Options

Youth Soccer

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited September 24, 2013 in Sports
Soccer season has begun here in New England...

5D3 + 300/2.8IS:

1 (heavy crop)
cake1-X3.jpg

cake2-X3.jpg

cake3-X3.jpg

4 - this sideline ref insisted on hanging around in front of me, no matter where I was... grrr...
cake4-X3.jpg

cake5-X3.jpg

cake6-X3.jpg

7 (heavy crop)
cake7-X3.jpg
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
  • Options
    megmacmegmac Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Those are very nice, I use the 300 2.8 on a 1DX, sometimes with a 1.4 TC. Its an awesome combo. Our High School season starts next week, cant wait to get out there and shoot before the sunset time slips away. Unfortunately High School games are usually late in the day sometimes just before dusk so you get an 1/2 hour to get some really nice back lite shots.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Thanks. This was U12. I shot a little bit of a U14 game after this one, just of one friend's son who was playing center fullback, and I added the 1.4xTC for the bigger field. I'd love to see some of your evening back-lit shots, I haven't had the opportunity to shoot soccer at that time.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    megmacmegmac Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Thanks. This was U12. I shot a little bit of a U14 game after this one, just of one friend's son who was playing center fullback, and I added the 1.4xTC for the bigger field. I'd love to see some of your evening back-lit shots, I haven't had the opportunity to shoot soccer at that time.

Sure, check here http://megmac.smugmug.com/Sports/Boys-Soccer
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    a few more from labor day weekend
    5D3_8608-X2.jpg

5D3_8587-X2.jpg

5D3_8588-X2.jpg

5D3_8619-X2.jpg

5D3_8423-X2.jpg

5D3_8457-X2.jpg

5D3_8488-X2.jpg

15 - I love when Rembrandt light just happens.
    5D3_8447-X2.jpg

16 - ROAR!
    5D3_8523-X2.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    I give up. I was going to pick a fave, but couldn't! clap.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    Soccer season has begun here in New England...

I love the shots. Not crazy about some of the crops though.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    Icebear wrote: »
    I give up. I was going to pick a fave, but couldn't! clap.gif
    Thanks! :D
    I love the shots. Not crazy about some of the crops though.

Oh?
    -Jack

• Options
    edited September 3, 2013
    Yep, the primarily centered subjects and "slivers" of people on the edges really take away from the images in my opinion. To each their own, but I try to follow the edicts of the top sports shooters by trying to remove distractions in the frame and try to follow rule of thirds as a general principle.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    I agree on 8 and 14 and I've fixed them, thanks. For the rest I'm fine with the centering.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    I agree on 8 and 14 and I've fixed them, thanks. For the rest I'm fine with the centering.

Yep, much stronger. In fact, the one with the girl goalie, I'd probably have cropped vertically. It's such a strong image with just her...

You don't think #7 would be stronger without the "half coaches" in the background? Though if you are trying to stay to the frame shape you have, that might not work out.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Yep, much stronger. In fact, the one with the girl goalie, I'd probably have cropped vertically. It's such a strong image with just her...

Yeah I could go either way. I like the opposing player on the left to show the oncoming threat of the offense. I think it helps show that the shot was taken during an actual game.
    You don't think #7 would be stronger without the "half coaches" in the background? Though if you are trying to stay to the frame shape you have, that might not work out.

It would be stronger cropped more than this. For now it's 3:2. Many of these I've left at 3:2 so parents can order 4x6s... which is a whole nother conversation already dragging out in the MYOB forum. :D
    -Jack

• Options
    edited September 23, 2013
    Here's a new batch... most I've left at 3:2 for sales.

17 - blatant elbow
    5D3_9215-X3.jpg

18 - air time
    5D3_9201-X3.jpg

19 - head up
    5D3_9180-X3.jpg

20 - do not mess with this goalie! :) my daughter.
    5D3_9128-X3.jpg

21 - I think shots of players' backs almost never work, but I think this is an exception because it's a nice pose and the number is visible, along with the effort she went to with the hair ribbon. The mom bought a print, so I guess she agrees.
    5D3_9137-X3.jpg

22 - The father of the girl with the ball is the coach in the bg, so I'm glad I got this one.
    5D3_9116-X3.jpg

and the boys...

23 - light on his feet
    5D3_9279-X3.jpg

24 - I am guilty of favoring the offense in pictures, so I'm glad I got this classic pose of this defender. Not that you would know he is a defender, but his Dad liked it!
    5D3_9274-X3.jpg

25 - another defender I don't have many shots of
    5D3_9256-X3.jpg

26 - not sure why he was airborne like this. heavy crop.
    5D3_9244-X3.jpg

27 - my son (also in 2,3,4)
    5D3_9239-X3.jpg
    -Jack

• Options
    divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    Very nice shots. I always enjoy the facial expressions of the younger kids in sports. You can tell just how hard they are concentrating to do well and these capture that perfectly.
    Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, 430EXII

Tom
  • Options
    Thanks Tom!
    -Jack

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2013
    Pretty good considering the tough, distracting backgrounds you have to deal with. I try to shoot most youth soccer at these ages from behind the goal at f2.8 and then use the length of the field to help blow out any distractions. Tough to avoid the background like in 26.
  • Options
    Yeah I wouldn't have even been shooting in the vicinity of 26 but I don't have many shots of that kid, so I went for it. Behind the goal line is best of course, but I was feeling a bit more like socializing on the sideline last weekend! :) These are mostly 300/2.8 and a few are 420/4, on my 5D3.
    -Jack

• Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    As always, great photos! I hope you make a lot of sales!
  • Options
    photodad1 wrote: »
    As always, great photos! I hope you make a lot of sales!

Thanks! Just got an order for a 20x30" of #10, with his name and the team logo on it. I think there is something to this business model of putting commemorative graphics on images!! (duh!) Also sold some others.
    -Jack