Options

"Popular Photos" & "Recent Photos" display problem in new SmugMug

James LyallJames Lyall Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
edited September 13, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I wanted to mimic the 'Popular' and 'Recent' galleries from the legacy site to the new SM (in sandbox mode).
So, I created a page and placed it in a folder. On the page, I added a multiple photo container pointing at "Popular Photos". The page displays only as a grid and not as conventional gallery like legacy SM.
(Exactly the same is found for "Recent photos"). I should very much like to have a conventional gallery display for these photographs, as we used to have in legacy SM.

Could anyone suggest where I am going wrong? I shall be most grateful for any help. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited August 23, 2013
    You could just use the smug URLs and create links in your menu based on those URLs.

My site is set with Collage Landscape as the default style, and that's what I see for www.denisegoldberg.com/popular.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    You could just use the smug URLs and create links in your menu based on those URLs.

My site is set with Collage Landscape as the default style, and that's what I see for www.denisegoldberg.com/popular.

--- Denise
    Thank you Denise. That is certainly a sensible 'workaround'. I suppose that I am just old-fashioned and want to carry on doing things the old way!

James.
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    /popular is a default smugmug page. If you navigate to it, then click CUstomize Site, you can then click "Make this Page Custom" you can do whatever you want to it. No need to make your own popular page ... unless you're populating it yourself with images you want?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    leftquark wrote: »
    /popular is a default smugmug page. If you navigate to it, then click CUstomize Site, you can then click "Make this Page Custom" you can do whatever you want to it. No need to make your own popular page ... unless you're populating it yourself with images you want?
    Thank you for your response. This makes sense for the legacy site with which I am very familiar. However, I do not undestand how I can navigate to /popular in the new SmugMug. I saw a posting indicating that the only way to target 'popular' was by adding a 'Multiple Photos' block to a page. This is what I have done, as you will see from my first posting. With the new SM, Customize Site provides the option "Just This Page" - this differs from "Make this Page Custom" which you quote. Are you referring to the legacy site? I note that you have not yet unveiled either of your sites yet.
    I remain confused and would greatly value further clarification.
    Thank you in advance.
    James.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013

--- Denise
    Further thoughts Denise.
    With the new SmugMug, when using the smug URL /popular, I get the message: "page not found".
    My method of using a "Multiple Photos" block (pointing at Popular Photos) on a page within a gallery seems to be the only one that works for me. I trust that the Multiple Photos pointing options, which include Recent and Popular, are generated by the SmugMug system and are automatically updated as in legacy SM.

Does this make sense to you? I have not yet had the courage to unveil my new site!
    James.
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2013
    Any further thoughts Denise or anyone?
    With the new SmugMug, when using the smug URL /popular, I get the message: "page not found".
    My method of using a "Multiple Photos" block (pointing at Popular Photos) on a page within a gallery seems to be the only one that works for me. I trust that the Multiple Photos pointing options, which include Recent and Popular, are generated by the SmugMug system and are automatically updated as in legacy SM.
    I have now unveiled and cannot find a way for selecting all the popular photos to copy to a standard gallery for use in a slideshow.
    Using the organiser does not help.
  • Options
    Using this url - http://www.lyall-photos.net/popular - shows your popular photos for me.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Using this url - http://www.lyall-photos.net/popular - shows your popular photos for me.

--- Denise
    This is bizarre! The collection reached by your URL includes images from unlisted galleries which should not be shown.
    Via my menu, the correct popular shots are shown. There is obviously something seriously wrong with the new SM implementation. THIS IS VERY WORRYING!
  • Options
    This is bizarre! The collection reached by your URL includes images from unlisted galleries which should not be shown.
    Were you logged in when you used the URL? If you were you will see the unlisted photos.
    Make sure to check this page on a browser where you are not logged in.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Were you logged in when you used the URL? If you were you will see the unlisted photos.
    Make sure to check this page on a browser where you are not logged in.

--- Denise
    Wise Denise! You are quite right; when logged off, no unlisted images appear via the URL but, the system throws up the maximum number of 1000 images!!
    This is surely a bug.
    I created a page to show popular images using a "multiple photo" block - described in my previous postings.
    It is this page to which my menu points.
    Using the URL /popular, however, gives a totally different result.
    Help!!