Options

size of content block

gbeargbear Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited August 30, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Does anybody know how to control the SIZE of a content block ? I have a slideshow on my first page but cannot figure how to make the content block used by the slideshow larger.

Thanks bill wilson http://billwilson.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    gbear wrote: »
    Does anybody know how to control the SIZE of a content block ? I have a slideshow on my first page but cannot figure how to make the content block used by the slideshow larger.

Quite sure this is not possible. Some components have controls to set margin and % container width (click on the triangular "square" at top left).

I think the reason primary content can not be re-sized is because SmugMug sizes things dynamically for the device being used to view your site (iPad, laptop, large monitor, etc.).
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    gbeargbear Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Bruce - that is certainly consistent with my experience = I am not sure it is right, tho, because 2 of the sample themes (turbo is one of them) have a screen filling image in them. I am pretty sure this image goes in a content block ? ? ? If so that particular content block must be full screen, no ?

If I could figure out how to set up a second site as an experiment I would try one based on turbo to see if the full page image could be a slideshow. It took me so much effort to get my site to work at all (I am limited to what Smugmug tools can do) that I am unwilling to make the change to turbo because I might spend a week trying to get back !

Maybe I can do a temporary tryout site - I don't know if this is possible if you already have a paid site. Thanks again bill w http://bill-wilson.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    gbear wrote: »
    Bruce - that is certainly consistent with my experience = I am not sure it is right, tho, because 2 of the sample themes (turbo is one of them) have a screen filling image in them. I am pretty sure this image goes in a content block ? ? ? If so that particular content block must be full screen, no ?

If I could figure out how to set up a second site as an experiment I would try one based on turbo to see if the full page image could be a slideshow. It took me so much effort to get my site to work at all (I am limited to what Smugmug tools can do) that I am unwilling to make the change to turbo because I might spend a week trying to get back !

Maybe I can do a temporary tryout site - I don't know if this is possible if you already have a paid site. Thanks again bill w http://bill-wilson.smugmug.com/

I think the full screen images you have seen in other templates are "Theme" background images (you could look at the Theme you have been using and try designating a background image for it. (That is how I did it on this page: brucejordan.smugmug.com/Soccer ). In my case, I created a Theme that was only used on one Page.

That field will not allow you to create a slideshow, but you can try out different templates (and use different themes) without disrupting your established site (just don't "Publish" the changes. You can have several modified templates without changing the one that is active for your site.

There are some clever CSS coders on this forum who have created large slideshows. One is full-screen, but it will rotate through a series of pre-determined images (you can't point it to a gallery, you give it individual links). Do a search for full screen slideshow (ignore results older than New Smugmug). (I would find the thread for you, but m on a tablet, so browser isn't the easiest to read).
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley