Options

No purchase from Mobile Devices

Comments

• Options
    gryhndgryhnd Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2013
    Again this morning! "Why can't I see the order form?"

Not sure if it will help, but I'm going to open a ticket with the Hero's later today and point them over here.
  • Options
    nine22nine22 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2013
    What does everyone's web traffic look like? Just looked at mine... 40.46% of my traffic is from mobile... headscratch.gif wow...I wonder if thats why my sales have been down this year... I quickly browsed through thread, is there an official smugmug reponse?

E2VbGxb.jpg
    nine22.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2013
    As expected, a pretty stock and unhelpful response. Just about cements it for me then.
    I'm sorry but ordering is not possible via mobile devices. Your customers will need to use a computer to place their orders. As you can see in the thread it's something we are working on and hope to have implemented. We are listening and working hard on the backend to do what's best for our customers.
  • Options
    smilenjsmilenj Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2013
    Shocked as well
    Got a call from a parent asking if mobile shopping was possible. figured it was a no brainer. Absolutely stunned to find this thread. Embarrassed that I have to call back and say that it isn't possible.
    Joey Chandler
    San Francisco Portrait and Wedding Photographer
    If you are in the Bay Area, join us for the monthly SmugMug User Group
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2013
    Hero asked me if there was anything else they could do, I asked for an ETA. That was hours ago (initial reply answered in under 30'). See crickets in winter above...
  • Options
    zacHer0zacHer0 Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2013
    gryhnd wrote: »
    Hero asked me if there was anything else they could do, I asked for an ETA. That was hours ago (initial reply answered in under 30'). See crickets in winter above...

Pamela answered your followup question about an ETA 10 minutes after you sent it ne_nau.gif
    Zac Williams
    Support Hero
  • Options
    AdamNPAdamNP Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2013
    How about sharing the answer with all of us then.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2013
    AdamNP wrote: »
    How about sharing the answer with all of us then.

Adam,

The answer really hasn't changed. We do not have an update that we can share with you. I sincerely apologize, but really, there is nothing more I can tell you.

Michael
  • Options
    AdamNPAdamNP Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2013
    OK, I understand, but it really is quite embarassing. Mobile traffic is taking over the web, and the fact that a "new" product could be rolled out without purchasing support on mobile is just mind-blowing. It doesn't affect me that much, but it's really hard to believe.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 6, 2013
    I know this is very frustrating because it is for me too, and SmugMug. I haven't been able to allow our support heroes or Bonocore to answer this, but I will. We had to find a way to solve this and still respect patents of the companies on this topic that are enforcing them vigorously.

Here's an example: http://patents.com/us-6909889.html

We're working on a solution that we think will work because it's crucial for us to solve it, but respecting these patents has been exceptionally painful, and I'm sick about it.
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    Baldy wrote: »
    I know this is very frustrating because it is for me too, and SmugMug. I haven't been able to allow our support heroes or Bonocore to answer this, but I will. We had to find a way to solve this and still respect patents of the companies on this topic that are enforcing them vigorously.

We're working on a solution that we think will work because it's crucial for us to solve it, but respecting these patents has been exceptionally painful, and I'm sick about it.

What about respecting the patents by paying royalties for usage? Is it a possibility?
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    By the way - that patent is pure extortion. It's the same as if I patent something trivial as a process of crossing a pedestrian crosswalk:) Sorry, but that patent is a disgrace to real science.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2013
    rkw624 wrote: »
    If it wasn't for winter I would be hearing nothing but crickets!
    zacHer0 wrote: »
    Pamela answered your followup question about an ETA 10 minutes after you sent it ne_nau.gif

Thanks Zach. Never saw it. But I just went digging and found it shuffled off to a spam folder.

I retract my crickets :D
  • Options
    rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013

Off topic but is this the same type of issue as to why we can't offer I-phone cases to our customers? Just wondering. Thanks.
    Rich
  • Options
    chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    How about allowing site owners to disable the mobile site in the meantime until a solution is found? A customer viewing the full site on a phone would be able to make a purchase...
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited December 7, 2013
    chrismoore wrote: »
    How about allowing site owners to disable the mobile site in the meantime until a solution is found? A customer viewing the full site on a phone would be able to make a purchase...
    I believe all sites are full sites on mobile in new smug.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2013
    Off topic but is this the same type of issue as to why we can't offer I-phone cases to our customers? Just wondering. Thanks.

No.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    No.

My question was directed at Baldy. Not you Andy. Are you employed at SmugMug again? if so, I'll accept your answer.
    Rich
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2013
    My question was directed at Baldy. Not you Andy. Are you employed at SmugMug again? if so, I'll accept your answer.

Baldy can't answer every question on Dgrin, nor can SmugMug... this is a community forum, and I gave you a community answer (albeit with somewhat of an insider's perspective!). A phone case is a new 'product' that needs to be implemented (just like any new 'size' or other sku at Bay Photo... and has nothing to do with the post that Baldy made. Hope this helps! :D
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2013
    Thanks. Quite a bit.
    Rich
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2013
    mishenka wrote: »
    By the way - that patent is pure extortion. It's the same as if I patent something trivial as a process of crossing a pedestrian crosswalk:) Sorry, but that patent is a disgrace to real science.
    I'm sure that will hold up in court when SmugMug is sued for patent infringement...
  • Options
    nine22nine22 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    I have a buddy that has a site with one of smugmugs competitors... they allow purchases from mobile. (this response triggered from yet another email about not being able to purchase on mobile)
    nine22.smugmug.com
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2013

the transparency is appreciated, Baldy.

(does seem like the patent is intended for use of order prints taken from the phone (or a camera attached the phone - unlucky Sony!), not ordered at the website, but those pesky lawyers will no doubt twist things to incorporate other uses)
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    nine22 wrote: »
    I have a buddy that has a site with one of smugmugs competitors... they allow purchases from mobile. (this response triggered from yet another email about not being able to purchase on mobile)

I remain of the opinion that Smugmug as a company (after having ran into some nasty problems with patent trolls) is missing either decent lawyers and/or enough cash reserves to circumvent legal difficulties. Its been given as a reason for far too many absences in functionality. No javascript? Its a big security risk, and we don't want to be sued if something goes wrong. No anonymous comments on photos? We don't want to be sued if inappropriate comments get auto-emailed to people. Sharing anything more than the vaguest hand-waving about future plans? Can't because we might get sued if we don't meet the plans.

Its very frustrating, and seems to affect Smugmug's decision making and functionality far more than other companies.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 17, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I remain of the opinion that Smugmug as a company (after having ran into some nasty problems with patent trolls) is missing either decent lawyers and/or enough cash reserves to circumvent legal difficulties. Its been given as a reason for far too many absences in functionality. No javascript? Its a big security risk, and we don't want to be sued if something goes wrong. No anonymous comments on photos? We don't want to be sued if inappropriate comments get auto-emailed to people. Sharing anything more than the vaguest hand-waving about future plans? Can't because we might get sued if we don't meet the plans.

Its very frustrating, and seems to affect Smugmug's decision making and functionality far more than other companies.
    Hi Paul,

Yes, it does seem to affect us more than many other companies. My theory as to why is we're popular enough to be worth suing, but we never went out and raised the money that other VC-backed startups raised, or that the companies that went public raised. So the $4 million it takes to defend one of these and the possibility of a big settlement is material to us.

For example, last month we were sued by TLI communications for a patent that describes uploading an image from a telephone to a server. The suit names Apple, Google, facebook, twitter, Shutterfly, DropBox, Pinterest, Yahoo, etc......and SmugMug. But none of our competitors.

But that's not why we haven't implemented JavaScript. The worms that ran through sites like Myspace that had allowed JavaScript pretty much put an end to the practice everywhere.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2013
    Just to moan about this more, according to Google Analytics, 50% of my traffic is from mobile devices. To rub salt in it further, 70% of the bounce rate is from mobile. This is terrible, and costing me dearly.

Smug, at the very least, you need to put an option to have a message displayed at the top of mobile sites that purchasing must take place on via a PC.

In the meantime, does anyone know how to do this via customization so that a message is only displayed to mobile devices and otherwise doesn't clutter up the desktop experience?
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2013
    gryhnd wrote: »
    In the meantime, does anyone know how to do this via customization so that a message is only displayed to mobile devices and otherwise doesn't clutter up the desktop experience?

Totally do-able. Just post in the customization forum and ask.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2013
    Interesting article on stuff consumers don't really need anymore. Scroll down to #7. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-things-not-buy-2014-124030371.html
    Rich
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2014
    Interesting article on stuff consumers don't really need anymore. Scroll down to #7. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-things-not-buy-2014-124030371.html

Last month almost 50% of ESPN's internet traffic was from MOBILE Devices.. There has to be an answer soon for this, I would love to pull my site up on an ipad and show it to someone and they can order or my iphone..

Thanks
  • Options
    CrazyDaveCrazyDave Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 14, 2014
    Hi All, new to SmugMug and this forum and my first post has to be a moan.....:(

I contacted SmugMe re ordering from mobile devices - specifically iPad and iPhone as during my testing had been unable to get cropping of images to work.

Here in the UK something like 60% of Christmas online ordering was done with iPad. Thats a crazy figure but I guess at the last count something like 180 million of these things are out and about.

This is a real show stopper for me.... The service reply from SmugMug was that an 'App' was under development... I'm sorry but if it won't work in a browser the orders gone.......