Options

Newly added sidebar will not accept content

JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
edited August 26, 2013 in Bug Reporting
This is an issue that surfaced in the New SmugMug Customization form in the thread "How to put logo, menus on a left side bar" (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=239585). In the process of working through the OP's issue, we collectively found what looks like bug. We also found an easy work-around, but the behavior can trap the unwary. Sooner or later it should be fixed.

Here's the issue. Suppose I start with a fresh design that does not have any sidebars and then turn the LEFT SIDEBAR control to ON for the Entire Site. The left sidebar block appears as one would expect. But I cannot add anything to it. (And yes, I did check that the sidebar was on the Entire Site and I was editing the Entire Site.) If I then publish and return to customize the Entire Site, all works. Now I can drag content blocks into that left side bar.

So the work-around sequence is easy: Add sidebar, publish, come back to customization, and now fill the sidebar. But that publish-and-reenter sequence shouldn't be necessary and is bound to trip folks up.

Jim Ringland
Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    Jtring wrote: »
    So the work-around sequence is easy: Add sidebar, publish, come back to customization, and now fill the sidebar. But that publish-and-reenter sequence shouldn't be necessary and is bound to trip folks up.

Yes, a well known bug and solution i mentioned in some other thread weeks ago. The only difference is that the sidebar appeared on top of the center content and you need to publish/customize to get it on the left/right side of the center content.

You do not really need to "publish"... simply select "Homepage" and go back to "Entire site" also works. The Layout just needs to be updated which can be done by switch to some other level from the navigation menu in your sidebar and then go back.
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    Yes, a well known bug and solution i mentioned in some other thread weeks ago.

Thanks. I found it: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237929
    Wonder how many times this bug is going to be independently complained about and solved before it gets swatted. -- Jim Ringland
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com