Colorizing old B/W photos

GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited December 11, 2005 in Finishing School
Found a link for some beta software to colorize B/W photos, and thought I would share. No I haven't downloaded and tried it, but it does look really cool and easy to use.

So, check out Recolored.com for some interesting software.

Oh, don't forget to checkout the Gallery of samples! Way COOL!!!

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    Guzzler wrote:
    Found a link for some beta software to colorize B/W photos, and thought I would share. No I haven't downloaded and tried it, but it does look really cool and easy to use.

So, check out Recolored.com for some interesting software.

Oh, don't forget to checkout the Gallery of samples! Way COOL!!!
    eek7.gif that. is freakin sweet. rolleyes1.gif
    :jawdrop
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    The sample images all look like colorized Turner movies.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    The sample images all look like colorized Turner movies.

If you were willing to cut masks for each area, then drop your colors on top of the image in Color mode, you'd get the same effect. Color mode never quite manages to get away from the image's grayscale roots, though, particularly in the shadow areas. Real shadows have more color in them, for one. For another, real objects don't maintain a single hue from highlights to shadows.

Gradient maps are far more effective, particularly for skin tones and hair. But, then, there's that pain of cutting a dozen different masks and sampling separate colors for each gradient. But if realism is the goal, nothing beats it.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski