is the best dog I have ever owned as far as being suited to my personality. He is also one of the few males I have owned. The breeder picked him out for me, but she did say. and she meant it, that I was the first one there, I could pick out any of the dogs I wanted, including the females. It seems that breeder types often prefer to have a kennel of females, that was my experience.

I have another dog, Merry Chapel, another Corgi, from a breeder who shows and tests, etc. She is 2, but appears fine, I can use her as a hearing dog, and I do to a degree. I firmly believe in dogs from breeders, whose parents have been tested, where the breeders stand behind their dogs, know their dogs, etc. But, it is funny to me as I have not been able to convince my kids to go the extra mile for this. Now with Skye having dysplasia, well, it will make my job more difficult in explaining to my kids how his personality match far out weighs any misfortune of genetics.

I have had mixed breeds, too, just not as many. Mostly Huskies and Shetland Sheepdogs.

I had had no experience with shows until I got Skye. I had to eat my promise to show him. And it worked out fine. His breeder has stayed in touch, she is as interested in Merry Chapel, as she is in him, she is just a dog type person. A fine one. I know some dog people I like from my Corgi list and some I don't.

I feel very uncomfortable at shows which I am sure influenced Skye.

Rutt,I love that third photo. Not being a dog show groomer type person, I do not enjoy dogs photographed from the back as well. I, too, am looking fwd to your wife's writings.

Smile,
    ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    I have one beauty queen being groomed to show:

47899923-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    Rutt,
    I love the expression on the dog in #3. Actually the lady is good too.:D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • MelPMelP Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    I absolutely adore the last one.
    I had a Siberian Husky that looked almost just like that one. Had her for close to 12 years.

Great shots!!!

Mel
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    for ginger
    this is max, our corgi.....who gets along great with trevor, our chessie....
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff