Zeiss Lens Tests

graeme_7799graeme_7799 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited December 22, 2005 in Cameras
Hello all,

I decided since I love using my old Zeiss lenses on my 20D, I should start a thread to demonstrate their capabilities. First up is the 50mm f/1.4

Below is the whole view of a picture I took while I was in the backseat of a car and thought it would be interesting for the DOF. This picture was taken at f/1.4
Notice in the 100% cropped version how sharp each hair is. This is at f/1.4!!! I love this lens!

100%
full-vi.jpg

Crop
crop-vi.jpg

Anyone else with Zeiss and Leica lens test plz post in here! Thanks.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 14, 2005
    and the subtle color in the scalp.

Nice lense for sure.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    Zeiss 1.4
    Your'e holding a Zeiss 1.4 and that is what you shoot?Oh boy.Regards, Nicholas
  • graeme_7799graeme_7799 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2005

haha no. this was a simple picture that I thought showed off the sharpness of this lens.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 20, 2005
    he said several lenses... chapter 2 gets better. right?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited December 21, 2005
    Up next is perhaps my favorite all around lens. It is the older version (in my opinion superior to its newer version) Carl Zeiss 60mm f2.8 S-Planar macro lens. This picture was taken at f2.8
    I told the person in this photo to give a mean look so it would exaggerate the facial features like wrinkles. I gave her a softened version, of course, but this is the original with every pore poking out! 1drink.gif

Original
    _MG_0644edit1-vi.jpg

100% Crop
    crop-vi.jpg
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 21, 2005
    see, I was right! chapter 2 is very cool, what a sweet piece of glass!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    I'm hooked...
    Now that you got me, I have a few questions...whose adapter do you use? I have seen DSLRxchange but their site is un-navigatible. I have also seen Bob Shells adapter. My only question for you is do you have 400 dollars for the Zeiss 300mm f4, which I bet is super killer.
    edited December 21, 2005
    I use an adapter from www.fotodiox.com
    It is a great little adapter and is relatively cheap compared to others. You can get it for about $90.00 rather than $175 which I have seen at other places. There is no stop screw (not required) so that makes switching lenses easier.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 21, 2005
    Up next is perhaps my favorite all around lens. It is the older version (in my opinion superior to its newer version) Carl Zeiss 60mm f2.8 S-Planar macro lens. This picture was taken at f2.8
    I told the person in this photo to give a mean look so it would exaggerate the facial features like wrinkles. I gave her a softened version, of course, but this is the original with every pore poking out! 1drink.gif

Original
    _MG_0644edit1-vi.jpg

100% Crop
    crop-vi.jpg

She's wearing a soft contact lens. thumb.gif

But are these images really any better than with Canon's 100mm macro or their 60mm EF-S macro??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 22, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    She's wearing a soft contact lens. thumb.gif

But are these images really any better than with Canon's 100mm macro or their 60mm EF-S macro??

when it comes to the price I got this lens for, yes! I had a chance to test this out on a 1DS II and it beat the canon 100 2.8 It has unbelievable resolving power, which is a reason I got this lens. Get it second hand though, new it can take a chunk out of anyone's wallet.