Options

Sitemaps?

DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
edited September 20, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
My entire site has changed since I last submitted a sitemap. How can I give one to google? I've checked that it isn't at mydomain.com/sitemap.xml

Comments

• Options
    DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    Okay, I believe I've found the sitemap. Well, two of them. I believe they are:

/sitemap-base.xml.gz

and

/sitemap-galleryimages-0.xml.gz

The second one may have more than one, meaning there may be "/sitemap-galleryimages-0.xml.gz", "/sitemap-galleryimages-1.xml.gz", "/sitemap-galleryimages-2.xml.gz", etc depending on how many images you have.
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2013
    Would you please share what this means? I currently have a sitemap, but I hand-coded it with HTML. Now that there is a new Smugmug format, I was hoping a sitemap would be an option. I think I'm not finding it. I can't tell from your links what you've got here or how to work with it. Thanks mukch.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Would you please share what this means? I currently have a sitemap, but I hand-coded it with HTML. Now that there is a new Smugmug format, I was hoping a sitemap would be an option. I think I'm not finding it. I can't tell from your links what you've got here or how to work with it. Thanks mukch.

SM has always had a sitemap. You can view it by typing in your site and then '/sitemap-base.xml' and also the images '/sitemap-galleryimages.xml'.
  • Options
    Hmm, as you can see I'm beyond clueless. I see the contents with URLs and code - thank you for that - but it is filled with keywords as well as galleries - and it's not in any format that I could set up a page for viewers to use (I think?).
    This is what I'm thinking of when I think of sitemap: http://www.joinrats.com/gallery/8004335_ppoPx

Thanks,
  • Options
    The SM sitemap isn't for viewers, it's for search engines. If you want a sitemap for viewers, you'll have to create one by hand...like you've done.
  • Options
    Thanks, I don't know whether I should be relieved that I haven't done all this work all this time for no good reason, or extremely disappointed that the new site structure doesn't offer a sitemap functionality.... Well, maybe both.
  • Options
    I used to create one just like you did on my other non-SM sites. Then I switched to a Wordpress framework and I decided it was too much work to maintain a sitemap for viewers. Besides, I figured that a sitemap is really for search engines and not people. Since you already created it, I wouldn't delete it.
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2013
    I used to create an "Index" page for visitors to quickly jump around my old legacy site. I coded it in HTML manually, which meant tedious work indeed!

Here's a screenshot from early in my designing my new site. The legacy is on the left.

i-xrP8xJQ-L.jpg

I eventually decided to NOT create one, but I did discover via these forums a very handy tool that generates the HTML of ALL your galleries for you!

Check out SmugRoom Tools Gallery List. Once you generate the list right click the screen and "View Source." (I use Chrome as my browser for this. You'll have to do the equivalent in your browser.) When do do that you'll get all the HTML formatted lists to make a "visitor site map," aka: "index." If I do another Index page, I'll be using this for sure. I wish I had known about for the past couple of years...
  • Options
    Check out SmugRoom Tools Gallery List. Once you generate the list right click the screen and "View Source." (I use Chrome as my browser for this. You'll have to do the equivalent in your browser.) When do do that you'll get all the HTML formatted lists to make a "visitor site map," aka: "index." If I do another Index page, I'll be using this for sure. I wish I had known about for the past couple of years...

Yes, thanks, I do use that tool - it is invaluable. However, as I recall, it doesn't provide the columns necessary, or other formatting, needed on a sitemap page. Or remove private or unlisted pages. I recently got dreamweaver - maybe I'll see if that will help with the tweaking. For sites that are information-oriented, a sitemap is critical, I think.

Now, back to the main purpose of this thread originally, I see the google sitemap tool but have never used it. Where does one "submit the sitemap" to Google? Thanks.
  • Options
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Yes, thanks, I do use that tool - it is invaluable. However, as I recall, it doesn't provide the columns necessary, or other formatting, needed on a sitemap page. Or remove private or unlisted pages. I recently got dreamweaver - maybe I'll see if that will help with the tweaking. For sites that are information-oriented, a sitemap is critical, I think.

Now, back to the main purpose of this thread originally, I see the google sitemap tool but have never used it. Where does one "submit the sitemap" to Google? Thanks.

Webmaster Tools > Sitemaps > Add Sitemap