Options

Rollei Compactline 130 - Smugmug refuses to show the files

jchristjchrist Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited September 3, 2013 in SmugMug Support
This Rollei camera, which belongs to the household, generates JPEGS that can be read in ViewNX2 from Nikon, and GIMP - but can't be shown as JPEGS in Smugmug. I've to attach an unmodified file directly from the camera, but it's too big, and beyound the limits for upload :-( . Can't upload an example, because if i resize it to the limits for file sizes to upload, the problem is gone.

So, what do I do now...... edit all files (about 600) per hand in GIMP), or is there any way the code guys can get one of the pictures and see what the problem is?

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 2, 2013
    Hi,
    Are you positive that this 10mp camera doesn't generate normal jpg files? Everything I have read about the camera says it offers "normal" jpg file format output. We accept files of up to 50mbs and 100mpxls, so the files couldn't be exceeding these limits. If you still can't figure this out, attach one of the files to an email and send it to us

Cavig
    :cavig
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    This is just me thinking out loud, but some time ago (back in Legacy) I had possibly-related issues with "JPEGS" from an Olympus, they just wouldn't upload. After much head-scratching I did a resize/save and after that they did upload, but it turned out that the size wasn't the problem. It was the file extension. The originals had a .jpeg extension and at the time SM didn't like that. The resizes went through not because they were smaller but because they were saved with a .jpg extension. After I realised where the problem really was, it was a simple matter to change the extensions from .jpeg to .jpg in Irfanview, from then on it wasn't an issue.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    The originals had a .jpeg extension and at the time SM didn't like that. The resizes went through not because they were smaller but because they were saved with a .jpg extension. After I realised where the problem really was, it was a simple matter to change the extensions from .jpeg to .jpg in Irfanview, from then on it wasn't an issue.

I've just tried that out now, and both .jpg and .jpeg are accepted fine at the moment, using the standard uploader.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    I've just tried that out now, and both .jpg and .jpeg are accepted fine at the moment, using the standard uploader.
    Ok, suspect #1 ruled out.

Perhaps the OP isn't using the standard uploader? Some of the third-party uploaders that worked with Legacy no longer work with New SM, or if they do they might not work with the same OS. Send to SmugMug is an example of this - the update to make it compatible with New SM broke its compatibility with XP.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    jchristjchrist Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 3, 2013
    Nope,using the standard uploader, just as I do with files from my other cameras (my main is a Nikon D5100, but have a bit of other camera's as well).

Anyway, I've sent a JPEG-file attached to an e-mail to support.

My guess is, that the Rollei Compactline camera encodes JPEG's in a very non-standard way. Looking at some other info from the files (EXIF-info) seems to indicate, that Rollei haven't read the book about standards, when they created this camera. Uploading to Smugmug runs perfectly.... it just displays a camera symbol instead of the Picture (and continues to do so)

I've come up with a manual work-around, which means importing it in GIMP and overwriting the file (can be done 1 file at a time, otherwise GIMP goes into some undefined state..... and I'm facing around 600 files that needs this 'treatment')

Btw. I know I can upload it to a lot of Places on the internet - it was more a bit of inconvinience, that you can't attach a non-processed file to this forum due to size issues.