Lou

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited December 16, 2005 in People
I was lucky enough to have the use of a studio for a couple of hours last weekend. It was equipped with an "infinity cove" and an array of lights, but being a complete novice, I tried to keep things simple and just used 2 elinchrom 500 classics....still managed to make a lot of mistakes though!

Anyway, this is Little Lou who came a long for half an hour with his Mum to help me out :D

47513788-L.jpg

47512233-L-1.jpg

47512693-L.jpg

Any comments or advice would be welcomed :thumb
Thanks for looking

Comments

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    Great shots, Gubbs. I love that all white look. The boy really stands out. Nice work on the sepia tone close up.thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Thanks Snappy thumb.gif
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 13, 2005
    Great work Gubbs. They are all great, but I love the last one.

Man, I wish I had the room to setup a studio umph.gif

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • ShannonWShannonW Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    like them all but, Love the 3rd one! I like the B&W but it looks a little flat.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    i think that last one is incredible. well done!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    Fantastic shots. He's a great model.

A couple things that I think would improve:

The third has too much magenta in the skin, I would pull that back a touch, or add some yellow, or a little bit of both.

I think that the second could use a little steepening of the contrast in the face.

But the fact is, you captured his charm in well-exposed, well composed and very attractive shots. Very nice work.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2005
    I just wanted to add how impressed I am with the results you got, considering that you're a "complete novice".
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited December 14, 2005
    ShannonW wrote:
    like them all but, Love the 3rd one! I like the B&W but it looks a little flat.
    Thanks for commenting, I think your right about looking a little flat. The key light doesn't quite hit the front of his face. Two of the many problems I had were a) trying to keep the kids in the shooting zone and b)getting them to face the right way. They had a tendency to keep coming too far forwards and out of the lights. I'm not quite sure what happened with this one.

Thanks againthumb.gif
    edited December 14, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Fantastic shots. He's a great model.

A couple things that I think would improve:

The third has too much magenta in the skin, I would pull that back a touch, or add some yellow, or a little bit of both.

I think that the second could use a little steepening of the contrast in the face.

But the fact is, you captured his charm in well-exposed, well composed and very attractive shots. Very nice work.
    Thanks David, I didn't notice the skin tones, I had a little play and got better results but unfortunatley it was too late for the prints, I dropped them round to his Mum tonight

Thanks for all the other help and comments tooclap.gif
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    Very nice gubbsy.. I'm envious.. I'd love to find an all white setting like that. Well done little goat clap.gif
    edited December 16, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Very nice gubbsy.. I'm envious.. I'd love to find an all white setting like that. Well done little goat clap.gif
    Thanks Lynn, I spent ages looking for somewhere reasonable, ended up finding a place 2 miles down the road from work. More pix to come, if I get a chance to finish them all!