Options

Harris Hawk low approach

LarryDLarryD Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
edited September 29, 2013 in Wildlife
I was at a Falconer demonstration at Dunrobin Castle, Scotland.. The handler ran behind me and called the bird to wow the crowd with a low fly-by...

9646472620_963ef1355d_b.jpg
Harris Hawk, Low Approach by LarryD Imagery, on Flickr

9646468356_c2a1e65ac5_b.jpg
Tail Feathers by LarryD Imagery, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2013
    You picked the right place to stand!

Very nice.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 4, 2013
    Wow, is right. Funny, most folks are looking the wrong way and missing it. Great job nailing the focus here, that's not easy to do. That bird could easily be doing 30 MPH here.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2013
    Thanks... I'm glad that I had set the camera up ahead of time to just aim and shoot.. It is amazing how many people are looking at the handler or ducking out of the way and miss the bird completely until he's there..

He was moving fast, easily 30mph or more.. At 10 frames per second I only managed to get off 6 frames and the last 2 were tailfeathers and blue skies..

I did hang around for some more pictures of the demonstration..

In this one the Falconer is in the lower right of the frame (with the hat on) and the Hawk is coming in to the glove..

9646492322_ed68c5b477_b.jpg
    Harris Hawk 2 by LarryD Imagery, on Flickr
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 5, 2013
    Pretty awesome. I don't know if you know this, but when I live in AZ, I used to hang out with a group of hawkers as kind of an unofficial photographer. http://www.desertilluminations.com/Animals/Hawkers/14741265_jRPLxC#!i=1098493631&k=BTnzKKs
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2013
    What a fabulous shot! Great job! Best, Pam
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2013
    We're supposed to give constructive criticism? How can we if the shot is already perfect? Congrats on the superb catches of not only the hawk, but also the spectators!
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2013
    Thanks for the comments.. I don't have a lot of birds here in the Desert and it is nice to be able to justice to some on occasion. :):