Options

I want my site to be exactly like another ... is there a quick way?

radhakradhak Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited September 2, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
After sitting on my butt for almost a year, I now want to customize my smugmug site to look in a certain way.

And I'm happy to report that I have seen a site that appears to everything that I want my site to be like. I don't any changes at all to it - just an exact ditto.

That site is this : http://bigwebguy.smugmug.com/
(kudos to the Shepherd family for that site; I can't figure out who's the photographer though...)

So, what's the quickest way I could make my site somewhat like this site? Or is it not that simple?

Comments

• Options
    gbeargbear Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    I hate to sound any dumber than I am - but, that said - does the site have a "contact" ? - if so, maybe you could ask how they set it up. . . many people would be pleased by the attitude - " that's a great site - how can I make mine like that ?"

Thanks for reading. Bill Wilson (gbear) http://bill-wilson.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    radhakradhak Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    That'd be a good idea - except that the 'contact' linke (to email the owner) doesn't work there!

I'm a DIY-er of sorts, so want to believe I should be able to do this, if I can get some direction on what to look for.
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    use Firefox developer addon
    with that you can inspect and test any web site
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    Before focusing on the "another site", ask the same question about your own.

Suppose you want a copy of your site from last week to be restored.

In the old Smugmug, you could email snapshots of all the code to yourself, and fairly quickly restore them from that backup copy.

It would appear in the new site that there's no similar mechanism. If you screw up and publish, then want to go back, there's no apparent mechanism to do so.

That's roughly the equivalent of asking if you can copy one site to another.

I would really love to have a backup before undertaking significant changes.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    it is just as easy to copy the content of entire CSS block to a text-file ( notepad )
    besides that , backups are automatically made in the form of "copy of the name of your theme "

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=239541
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    basflt wrote: »
    it is just as easy to copy the content of entire CSS block to a text-file ( notepad )
    besides that , backups are automatically made in the form of "copy of the name of your theme "

Is that really true? I have HTML and CSS scattered everywhere, pages are all different, CSS is not all in one place (nor is it all in the theme). Just FINDING all the pieces over time becomes difficult.

And I'd say only 10% of my relatively minor customizations are in the theme.
  • Options
    printergirlprintergirl Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    Sorry, off topic, but Bas your macro shots are AMAZING!!!!

Why don't you have them "right click" protected, though? I wouldn't want anyone downloading them if I did that kind of work! ;)

Good stuff. thumb.gif
    ~ Nora

WebsiteBlogFacebookTwitter
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator
    edited September 2, 2013
    Why don't you have them "right click" protected, though? I wouldn't want anyone downloading them if I did that kind of work!
    Keep in mind that right click protection is not protection; it is easily bypassed.

I'd love to see that feature renamed to "right click warning".

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    Ferguson wrote: »
    Is that really true? I have HTML and CSS scattered everywhere, pages are all different, CSS is not all in one place (nor is it all in the theme). Just FINDING all the pieces over time becomes difficult.

And I'd say only 10% of my relatively minor customizations are in the theme.

ok understood

but original topic was : how do i copy Shepherds site without contacting him
    the web developer tool kit is the easiest way
    it even saves the codes to a text file
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    Sorry, off topic, but Bas your macro shots are AMAZING!!!!

Why don't you have them "right click" protected, though? I wouldn't want anyone downloading them if I did that kind of work! ;)

Good stuff. thumb.gif
    thanks

1 > right-click protection alone is completely useless
    you have to do a lot more then that to protect your work
    i can blindly copy all your photo's !

2 > i am not a professional
    i do this for fun , so not much use in protecting
    he who copies my pics and claim them as their own is an idiot IMO
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013

ok understood

but original topic was : how do i copy Shepherds site without contacting him
    the web developer tool kit is the easiest way
    it even saves the codes to a text file

Agreed. Though to be fair, while imitation is a form of flattery, some people don't appreciate it. The OP might consider asking first.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2013
    perhaps
    but its not the photos he want to copy
    just the layout

and IMO its not too special
    left side menu on main page
    standard landscape for the rest