Options

OK Hackbone... same bat time, same bat channel...

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited August 30, 2013 in People
but this time I added some fill from a large 48" octobox.

jen%20orange-1-X2.jpg

jen%20orange-2-X2.jpg

jen%20orange-3-X2.jpg

And just for reference, this was from my previous post where I used no fill flash:

jen%20-%20morning%20reg-4-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    You tell me, wanna ya thunk? You should teach your fill flash. (I think it's better than mine!!) I know folks here might think I'm somewhat mean or possibly elite due to CC. But sooooooooo many folks are very happy with your first quick try.........now look at these folks.........do you see a professional difference......if not take off those dark rose colored glasses. Lets slow up when we click the shutter, look at the back of your camera and evaluate it and make corrections. You don't or shouldn't take hundreds of clicks to get a few outstanding ones. Slow up and look. Learn what makes an outstanding portrait.

Learn how to slim the body and the different facial angles.... what angle light do I use with those body angles... study how to make an object appear 3d on a two dimensional plane using light....what type/color of clothing should I suggest to wear.....does my camera angle and lens choice effect the end result.....should I plop the subject down anywhere and start clicking, if not why.......etc, etc, etc, etc, etc!!!!!!

Well, where can I go to learn all this (don't say to yourself "I don't need this everyone says my work is great", yeah, sure.) Try your local camera store for programs, do a google for your State Professional Association, they are always holding classes and will let you come to a few meetings at no charge. Take a SMALL SEMINAR. I hate the ones where there are hundreds of photographers. Look for the 10 to 12 photographers per class and at least two days. Sure it is gonna cost you but do you want to learn or not. You will learn more sitting at night in the hotel longue after class than all day at one of those very large seminars. There are classes and some great DVD's, PM me if interested and I'll get you a list.

Rember, think before clicking, click once and evaluate.

Alex, these are outstanding!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    Check out some of these talented folks.....there are many others also.

www.boxseniors.com
    www.kvphoto.com
    www.colleenandco.com
    www.petersphotographycom
    www.warnephotography.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    I honestly can't say I think one looks "more professional" than the other. I think the 2nd set are a more polished and harmonious whole, but I don't think only the lighting is at work.

Set #2 starts out better even before we talk about lighting because that orange is such a great colour for her, and tones with the warm light; the grey is already fighting color temps a little bit. She's posing better and seems more engaged in set #2. You're getting different modeling light/shadows in #2 not only from the light (obviously from that!) but also because she's got bare arms vs covered.

I will say I hugely prefer the catchlights in set 1 - the obvious "studio light" of the octobox really looks weird to me among the natural light. I'm a complex catchlights freak though, so that may just be a personal thing.

Interesting discussion.

PS In set two #2 & 3 that light block on her arm is bugging the crap out of me. Clone it out, maybe? (because really it's all about what **I** like, yanno? That's what matters. nod.gifrolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    And Hackbone, I absolutely agree with your assessment on growth and learning - don't take my comments above to disagree with that at all, because you are soooo right!
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Thanks for the links and info Hack. And thanks for the compliment on the use of fill light. It truly does add a spark to outdoor photos when done well.

Diva... I also like natural catchlights better. Now if I can figure out a way do get them with flash, that would be awesome.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Webnar creativelive
    creativelive.com is having a rebroadcat of Ben Willmore a crazy photoshop guru shortcuts in photoshop. Very informative. Might be rebroadcast later.