Timothy O'Sullivan: The American West

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
edited September 3, 2013 in The Big Picture
Photography of the American West by Timothy O'Sullivan. As you read the article and enjoy these fine sepia photographs, be sure to check out the links within the article. Some are photographs of the sites as they are today.
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2013
    My biggest dream is to see what the land looked like before major settlement. Also to have a Nikon DSLR would be really cool too.
    Really cool shots
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited September 1, 2013
    I took a motorcycle trip that included a good chunk of the west. Including part of Lewis & Clark's expedition. I've also traveled on parts of the Donner Party's path. Like you, each time; I've wondered what it must have been like. I mean it takes very little time for me to cover what it took early explorers days or weeks to travel. I have comfortable accommodation and supply-none of what they experienced. The contrast is amazing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    I took a motorcycle trip that included a good chunk of the west. Including part of Lewis & Clark's expedition. I've also traveled on parts of the Donner Party's path. Like you, each time; I've wondered what it must have been like. I mean it takes very little time for me to cover what it took early explorers days or weeks to travel. I have comfortable accommodation and supply-none of what they experienced. The contrast is amazing.
    So much we take for granted, we have to worry if the next exit on the interstate will have a Starbucks.
    But if lived back then I would be dead already due to my Gall Bladder that tried to kill me. Thank you god for Modern medicine
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    Really enjoyable series - thanks for posting Ian.
    I have just seen a mini-series film about the life, times, and misadventures of
    G. A. Custer - many of the images are contemporary with his life, and so all the more interesting to me.
    I love the "Picture Boat" crew at Diamond Creek image - apparently getting a good "pose" has been challenging for a long time.
    Eric ~ Smugmug