Options

Be able to select which keywords to show in the keyword cloud content block

JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
edited August 29, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
I'd like to be able to select which keywords to show in the keyword cloud widget, including the options to start by showing all and removing some or starting with none and then adding some. Give me a counter of how many are selected for guidance. With this I'd have no problem keeping the 255 word limit for the cloud widget. Just allow me to choose which 255 (or fewer) and allow me to have more than one instantiation of the keyword cloud to cover different situations and different groups of words.

This does not replace the request that the /keyword page show all keywords. There needs a place somewhere where one can see all for reference. That's well-discussed elsewhere. See, for example http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237620. I agree we need this, but that's not the topic of this request.

The keyword cloud content block widget can and probably has to behave differently. I suspect the rotating cloud just won't work with more than 255 words. And even using the word list option, dealing with more than a few hundred words at a time can make the thing awkward to use as an index. At least for me, a big list can be more than I want to wade through to find the one keyword whose pictures I'm interested in. Allowing word selection, and perhaps having more than one instance of keyword widget available to deal with different types of keywords, can address both the cloud image and word list manageability issues.

To illustrate how I'd use this, I have keywords that divide into five general groups: plant families, plant genera, animals (a smaller and much less formal taxonomy than for plants), place names, and code-words for smart galleries. The first three are most valuable to me as indices for links to pictures and videos. The fourth is mainly there to provide hooks if someone is searching more generally. The smart galleries themselves provide all the connections that last group needs. So I would have three keyword widgets, each with a very manageable number of words. If I was after something specific, I could then choose which small group I wanted to search. That would be a whole lot better than one big search. And it would be much better than the current most-used 255 approach. In my case, those 255 include code-words and place names that I don't care much about and lops off some of the less common plant families and genera that I do.

Jim Ringland
jtringl.smugmug.com (still in legacy + sandbox mode)
Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    Jtring wrote: »

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com (still in legacy + sandbox mode)
    I got tired of waiting so created my own. It really didn't take that long if you're familiar with Excel. I
    copied out the /keyword page of keywords from legacy to get all of my current list, approx 800.

This is how each line turned out that I put in an HTML box.

<a href="/keyword/american+avocet">American Avocet</a> <span style="color: yellow;">•</span>

The yellow parts were added to columns. Pasted the copied keywords into another two columns.
    Search and replace in column (red) on spaces to replace the space with +
    Then used a formula to "&" the cell pieces together into one cell.
    +A1&B1&C1&D1&E1
    Copied this new column and pasted back as values to remove formulas.

Screen shot is previous version of how it came out, no limit now. You could have one of these for each general
    group. Just add HTML boxes on top of each other. You can see the default limited to 255 keyword cloud below it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    I got tired of waiting so created my own. It really didn't take that long if you're familiar with Excel ...

I saw your earlier posts on that. If need be, I may go that route. I'm just a little daunted by the maintenance as I add new families and genera. Both because of that and for visual consistency, I'd like to encourage the development of a native SM control.

But that raises a small add-on to my feature request. The selection of keywords needs to be easily edited. If, say, I add a new keyword corresponding to a new plant family, I just want to go into the appropriate keyword widget and add that one. I don't want to have to rebuild the list anew. (I.e., let's not repeat the situation we have now for selected entries in the Folders, Galleries & Pages content block where any update in the selection requires starting from scratch.)

Jim Ringland
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    Jtring wrote: »
    I saw your earlier posts on that. If need be, I may go that route. I'm just a little daunted by the maintenance as I add new families and genera. Both because of that and for visual consistency, I'd like to encourage the development of a native SM control.

But that raises a small add-on to my feature request. The selection of keywords needs to be easily edited. If, say, I add a new keyword corresponding to a new plant family, I just want to go into the appropriate keyword widget and add that one. I don't want to have to rebuild the list anew. (I.e., let's not repeat the situation we have now for selected entries in the Folders, Galleries & Pages content block where any update in the selection requires starting from scratch.)

Jim Ringland
    I keep the html in a text file and edit there which makes it fairly simple to edit adding/correcting
    keywords and links.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    +1 Might I add that the editable list would let me "blank out" all the keywords that are only numbers (came from SM parsing filenames for keywords before they added the feature to stop using filenames). With 20,000+ images, it is going to take a huge effort to get rid of those from all files where they appear. Using Allen's technique, I was able to easily get rid of them in the text/excel file.