Options

[Solved] How to destroy customization

AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
edited August 25, 2013 in Bug Reporting
I just found out how to destroy any page customizations.
Go into customize, "make this page " add something like an html block it.
Click preview, browse around or not
Click Exit (this is what we've been doing all along to return to customize)
Now takes you to My Designs
Click Done and all you customization is lost.
Very dangerous when you're just doing what you've always done before.

Smugmug you snuck another thing in on us with no mention of the change.
You added new buttons on the preview page.
One, our familiar one, Exit, that we always clicked destroys the customization to the page.

Also found this
Preview > Publish > Publish Now > lost customization
Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
My Website index | My Blog

Comments

• Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Allen wrote: »

Smugmug you snuck another thing in on us with no mention of the change.
    One, our familiar one, Exit, that we always clicked destroys the customization to the page.

Just posting to confirm that I started getting all that happen to me. I got out fast and now I'm reluctant to go back in to "Customize" it any more until I see evidence here that SmugMug has regained control of the whole shebang.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    I'm too scared to check this works on mine.
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    other thing in on us with no mention of the change.
    Are you saying now that if I hit EXIT while in preview my changes are lost?

Wow.

And are the changes that are lost just those from that editing session, or all customizations?

Which brings up something I can't find in the new system -- backup? In the old, you could get the entirety of your customizations emailed to you. Is there nothing in the new system to back up your changes?
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Is there nothing in the new system to back up your changes?

Not currently, but I'm working on a client tool that could do that for us. At the moment, your best option is to copy and paste the contents of your CSS/HTML/Text blocks to a file on your computer.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Ferguson wrote: »
    Is there nothing in the new system to back up your changes?

Well, SM would appear to have somewhere to back up the changes:
    Baldy wrote: »
    We, ehem, bought a half million dollars worth of server equipment last year that they rendered obsolete with an announcement they made a month later.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Go into customize, "make this page "

Where is the "make this page" choice, I'm not seeing it. ear.gif
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Where is the "make this page" choice, I'm not seeing it. ear.gif
    It's when you set "just this folder" so it can be customize as a stand-a-lone from other folders.
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    You don't even have to start with making a page. The problem is happening if you try to do ANY customization work and then PREVIEW your site before publishing. I was stuck in a loop all day long yesterday, couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Every time I previewed it would make a copy of my site (and a copy of copy of copy), there was no way back to the modified design I had made and I would have to start from scratch all over again. Clicking on Customize takes me back to the unmodified template.

Many people are posting about the problem in the Show Us Your New Smugmug Site thread.
  • Options
    moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Allen, I've looked around, and it seems like while there IS a bug after previewing (publishing now does NOT in fact "publish now"), your customization is NOT lost.

If you go back and customize your site, the changes you made are still there. For now you will just have to go back into the customizer, then publish without preview.

In other words, it seems like "preview > publish > publish now" is now acting more like "publish later". A bug has been filed for this particular issue now, thanks.
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013

When I tried this by making a new custom page, I found the customizations were not published after I hit the DONE button, but that they were still there when I returned to the page in question and hit customize. If I then published the changes, they showed. If I then returned to that page, made another change and proceeded following your steps, I again had the changes in the 'publish later' status. I have not been able to destroy published customizations. On the other hand, my customizations consisted of things like a new color theme, option changes to the breadcrumb box, and some new content blocks. I didn't apply an html block. I don't know exactly what all this means except that a bit more experimentation with sacrificial pages is probably in order.

Jim Ringland
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Jtring wrote: »
    When I tried this by making a new custom page, I found the customizations were not published after I hit the DONE button, but that they were still there when I returned to the page in question and hit customize. If I then published the changes, they showed. If I then returned to that page, made another change and proceeded following your steps, I again had the changes in the 'publish later' status. I have not been able to destroy published customizations. On the other hand, my customizations consisted of things like a new color theme, option changes to the breadcrumb box, and some new content blocks. I didn't apply an html block. I don't know exactly what all this means except that a bit more experimentation with sacrificial pages is probably in order.

Jim Ringland
    The first time I noticed this was when going to Preview then clicking Exit like the old Preview worked. It
    went to a site design page and clicking done there the customizations was lost.

But I have approx. 90 folder pages that lost customization. Not just the one. It reset them all.
    I'm up to about 15 of these redone to add back the customization. Many more hours of work.

One folder page lost two boxes, one with galleries in it.

Then there's my guestbook. It change the page to a "gallery" page vs a "page". Lost three html boxes
    with two slideshows and text and comments.
  • Options
    moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Allen, regarding how you actually lost all your customization, it would help if you provided more verbose steps for how it occured.

This is what I just tried:
    - customize site
    - make this folder custom
    - added an html block
    - clicked preview
    - clicked exit
    - clicked done

when I went back to my folder, it was not published, but when I tried to customize again, the change was there

note that I actually tried to "browse around" as well and couldn't get anything to actually be destroyed.

Any more insight as to what else you might've done to cause your customizations to be lost?
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    moiraine wrote: »
    Allen, regarding how you actually lost all your customization, it would help if you provided more verbose steps for how it occured.

This is what I just tried:
    - customize site
    - make this folder custom
    - added an html block
    - clicked preview
    - clicked exit
    - clicked done

when I went back to my folder, it was not published, but when I tried to customize again, the change was there

note that I actually tried to "browse around" as well and couldn't get anything to actually be destroyed.

Any more insight as to what else you might've done to cause your customizations to be lost?
    After doing this below was when I noticed all the other similar folder pages were borked also. I clicked
    nothing on the site design page but the done? button. Seems it reset all these type folder pages back
    to "Copy of Smugmug" I assume.
    "The first time I noticed this was when going to Preview then clicking Exit like the old Preview worked.
    It went to a site design page and clicking done there the customizations was lost."

See screen shot in first post here. This is an example of what every one of these type folders that
    lost the html box on top of the image folder looked like. Actually this whole page now has
    nothing on it now, lost both boxes. The galleries were added spanning two months.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=239479
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 23, 2013
    As far as I can tell, we never destroyed any customization.

It seems as though we were creating a duplicate when you started customizing from the preview screen. We do that when you preview and then customize a SmugMug Design, but shouldn't do it when you are previewing your own Design. That part of it should now be fixed.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Sheaf wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, we never destroyed any customization.

It seems as though we were creating a duplicate when you started customizing from the preview screen. We do that when you preview and then customize a SmugMug Design, but shouldn't do it when you are previewing your own Design. That part of it should now be fixed.
    Then you're saying that these three pages are still out there somewhere?
    Any chance of getting them back? None have any content now.

http://www.photosbyat.com/Guestbook
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/Texas-Louisiana-Galleries
    http://www.photosbyat.com/ASM-Spring-Meeting
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Then you're saying that these three pages are still out there somewhere?
    Any chance of getting them back? None have any content now.

http://www.photosbyat.com/Guestbook
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/Texas-Louisiana-Galleries
    http://www.photosbyat.com/ASM-Spring-Meeting

Allen, try Choose a New Site Design. We were just making copies, so any customization on those should be in another of your Designs.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Allen, try Choose a New Site Design. We were just making copies, so any customization on those should be in another of your Designs.
    I've been fixing/adding back to about 30 of ~80 folder pages that were lost. Will it override all those
    current changes or mesh in?
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    I've been fixing/adding back to about 30 of ~80 folder pages that were lost. Will it override all those
    current changes or mesh in?

Nothing was lost unless you actually deleted them. Just name the Design you're customizing something so you can remember it, hit Done -> Publish Later, and then Choose a New Site Design.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Nothing was lost unless you actually deleted them. Just name the Design you're customizing something so you can remember it, hit Done -> Publish Later, and then Choose a New Site Design.
    Think I got it. Stuff/pages showing now. Should I delete all those "copies of SM"?
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Think I got it. Stuff/pages showing now. Should I delete all those "copies of SM"?

That's up to you, Allen. If you have the Design where you want it and are sure the copies are useless, by all means get rid of them.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    That's up to you, Allen. If you have the Design where you want it and are sure the copies are useless, by all means get rid of them.
    Removed them. Still haven't figured out how to rename it.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Removed them. Still haven't figured out how to rename it.

When you're customizing a Design, click the 'Settings' button at the top of the page.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013

This still happens here... and this is totally stupid. When in PreviewMode "CUSTOMIZE" will bring me back to customize mode... and i think the expected behavior for "EXIT" would be leave customize back to my website/what is published currently.

Using "EXIT" to bring someone back to "Choose a site design" is totally wrong.

The SM heroes might think this is solved... but really, it is not. "EXIT" from PreviewMode should not exit to "Choose a new site design". This is not logical.