Options

WTB Canon 24-70L f/2.8

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited December 12, 2005 in Flea Market
im hoping somebody who has a "minty" 24-70 L is looking to get the 24-105 instead.....

troy

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    im hoping somebody who has a "minty" 24-70 L is looking to get the 24-105 instead.....

troy

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2005
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 12, 2005
    windoze wrote:

troy
    free bump

I'm hearing not so good things about the 24-105... and I'm in the same pickle, I want one of these two lenses.
    headscratch.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 12, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    free bump

I'm hearing not so good things about the 24-105... and I'm in the same pickle, I want one of these two lenses.
    headscratch.gif

Really? I love mine. I find the focal range really useful. And the performance on my 5D is darn good! What are you hearing that's bad? Trevor wants to know..

44280688-M.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 12, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Really? I love mine. I find the focal range really useful. And the performance on my 5D is darn good! What are you hearing that's bad? Trevor wants to know..
    Just that it could be sharper and vignetting is bad on the 5d.
    ne_nau.gif

I kinda won some money and want to get a really good lens. I don't want to make the same mistake I have in the past - a lens that on paper is better because of zoom range or IS or something like that. So for the price, I figured the 24-70 is tried and tested and well known as an excellen piece of glass.

I'm just going on reviews I've pulled off various websites.

(sorry for the hijack)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    My 24-70 is my all time favorite lens on 5D and 1DmII. It's a trade off: what do you want, that extra reach or the extra f-stops? Also the 24-70 isn't that bad a macro lens (you can check out the specs as well as I can.) I've used mine for portraits, landscapes, street, cityscapes, ski pictures. This is one zoom that is very close in sharpness to the primes. Oh, and pretty nice bokah, though the primes do win in this department. In fact, I rarely use my primes in this range unless I think I'm going to need the speed (or I just want a lighter, smaller kit.)

You might remember, Erik, that I used this lens at the Hoods Up night at the MFA. I don't remember whether I used a flash that night. I used without a flash one of the two times I went. I also used at the Cloisters and Museum of Modern Art. See: http://rutt.smugmug.com/Museums

In fact, I think about 50% of the images I've ever posted on dgrin have been with this lens and 30% with the 70-200mm f/2.8L. If you have these two lenses, you don't need anything else, especially on a full frame or 1.3x camera.
    If not now, when?