Options

Gallery names cutoff in SmugMug Theme

southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
edited September 20, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
SmugMug theme

My legacy SmugMug theme allowed for long gallery names. It would wrap them to the next line under the gallery image. It then adjusted the spacing between rows of galleries. My naming conventions took this into account. The NEW SmugMug theme does not wrap the line. It simply cuts the line off with no way to see what it says. Thanks alot. I even have the names set up to be UNDER the image in the space between rows. I am requesting that these name lines be capable of wrapping under the image. If not, then I request that an quick to open info box to open when hovering over the name or box (if it is a single gallery with no galleries beneath it.

As it is, I have used text to describe the gallery with the event date at the END of the name. Now, many times, the date is cut off. Not very friendly for my clients and actually looks BAD.

Example here:

http://www.southeasternphotography.com/History/Hofwyl-Broadfield

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    The link you give is to legacy SM ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    The link you give is to legacy SM ne_nau.gif
    He hasn't unveiled yet so all you can see is legacy.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    Well then. We can't help, can we? lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    SmugMug theme

My legacy SmugMug theme allowed for long gallery names. It would wrap them to the next line under the gallery image. It then adjusted the spacing between rows of galleries. My naming conventions took this into account. The NEW SmugMug theme does not wrap the line. It simply cuts the line off with no way to see what it says. Thanks alot. I even have the names set up to be UNDER the image in the space between rows. I am requesting that these name lines be capable of wrapping under the image. If not, then I request that an quick to open info box to open when hovering over the name or box (if it is a single gallery with no galleries beneath it.

As it is, I have used text to describe the gallery with the event date at the END of the name. Now, many times, the date is cut off. Not very friendly for my clients and actually looks BAD.

Example here:

http://www.southeasternphotography.com/History/Hofwyl-Broadfield
    I removed the icon in front and reduced the text size and it helped some although
    real long ones still get cut off.
    .sm-tile-folder .sm-tile-type-icon:after, 
    .sm-tile-album .sm-tile-type-icon:after {
      display: none;
    }

/* titles on featured images in folders */
    .sm-tiles-grid ul li a p {
      font-size: 95%!important;
      padding-left: 0!important;
      padding-right: 0!important;
      color: gold!important;
    }

• Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    Thanks Allen for the real help. ANdy, I hope was being funny. Yes, the link was to legacy so you can see the wrapping text. Go try that in the New SmugMug. The way you can help is to get something done in the New SMugMug theme. Like, I said, I hope you were joking. Allen, I will look deeper in what you presented tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    @Allen - Thanks - that DID help alot...not perfect but much better. I have tried to add a "text-align: center" to your code so the text below the folders will center up; but can't get it to do anything. Can you help again?
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    @Allen - Thanks - that DID help alot...not perfect but much better. I have tried to add a "text-align: center" to your code so the text below the folders will center up; but can't get it to do anything. Can you help again?
    Right, left and center works but doesn't help the long ones. We need wrap.
    "all folders" CSS
    .sm-tiles-grid ul li a p {
      font-size: 95%!important;
      color: gold!important;
      [COLOR=Red]text-align:center;[/COLOR]
    }

• Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    Hey Allen - tried that in various places in your code. Didn't work. Just went back and tried again - no workee! Not from the top level down. :(
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    @ Allen. I mentioned this on the other thread where I saw your fix, but there are so many posts I thought I'd ask this question here.

I modified your code to work with my Collage Lanscape themed galleries. It works great! Thanks for posting this.

Here's what I used, the red is the bit I changed to affect Collage Landscape.
    /* titles on thumbs in folders */
    [COLOR="Red"].sm-tiles-row-organic[/COLOR] ul li a p {
      font-size: 100%!important;
      color: #f3f3b2!important;
      text-align:left;
      overflow: visible !important;
      white-space:normal !important;
      height: 41px !important;
    }

Now, I redesigned one of my pages, and created a vertical row on the far right (you'll see the girl in a loincloth at the top of the row) that uses the standard Vertical Layout. I've tried and tried to sort out the correct code to replace, or add to that red line above. No luck, and I'm about done in for the night. Would you happen to know what it would be?
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2013
    Hey Allen - tried that in various places in your code. Didn't work. Just went back and tried again - no workee! Not from the top level down. :(

You have to use the specific gallery style that code is aimed at. I can't tell if you are or not. Did you place it in your entire site's theme CSS? It's in the Theme>Advanced Tab.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    @ Allen. I mentioned this on the other thread where I saw your fix, but there are so many posts I thought I'd ask this question here.

I modified your code to work with my Collage Lanscape themed galleries. It works great! Thanks for posting this.

Here's what I used, the red is the bit I changed to affect Collage Landscape.
    [COLOR=Red].sm-tiles-row-organic[/COLOR] ul li a p {
    }

Now, I redesigned one of my pages, and created a vertical row on the far right (you'll see the girl in a loincloth at the top of the row) that uses the standard Vertical Layout. I've tried and tried to sort out the correct code to replace, or add to that red line above. No luck, and I'm about done in for the night. Would you happen to know what it would be?
    Can't get my right click menu so no way to inspect the element to find the classes.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    DOH! I forgot to turn it off. I just did for that gallery. Sorry about that.

I've tried .sm-tiles-vertical, .sm-tile-portrait, .sm-tiles-list, and a bunch of other ones. No dice so far.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    DOH! I forgot to turn it off. I just did for that gallery. Sorry about that.

I've tried .sm-tiles-vertical, .sm-tile-portrait, .sm-tiles-list, and a bunch of other ones. No dice so far.
    This seems to get it. Got everything up the line, probably don't need all of them.
    [COLOR=Red].sm-tiles-vertical .sm-tile-album .sm-tile .sm-tile-content .sm-tile-info .sm-tile-title,[/COLOR]
    .sm-tiles-row-organic ul li a p {
    }

Might try "auto" instead of "41px" height.

You could even add the widget number so it doesn't affect other pages.
    .sm-page-widget-2081362 .sm-tiles-ve.....
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    That did the trick! And thanks for the tip on using "auto." It looks much better over all.

I did notice something odd though. It doesn't bother me, just thought I'd point it out. This CSS trick causes any gallery description to fill up the "Recent Galleries" block if you set it to Collage Landscape.

i-JkLZnSH-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    That did the trick! And thanks for the tip on using "auto." It looks much better over all.

I did notice something odd though. It doesn't bother me, just thought I'd point it out. This CSS trick causes any gallery description to fill up the "Recent Galleries" block if you set it to Collage Landscape.

i-JkLZnSH-M.jpg
    Did you put in the specific widget number?
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2013
    Actually, I noticed before I made this recent change. When I had just the ".sm-tiles-row-organic." I didn't add the specific widget as I may format other galleries like this one, so I want it to work all across the board. The recent galleries block is on the tail end of my search page, so I'm not concerned about it. Others may notice it if they have it on their front page though.
  • Options
    starrynightstarrynight Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2013
    Yay! the code at the top worked for me and my gallery names now appear in a useable form. Thanks Allen! I'm still not sure how I finally got it to work, but I think 1) customize 2) homepage 3) theme 4) toolbar 5) advanced pasting in the code 6) naming theme 7) done 8) publish worked
    (still not unveiled).
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2013
    BUMP - Not Fixed
    BUMP - I still have the original problem in Preview. So, normal folks cannot see my problem. Is SmugMug going to help here? OR is the answer - and it should be stated or a warning given - that you are limited to the number of characters that will be presented. Legacy does not have this problem with the SmugMug Theme.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2013
    Showing Example - Legacy
    Here is how Legacy treated longer names:
  • Options
    Showing Example - New System
    Here is how the New system SmugMug Theme cuts off the names (and my dates!)
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    i checked Darter02 site ;http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1908883&postcount=10
    looks like " white-space:normal !important; " does the trick on the wrapping bit
  • Options
    guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    This seems to get it. Got everything up the line, probably don't need all of them.
    [COLOR=Red].sm-tiles-vertical .sm-tile-album .sm-tile .sm-tile-content .sm-tile-info .sm-tile-title,[/COLOR]
    .sm-tiles-row-organic ul li a p {
    }

Might try "auto" instead of "41px" height.

You could even add the widget number so it doesn't affect other pages.

Allen just came across this, thanks very much just added to my site & really like it. Hated those cut off titles.

Also used your bit of css to get rid of the icon so the text does not have to wrap around it & even made the text a bit bigger.

i-XMhLzBD-L.jpg