Options

5D mk III and microAF adjustment - AI servo only???

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited September 2, 2013 in Cameras
I just got my camera back from a 'clean and check' at Canon. Had a few stubborn dust spots that I just couldn't get rid of. They also updated the firmware for me.

I took the camera and 70-200/4 IS to the beach yesterday and figured I would test out a few different AF microadjustments in the real world to see if I still needed a +3 on the tele end. Tried out 0, +3 and +5 in the field.

At home, I realized I hadn't installed the Canon ImageBrowser so couldn't see the settings. Did that but only found AF microadjustment showing when AI servo was engaged. Tried it again with my 24-105/4 IS. I put in a +20 on tele and just took three shots - One Shot, AI servo and AI focus. On the back LCD info, only the photo taken in AI servo showed the +20 adjustment :scratch

Can someone confirm this for me? Not sure if this is how it always worked. The AF microadjustment is set to 'by lens' and I am using Case 2 for AI servo if that matters.

*UPDATE: So I figured something out. I use the AF-ON button for focus. If I hold that button in ONE shot mode, the micro adjustment is engaged. If I push til focus confirmation, let go and then click the shutter button, the micro AF does not work...

Thanks
Eyal

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    Got the answer elsewhere. The microAF data is only written to the image during active focus. Since the AF-ON button for focus separates out the two tasks of focus and metering/shutter engagement, the microAF data is not written if the AF-ON is not depressed at the time the photo is taken. The data is still used to achieve the focus though.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited September 2, 2013
    Thanks for your research and followup. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums