Options

10 hrs later

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited September 13, 2013 in People
Wanted to do a poster for the cheer squad. Most done separately then cut out and pasted. Just about 10 hrs later.

i-pkxChB3-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2013
    Looks good, except the giant in the D seems out of place.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    I hate to say it but I am not a fan. Sized of the kids varies greatly. Like Cuong said the person in the D seems out of place. Some of the placements on the letters seems awkward. The absense of shadows makes it look really fake to me. Also the color of the letters seems off. They dont all seem to be the same color and I think it needs to be a deeper red to match their uniforms. As a good thing though all the exposures on the kids look great!
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Agree with some of your comments. Added a texture to the letters that really played with the colors. This type of production is not my cup of tea so it really is lacking in some respects. Sure wish I was much more of a graphic artist. It was really intended as more of a type of fantasy shot.
  • Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Agree with some of your comments. Added a texture to the letters that really played with the colors. This type of production is not my cup of tea so it really is lacking in some respects. Sure wish I was much more of a graphic artist. It was really intended as more of a type of fantasy shot.

hey, looks great to me. The parent of the girl in the d isn't gonna notice the difference. Cool job!
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Hmm. I like the cutouts of the kids, except for the one in the D as previously noted. I don't think something like this has to look real, as if you took this picture in one shot, so the lack of shadows doesn't bother me. But the whole thing is only half-baked. I really don't care for the color of the letters or the background. The Times-New-Roman-like font is boring. There is a font in Photoshop that looks like high school letterman jacket letters, but I don't have access to it right now. Also the text needs more pizazz. Play with Stroke, Emboss, and Drop Shadow on the text. I'd like the bg to be pure white, and those red and blue borders to be meatier. I'd also like any red or blue text or graphics to be pure red or pure blue. Here is an example of a poster I recently did with stroke, emboss, and drop shadow on the text. Just some thoughts!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    ^ What Jack said. I think the concept is great and you're 80% of the way there, but his suggestions will really make it pop. I can only imagine the work that went into this - that is a HUGE job!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2013
    Another one of the local football team, theirs does not have the logo in the middle. Made them a 2'x6' vinyl banner. Great advertising for $18.00. They tie it to the main gate of the stadium and everyone sees it. No shirts was their idea, not mine.

i-QD8rjvL-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    Is the background the actual field at their school? I think they look great and the poster looks awesome, but the background looks horrible to be honest. The lights arent working for me. Did you try and paint a small soft brush on the actual light to make them look like they are on?
  • Options
    It is their field and I lost the file that had the lights lit. I worked on those lights and then had so many files saved I grabbed the wrong one. I really do have to slow up at times. I was actually quite proud that I figured out how to stream the light glow. I'm not a photoshop guru.
  • Options
    Overall very good and gets the job done well. It will surely give visiting teams pause. I'm fine with the lights. HS Football under the lights is a tradition, so I like the reference. The whole thing is obviously an artistic composite, so I think the simulated lights work.

But again - Times New Roman = booooring. These days I'm digging blairmditc with a hard chisel emboss, a meaty stroke and a drop shadow.

Is mustard one of their school colors? If not I might have gone for something brighter.

I like the photos of the players. Do I see 3 group shots? Or a bunch of individuals?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    On the font folks only look at an image for a brief time so you have to make it readable quickly and Times New Roman is the winner established by advertisers. Something more exciting is nice but I get bored quickly when scanning articles. Might by my ADD kicking in.

There are three shots here, seniors, defense and offense and color sampled from the helmets

Keep cc'ing as it keeps me on my toes.
  • Options
    I'm tellin ya, ya gotta check out blairmditc. I think it's just as readable and not so generic. The kid's name on this is that font. If you must use times new roman, I think it would be better with a white stroke and an emboss so it doesn't look so flat.

Is that $18 for the vinyl banner with your image printed on it? If so that's a steal. Online or local? I think I need to do this.
    -Jack