Options

[Fixed] Smart Galleries won't show Password Protected photos

ceasleyceasley Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
edited August 31, 2013 in Bug Reporting
Something has drastically changed. I always upload all my photos into galleries that are in a password protected folder. Then I share just the images I want in public galleries via smart galleries being sure that the option "Include my unlisted/password protected galleries" is clicked to YES. That was working fine and I unveiled a couple weeks ago. I haven't looked at my site for several days in an logged out browser, but today I did and I found that NONE of my photos were showing in those smart galleries. NONE - my site had absolutely NO CONTENT.

This is a major problem. The software is obviously not following the rules selected in the settings for smart galleries. In a panic I un-password protected all my folders just to get stuff to show up, but that is not how I expected this to work and I don't think it is how it's supposed to work because it was working fine when I was setting things up. This will be a deal breaker for me if Smug doesn't get that feature working again. I don't want people poking around in my private galleries and I don't want to have to upload photos multiple times to get them to show up in public galleries.

I even tried putting everything inside another top level folder. Put a password on that but not on any of the contents - photos still will not show up in Smart Galleries.
Colleen Easley

Visit my website

Photography is my vehicle for discovery!

Comments

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    Hi Ceasley,

I submitted this over to the developers to take a look at. I will keep you posted in the morning when I hear back from them.

I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    I had this same type of issue and e-mailed help desk, I posted there reply here in another thread
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Here is the reply I got:
    Photos from unlisted and or password protected galleries should be showing in smart or collected galleries and visitors should be able to see them. If the original gallery is private then only you would be able to see the photos when logged in. Currently it is not working like this and we are sorry for the issues. We are looking to get this fixed as soon as we can so it functions like you would expect it to.

So if you have smart galleries or collected galleries drawing from password protected galleries, log out and check your site. It may be empty as mine was.

Colleen
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

• Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Hi Colleen,

Yup! Look for a fix for this soon :) I will come back and notify you when it's ready.
  • Options
    lyndesslyndess Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 26, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Yup! Look for a fix for this soon :) I will come back and notify you when it's ready.

Just curious -- is there an estimate for when the fix will be implemented? (Within a week or so? Within a month? Within in the next few months?)

Just trying to decide if I should wait out the resolution of this issue, or implement a workaround.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    lyndess wrote: »
    Just curious -- is there an estimate for when the fix will be implemented? (Within a week or so? Within a month? Within in the next few months?)

Just trying to decide if I should wait out the resolution of this issue, or implement a workaround.

Thanks!

I don't have a set day, but this is being worked on as we speak.
  • Options
    lyndesslyndess Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 30, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    I don't have a set day, but this is being worked on as we speak.

I wouldn't expect a set day... But can you provide some idea of the timeframe -- days, weeks, months?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    This should now be fixed. Please let me know if you see otherwise.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Thank you - it appears to be working fine for me. And it looks like they also removed the link back to original gallery when in SmugMug or Gallery view - that's awesome! But one more thing that should go away is the option to SHARE via Email, because when you click that, you get a message "Sorry, that image doesn't seem to be shareable." Which would make sense since it's a password protected photo. And also, the photo info button doesn't bring up any info, so if that's not going to work, why not just remove the info icon? Also, why does the tool wrench show up at all when we're not logged in? It doesn't do anything - just confusing for people who try to click on it.
    Colleen Easley

Visit my website

• Options
    edited August 31, 2013
    Thanks Colleen! These are all identified issues.