Options

Change browser title text?

cntastrocntastro Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited September 2, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Does anybody know how to change the text that appears in the browser title?

Example: Screen Shot 2013-08-22 at 9.30.43 PM.jpg

Thanks!
- Craig

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    Where? On Dgrin? Or on your SmugMug site? You posted a pic from Dgrin.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    On my SmugMug site - the attached was just an example to show which "title text" I was in reference to.

Thanks!
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
    If you mean the site title for your SmugMug site, this is controlled from your Profile (click your username at the top right of the screen, then Profile). It should be the "Site Name" setting in there.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Thanks, but I don't think it's the site name. I went to the area you referred to, but that's not it. Here's another screen shot of my SmugMug site. I want to change the "Craig & Tammy Temple". I think that came over in the migration to the new site and want to modify it.

Screen Shot 2013-08-22 at 9.48.53 PM.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Really? Because when I edit the site name for my site, it does change the name in my title bar. Maybe there is a second site name setting hidden somewhere which is overriding the Site Name.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Ok - turns out you were right...something was overriding the "Site Name," at least on the home page. I had to go back to the "Legacy" site and into the customizations. There was a setting for the browser title there. I removed it and then the Site Name started working.

Thanks for the help!!
    - Craig
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2013
    Ah, I think that might be Account Settings -> Discovery -> Search -> Site Meta Title. Glad to hear it's working now!
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Site Meta Titles Displaying Wrong
    While on my homepage my site meta title displays correctly:

i-X2PkMMd-L.png

But... when I navigate to any gallery the site title changes to the gallery name + my smugmug id which is: id
    This should show my custom domain rather than the smugmug domain… correct?

i-3NDfNVP-L.png

How can this be corrected so that my custom domain shows after the gallery rather than my smugmug domain?
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    Cindy wrote: »
    While on my homepage my site meta title displays correctly:

i-X2PkMMd-L.png

But... when I navigate to any gallery the site title changes to the gallery name + my smugmug id which is: id
    This should show my custom domain rather than the smugmug domain… correct?

i-3NDfNVP-L.png

How can this be corrected so that my custom domain shows after the gallery rather than my smugmug domain?

Anyone??? How do we get the custom domain rather than the smugmug nickname to display in browser titles? I guess I could change my smugmug nickname from id to Co-Bear… but not sure what consequences would occur as a result???
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    It set to 'id' which is my smugmug nickname. Can I change it there to say 'Co-Bear' without it changing my actual nickname?
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    Bam… went ahead & changed it & that's exactly what it needed! Thank You!!!
    ??? Question : Would it benefit my site to change the nickname to Co-Bear? If I do… would that bork my custom domain settings at go daddy or any other negative effects I should be aware of?
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    It shouldn't affect your custom domain. The nickname pretty much only controls your SmugMug domain name at http://nickname.smugmug.com/. If you've got any links out there to your site which are using that SmugMug domain name, they will be broken if you change your nickname, so I would probably leave it alone.
  • Options
    cedericcederic Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins

I've read through this conversation and regretably I'm still a bit confused. The nickname is probably harmless to change but as it's part of a domain name I can't use characters such as an apostrophe in it.

There's no way to just disable the " - nickname" that appears in the title bar? I'd prefer not to have any text there at all, but if I do need text then I'm not sure I want it to be identical to my Smugmug subdomain.

Images below showing the relevant settings..

• Options

No suggestions? :(

This is a bewildering and silly aspect of the site design. What single word makes sense to append to every single gallery and photograph on my site? That hasn't already been used by another customer.

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator

@cederic said:
    No suggestions? :(

This is a bewildering and silly aspect of the site design. What single word makes sense to append to every single gallery and photograph on my site? That hasn't already been used by another customer.

It doesn't need to be a single word - I have multiple words in my Site Meta Title and the words in that setting are showing in the browser tab. I wonder if the apostrophe in your title is causing the issue.

• Options

The Site Meta Title appears in the homepage, but not after the hyphen on the gallery pages - even after removing the apostrophe.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it was worth a go :)

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator

@cederic said:
    The Site Meta Title appears in the homepage, but not after the hyphen on the gallery pages - even after removing the apostrophe.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it was worth a go :)

I wonder if it might be worth contacting the help desk (http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new) and asking them to have a look. I just looked at your site and I am seeing the same heading behavior as you reported - but when I look at my site the site meta title is appended to heading no matter where I am in my site. I wonder if there is another setting somewhere that is causing this behavior.

• Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee

@cederic said:

Your display name in the profile just had to be resaved. I did that for you and the browser tab is now showing the correct info.

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero

Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options

Ah, lovely! As always, user error. Thank you for sorting it.